News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

The Contortionist - Clairvoyant (from the equally named album)

I got the hint to listen to this from my 15yr old son :D
truly demanding and sophisticated music, here....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Teunis

Steve Thorne - Levelled ~ Emotional Creatures Part 3
Gazpacho - Soyuz
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Teunis

Wolverine - Communication Lost
Katatonia - The Fall Of Hearts

PH

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2020-02-02, 17:39:19

a got the hint to listen to this from my 15yr old son :D

I remember that name. So I did a quick search through the forum, and Nicky has them in his pantheon. ;D

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2020-02-02, 21:47:46
Steve Thorne - Levelled ~ Emotional Creatures Part 3

Hmm that's interesting. I think his first and second album are pretty good. Haven't really listened to the rest. It's not on Spotify either.

Now listening to:
Thoughts Factory - "Elements" (Bandcamp page and they're also on Spotify)
A German Progressive Metal band which reminds me a lot of Dream Theater. Some parts even feel a little bit 'plagiarised'. There's also some Threshold in there and I think Haken. Pretty cool!

Before that I was listening to:
Different Light - "Binary Suns (Part 1: Operant Condition)" (Bandcamp page, no Spotify)
Never heard of them before, but apparently they make good Neo-Prog. Makes me think a bit of Pendragon. Check it out!

Both albums were recently released.

Teunis

Frost* - Falling Satellites

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2020-02-05, 19:48:51
Frost* - Falling Satellites

Such a great album! To be honest, when I compare the three albums, I think this one is the most consistent. Of "Milliontown" I play mostly two or three songs and I can't remember when I last played anything of "Experiments In Mass Appeal". That second album didn't really age well.
I just hope we don't have to wait another eight years before a fourth album emerges. They're amazing musicians and I consider Jem Godfrey to be some kind of genius. He and John are a fantastic team.

Just listened to:
Karfagen - "Birds Of Passage" (Bandcamp page and Spotify)
A really nice album. It consists of two big epics (that's of course what this album is all about) and two shorter (and somewhat filler) songs. When I first started listening to this, those two big songs felt a bit like a mixed bag. But after a while I really began to like it. There's a lot of classic prog in there, like Genesis and Yes and there's also Flower Kings and Spock's Beard. Haha a mixed bag indeed, well mixed and a good bag.

maddox

NP> Daydream XI ~ The Circus of the Tattered and Torn
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

maddox

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2020-02-02, 17:39:19

a got the hint to listen to this from my 15yr old son :D

That's quite heavy  *horns*

PH

Just played:
Different Light - "Binary Suns (Part 1: Operant Condition)" (Bandcamp page, now also on Spotify)

And now playing:
The Script - "Sunsets & Full Moons"
A very short album. It has about the same lenght as a typical Neal Morse epic. There's more adventure to be found on a Neal Morse written epic though.
Still, this is not really bad per se. To be honest I was lured into listening to this by my girlfriend. She is a fan of these guys and she persuaded me to go with her to a concert next month. It's pop. A bit rock-y sometimes, but mostly pop and occassionally even some r*p. :-X
Yet after listening to this half hour of sweet pop goodness for a good month or two I began liking parts of it. Yes, I am enjoying it. I think that (partly) has to do with the fact that this is some sort of concept album. Perhaps I'll do an analysis of the lyrics some time.
Still some homework left to do with their previous albums. Dunno if I can take a full hour of this music, but who knows!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2020-02-06, 20:14:04
Such a great album! To be honest, when I compare the three albums, I think this one is the most consistent. Of "Milliontown" I play mostly two or three songs and I can't remember when I last played anything of "Experiments In Mass Appeal". That second album didn't really age well.
I just hope we don't have to wait another eight years before a fourth album emerges. They're amazing musicians and I consider Jem Godfrey to be some kind of genius. He and John are a fantastic team.
Well, I still consider 'Milliontown' my favourite Frost* album. I was and am still blown away when I play it. Falling Satellites second and EIMA third.

np: Amaran's Plight - Voice In The Light

I really love this album from 2010. Such a shame the band isn't active again, as fas as I know :-\.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2020-02-08, 19:30:43
Well, I still consider 'Milliontown' my favourite Frost* album. I was and am still blown away when I play it. Falling Satellites second and EIMA third.

I was also blown away by "Milliontown" the first time I heard it. And the second time. And the third... and... and... ;D
Black Light Machine is probably still my favourite song by Frost*. And the title track is pretty cool too! 8) (But it tends to drag on for a little bit too long in my opinion.)

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2020-02-08, 19:30:43
np: Amaran's Plight - Voice In The Light

I really love this album from 2010. Such a shame the band isn't active again, as fas as I know :-\.

