News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2020-04-03, 20:10:05

np: Pure Reason Revolution - Eupnea

I'll be interested to hear what you make of this.

PH

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2020-04-03, 16:45:28
When in Rome - Genesis

Preparing for the Genesis reunion shows? ;)

Now playing:
Genesis - "Abacab"
I included and rearranged some tracks to make it as follows:

1. Abacab
2. You Might Recall (of "3×3" EP)
3. No Reply At All
4. Naminanu (B-side)
5. Dodo/Lurker
6. Submarine (B-side)
7. Me & Virgil (of "3×3" EP)
8. Keep It Dark
9. Me & Sarah Jane
10. Another Record
11. Who Dunnit?
12. Man On The Corner
13. Like It Or Not
14. Paperlate (of "3×3" EP)

Makes a really cool album. 8)
Still, Who Dunnit? is terrible.

Teunis

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2020-04-03, 20:10:05
np: Pure Reason Revolution - Eupnea
Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2020-04-04, 12:50:20
I'll be interested to hear what you make of this.
I was playing it because I'm thinking about attending a Gazpacho/Pure Reason Revolution gig later this year because of Gazpacho. Well, it's a kind of electronic/pop/prog mix and actually it wasn't that bad, though I won't run to my local record shop ;).  In some reviews Pink Floyd was mentioned as an influence, but I didn't hear that ::). Fact is that I prefer male vocals, but the music is okay. Now I know I can order the tickets.

Today:
Neal Morse - Life & Times
Pendragon - Love Over Fear
Riverside - Wasteland
DeeExpus - King Of Number 33
Toto - Live In Tokyo
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2020-04-04, 13:03:46
Preparing for the Genesis reunion shows? ;)

Sadly not I couldn't get tickets. However things may change in the crazy scary world that we live in now.

Played earlier

Led Zeppelin - The song remains the same

5th Concert I have been to this week  :D

Iggy

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2020-04-04, 20:31:49
I was playing it because I'm thinking about attending a Gazpacho/Pure Reason Revolution gig later this year because of Gazpacho. Well, it's a kind of electronic/pop/prog mix and actually it wasn't that bad, though I won't run to my local record shop ;).  In some reviews Pink Floyd was mentioned as an influence, but I didn't hear that ::). Fact is that I prefer male vocals, but the music is okay. Now I know I can order the tickets.

I saw their 'Last Concert' wheen they played the Dark Third which is pretty good. The are probably the ultimate prog band as every album is very different.

Teunis

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2020-04-04, 20:45:13
I saw their 'Last Concert' wheen they played the Dark Third which is pretty good. The are probably the ultimate prog band as every album is very different.
I'll listen to 'The Dark Third' and will let you know ...

Today:
Neal Morse - Testimony

jp: DeeExpus - Half Way Home
np: Kingcrow - In Crescendo

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2020-04-04, 20:31:49
  In some reviews Pink Floyd was mentioned as an influence, but I didn't hear that ::). Fact is that I prefer male vocals, but the music is okay. Now I know I can order the tickets.

There are some influences on their first album, especially some of the titles, The Bright Ambassadors of Morning is a part of the Echoes lyrics, but that totally changed on Amor Vincit Omnia.
That one was way different from what they've done before.
Never heard their third album but Eupnea is a very good album. Really like it.

NP> Dream Theater ~ The Astonishing

It really is Astonishing.  *horns*
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Just found some 45's
Recently played
Run Like the Fox - Squire and White
Space Station No 5 - Sammy Hagar
All right now/ My Brother Jake/ Wishing Well - Free
Killer Queen - Queen
Mutually Assured Destruction - Ian Gillan

Teunis

Today:
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Frost* - Milliontown
IQ - Resistance

np: Riverside - Memories In My Head (EP)

maddox

NP> Iron Maiden ~ Powerslave

I need something heavy today.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Today:
Leprous - Pitfalls *horns*
Blind Ego - Preaching To The Choir 8)

np: Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third (I'm afraid not my cup of tea ... :-\)

Teunis

Today:
Mystery - Delusion Rain
Satellite - A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset
Soen - Lotus
Subsignal - La Muerta

np: Toto - Kingdom Of Desire *horns*

Teunis

Bjørn Riis - Lullabies In A Car Crash

Teunis

Today: the shelf with the character 'K':
Kingcrow - The Persistence
Kino - Radio Voltaire
Knight Area - Under A New Sign
Kayak - The Best of Kayak
Kansas - The Prelude Implicit
Knight Area - Between Two Steps (EP)

I love working @ home 8) ;)

np: Kingcrow - Eidos

Teunis

RPWL - Tales From Outer Space

Really great neoprog album with great guitar solos from mr. Kalle Wallner and beautiful melodies 8)

PH

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2020-04-06, 09:21:04
NP> Dream Theater ~ The Astonishing

It really is Astonishing.  *horns*

I agree. This album is so much better than people want you to believe. Is it the best Dream Theater album? Probably not :) but it's far from a bad album. Bands would do anything to produce an album like this.
That being said, I think Dream Theater's peak is between 1999 and 2007. I played "Scenes From A Memory" a few days ago and it still feels fresh. In my opinion, with "Systematic Chaos" they released their last 5 star album. Although I have trouble with some of the lyrics and 'feel' on that album. But musically it was still very good. After that, I think Dream Theater started to shift away a bit from what it once was. I'm not a "No Portnoy, No Dream Theater" guy, but I do prefer him to Mangini. "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" has some amazing pieces of music along with some not so good. But the album is very long, so if you would make a disc with only the best songs it would still be 40 to 50 minutes of amazing music. That's the way I prefer to look at things like that. I was a bit disappointed with their self-titled album and probably disillusioned as well. "The Astonishing" was a step up again and "Distance Over Time" is really really good actually. Their best with Mangini I think.

Wow, that's a long rant...

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2020-04-06, 18:52:55
Today:
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Frost* - Milliontown
IQ - Resistance

np: Riverside - Memories In My Head (EP)

Some fine albums there Teunis. I was wondering if you could convince me of the qualities of "Resistance". I've still yet to really listen to that album. My initial reaction was that it sounded more like a continuation of "The Road Of Bones", but with less impact. The sound is the same, but nothing stood out to me. I need someone to encourage me to listen to it, because whenever I start listening, I get the urge to play "The Road Of Bones" instead. ;D

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2020-04-09, 18:42:41
Today: the shelf with the character 'K':
Kingcrow - The Persistence
Kino - Radio Voltaire
Knight Area - Under A New Sign
Kayak - The Best of Kayak
Kansas - The Prelude Implicit
Knight Area - Between Two Steps (EP)

What a great idea. Am I wrong to predict some Leprous, Lana Lane, The Lens, Yogi Lang, Steve Lukather and Lonely Robot today?
Actually, I was checking your Listening Profile, and I think you might want to update that one a bit as it was last updated thirteen years ago. ;)

So, now it's time to tell you all what I've been listening to, the last couple of days:

I'm really into the Anubis album "Homeless". It makes me think of IQ. It's definitely Neo-Prog. Very melodic and with an emphasis on the guitar solos. Also, anyone else hear Echolyn into this? If you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to "I Heard You Listening" by Echolyn, a great album. Anyway, I really like the last song Gone and this album is a contender for best of 2020.

Also Jonathan Hultén is something I listen to regularly. This guy just appeared out of nowhere. Apparently he is the guitarist for a metal band called Tribulation, but this is no metal AT ALL. In fact, "Chants From Another Place" is the most ambient album I've heard this year and it's really beautiful! Beautiful acoustic guitar, beautiful vocals.

Another band to watch closely is Inner Odyssey. Last month they released "The Void" and fans of Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Dream Theater and Haken should take notice. The album fascinates me from beginning to end. Please, do yourself a favour and check it out.

Same goes for The Oneira, a band from Greece and Italy. I think you could stick the same label of references on this album: "Injection". Both The Oneira and Inner Odyssey have a strong 80s synthesizer sound and AOR sensibility on their albums.

These four albums are what I'm listening to the most at the moment. 8)

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2020-04-10, 10:22:46

Some fine albums there Teunis. I was wondering if you could convince me of the qualities of "Resistance". I've still yet to really listen to that album. My initial reaction was that it sounded more like a continuation of "The Road Of Bones", but with less impact. The sound is the same, but nothing stood out to me. I need someone to encourage me to listen to it, because whenever I start listening, I get the urge to play "The Road Of Bones" instead. ;D

I am not Teunis but I agree with you about the resistance. I will say that the track Fallout has glimpses(or shades) of Awaken which can't be a bad thing  :)

Played Yesterday Pride and Songs from the Lions Cage
Today Immortal and Contagion Max which is sadly topical.

Bupie

NP Ultravox - Vienna

JF - The Jam - This is a modern world

A bit of late 70s/early 80s nostalgia, brings back some good memories. Vienna is a real masterpiece in its own right though : Sleepwalk, New Europeans, Passing Strangers, Vienna ...

Maybe I'll play the Stranglers' Black and White album next to stay in the mood, one of my first vinyle buys back in the time.

Sorry it took me a while to re-log but thanks for the warm welcome back everyone  ;)

Iggy

Yesterday
- The Visitor, Pepper's Ghost and the Seventh Degree of Separation
Today
- The Unquiet Sky and Double Vision

PH

I was listening to:

Jordan Rudess - "Wired For Madness"
I think this is really a fantastic album. This does not sound like a keyboard player's album, but rather a band effort. And a very good one at that. In fact, I think I even prefer this to the (also impressive) Dream Theater album.

Manuel Schmid & Marek Arnold - "Zeiten"
A fantastic album. It's very very poppy, but the arrangements are so interesting. And the singing is in German, which is strange for a bit but it doesn't bother me at all.

Fervent Mind - "Tranquilize"
Very clever music, for people who like Porcupine Tree.

NP: Pattern-Seeking Animals - "Pattern-Seeking Animals"
So much looking forward to their second album which will be released not too long from now.

I'm really nearing completion regarding my 2019 album list. Haha!

Teunis

I was wondering if you could convince me of the qualities of "Resistance". I've still yet to really listen to that album. My initial reaction was that it sounded more like a continuation of "The Road Of Bones", but with less impact. The sound is the same, but nothing stood out to me. I need someone to encourage me to listen to it, because whenever I start listening, I get the urge to play "The Road Of Bones" instead. ;D
Don't know if I can convince you, all I know is that it needs time to sink in. Give it some time, it's a grower. I have my goosebump moments while playing it. A church organ on disc 1 (don't know the exact track) and the song 'Fire And Security' on disc 2. But playing cd 1 and 2 after each other seems long indeed.

What a great idea. Am I wrong to predict some Leprous, Lana Lane, The Lens, Yogi Lang, Steve Lukather and Lonely Robot today?
Actually, I was checking your Listening Profile, and I think you might want to update that one a bit as it was last updated thirteen years ago. ;)
Didn't play the 'L' the day after, but it's an impressive list you mention. Great idea :). And I might update the listening profile, very dated indeed ;D.
And I've tried 'Oneira' too, but it didn't grip me enough to listen to it again.

Quote from: Bupie on Sat, 2020-04-11, 04:36:15
NP Ultravox - Vienna

A bit of late 70s/early 80s nostalgia, brings back some good memories. Vienna is a real masterpiece in its own right though : Sleepwalk, New Europeans, Passing Strangers, Vienna ...
Great call 8). My roots are in the eighties as well :D.

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2020-04-12, 14:13:32
Yesterday
- The Visitor, Pepper's Ghost and the Seventh Degree of Separation
Today
- The Unquiet Sky and Double Vision
You seem to be in an Arena mood, enjoy *horns*.

pp:
Steve Thorne - Levelled ~ Emotional Creatures Part 3
Toto - 40 Tours Arond The Sun

jp: Kingcrow - In Crescendo
np: Airbag - Machines And Men (New track from the album that will be releases in June. Very promising 8))

Teunis

pp:
Ayreon - Actual Fantasy (Revisited)
Leprous - Malina

jp: Muse - Origin of Symmetry
np: Mystery - One Among The Living

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2020-04-13, 20:58:16
Don't know if I can convince you, all I know is that it needs time to sink in. Give it some time, it's a grower. I have my goosebump moments while playing it. A church organ on disc 1 (don't know the exact track) and the song 'Fire And Security' on disc 2. But playing cd 1 and 2 after each other seems long indeed.

I'll make sure to listen to it today or tomorrow! I promise! And I will pay attention especially to the church organ and Fire And Security. ;)

Didn't play the 'L' the day after, but it's an impressive list you mention. Great idea :). And I might update the listening profile, very dated indeed ;D.
And I've tried 'Oneira' too, but it didn't grip me enough to listen to it again.

Too bad about Oneira, but we still have many other things in common. ;)

Great call 8). My roots are in the eighties as well :D.

My roots are not (well, I was born in the eighties ::)) but I seem to like eighties music, so I put this on my list.

I was playing:
Moon Halo - "Chroma"
Teunis, I know you have also listened to this album. What do you think about it? Any favourite songs?
I think the two best songs are the first and second of the album (The Web and Seize The Day), but I also really like Rise Up, Let Me Out (with the happy second half) and the funky What's Your Name. There's some very tasty electronic sounds spread on the album!

NP:
Different Light - "Binary Suns (Part 1: Operant Condition)"
Hmm... I said somewhere that it sounds like Pendragon. This is true, but the singer also sounds like Jon Davison (Glass Hammer and Yes) and naturally this means it sounds a bit like Yes too. Sometimes there are harmony vocals in a way that Steven Wilson does.
The piano is very much present in all of the songs. I guess it sounds a bit like Spock's Beard too at times.
So many references! Haha!
All I want to say is, it's pretty good! If you haven't already listened to it, you should give it a chance.
If you want a taster: YouTube sample. They do have a single out, but in my opinion it's the weakest of the album and not representative of the music.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2020-04-14, 18:09:03
Moon Halo - "Chroma"
Teunis, I know you have also listened to this album. What do you think about it? Any favourite songs?
That's right, once or maybe twice and I liked what I heard. On my list 'to listen to again', but too soon to mention favourites already. To be continued ... ;).

Quote from: PH
Different Light - "Binary Suns (Part 1: Operant Condition)"
Hmm... I said somewhere that it sounds like Pendragon. This is true, but the singer also sounds like Jon Davison (Glass Hammer and Yes) and naturally this means it sounds a bit like Yes too. Sometimes there are harmony vocals in a way that Steven Wilson does. The piano is very much present in all of the songs. I guess it sounds a bit like Spock's Beard too at times.
Already on my 'to listen' list due to a positive review I assume. The Pendragon comparison is promising, the Yes and Spock's Beard one not ;). I'll listen to it and will let you know if it's a 'stayer'.

np: Nektar - The Other Side

Was also on my 'to check out' list. Not anymore, not really my taste ...

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2020-04-14, 19:44:43
That's right, once or maybe twice and I liked what I heard. On my list 'to listen to again', but too soon to mention favourites already. To be continued ... ;).

Yeah, two times is not enough. I think I played it six times already. :P I think it's really good!

Already on my 'to listen' list due to a positive review I assume. The Pendragon comparison is promising, the Yes and Spock's Beard one not ;). I'll listen to it and will let you know if it's a 'stayer'.

To me it sounded more like Pendragon than anything else.
On Progwereld they mention Asia, Styx, Final Conflict and Arena. ::)
Actually, there was a part on the album that had a strong Asia sound. Styx I wouldn't know, Final Conflict neither (don't even know that band). To my ears it doesn't sound like Arena at all! I don't get it... Perhaps he had the wrong disc in his player.

np: Nektar - The Other Side

Was also on my 'to check out' list. Not anymore, not really my taste ...

Too bad... Nice to see you trying some of the things that I mentioned earlier. ;D

Returning the favour: ;)
IQ - "Resistance"