Another great album! Good idea! But isn't it from 2007? ;)

Now playing:
Amaran's Plight - "Voice In The Light"

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2020-02-08, 20:55:59
Another great album! Good idea! But isn't it from 2007? ;)
You're right. I was playing it on Spotify, where '2010' was mentioned ::)

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2020-02-06, 20:14:04
As far as I know they're busy with a new album. I'm following Frost* on Twitter and Jem is positive about 'Butterbreak Studios', home of 3 more new Frost* songs :).

jp: Kingcrow - The Persistence
np: Blind Ego - Mirror

Teunis

jp: Kingcrow - Phlegethon
np: Blind Ego - Numb

PH

Now listening to:
Thoughts Factory - "Elements" (Bandcamp page)
I'm really enjoying this album. It has just the right amount of melody that is needed on a Progressive Metal release.

PH

Mangala Vallis - "Voices" (Bandcamp page)
First listening. Not bad. I see myself listening to this again. It's in the Symphonic Prog and Neo-Prog camp. It's an Italian band, so I half suspected them to be singing in Italian, but it's English. For similarities bands like Magic Pie come to mind immediately.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2020-02-12, 18:00:22
Mangala Vallis - "Voices" (Bandcamp page)
It's in the Symphonic Prog and Neo-Prog camp. It's an Italian band, so I half suspected them to be singing in Italian, but it's English.
Could be interesting for me, will check it out. I have been listening to three albums from Kingcrow lately (also an Italian band singing English ;)) and Blind Ego. Preparing for the gig I'll be attending in March.

Blind Ego - Liquid

maddox

Now playing a Playlist of the best Porcupine Tree songs.
Currently Buying New Soul from Recordings.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2020-02-12, 19:20:06
Could be interesting for me, will check it out. I have been listening to three albums from Kingcrow lately (also an Italian band singing English ;)) and Blind Ego. Preparing for the gig I'll be attending in March.

Blind Ego - Liquid

I listened to a song, I think it was called Burning Alive, and was pleasantly surprised. Sounds like it could do very well on a radio station too. (Reminded me of Kensington.)
I'll make sure to listen to the album once it is released.

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2020-02-12, 19:56:08
Now playing a Playlist of the best Porcupine Tree songs.
Currently Buying New Soul from Recordings.

That's funny, I did exactly the same thing a few days ago. It reminded me of the quality of that band. Not every song is as good as the next, but I think I can say that every song is at least 'pretty nice'.

Now listening to:
Asia - "Silent Nation"
Why is John Payne not back with Asia? I really like this album.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2020-02-12, 20:43:57
Now listening to:
Asia - "Silent Nation"
Why is John Payne not back with Asia? I really like this album.
Asia featuring John Payne released an album in 2018 under the name 'Dukes Of The Orient'. They don't use the name Asia anymore out of respect for John Wetton. Erik Norlander also plays on this album. I own it and it is great 😎🤘.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2020-02-13, 17:40:48
Asia featuring John Payne released an album in 2018 under the name 'Dukes Of The Orient'. They don't use the name Asia anymore out of respect for John Wetton. Erik Norlander also plays on this album. I own it and it is great 😎🤘.

Yeah I know, I have that album (and now that you mention it, I just have to play it). But they're also touring as "Asia Featuring John Payne" (with Frank Klepacki on drums haha).
So they're still using the name of Asia. Also, I think out of anyone John Payne has the rights to use that name. Most Asia albums have him as a singer.
Why are Geoffrey Downes and John not teaming up again? Is it because Geoff's in Yes now? They're not that active either.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2020-02-13, 18:50:35
So they're still using the name of Asia. Also, I think out of anyone John Payne has the rights to use that name. Most Asia albums have him as a singer.
Why are Geoffrey Downes and John not teaming up again? Is it because Geoff's in Yes now? They're not that active either.
Don't know, but this Wikipedia page explains a lot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_featuring_John_Payne  ;).

np: Blind Ego - Preaching To The Choir

Released today. While I'm waiting for the cd to arrive, I'm listening to it on Spotify. Second spin, more rock than prog I'd say, yet very enjoyable 8).

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2020-02-14, 19:38:10
Don't know, but this Wikipedia page explains a lot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_featuring_John_Payne  ;).

It explains a lot, but not all.
The 'real' Asia is also active with Billy Sherwood filling Wetton's shoes. No Howe either, so there's no 'classic lineup' anymore. I think Payne comes closest now.
Seems like a 'Yes without Jon' debate now. Sorry. ;D

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2020-02-14, 19:38:10np: Blind Ego - Preaching To The Choir

Released today. While I'm waiting for the cd to arrive, I'm listening to it on Spotify. Second spin, more rock than prog I'd say, yet very enjoyable 8).

Also listened to it twice now and I think it's very enjoyable.

Now listening to:
Neal Morse Band - "The Great Adventure"

By the way, what happened to the Morsefest dvd/Blu-ray releases? Morsefest 2018 is still gonna get a release or what? The "Jesus Christ - The Exorcist" musical, isn't it?

And what about Morsefest 2019? With Flying Colors and "The Great Adventure"? The only thing I know is that there's going to be a Live in Brno release, but that's no Morsefest.

Ah well, patience is a virtue I guess...

maddox

NP> Steve Hackett ~ Genesis Revisited II

Teunis

jp:  Blind Ego - Preaching To The Choir
np: Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous