News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

How did you become a fan?

Started by POM, Fri, 2005-02-11, 09:44:00

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Or maybe a combination of those two.  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Draco chimera

Some years ago, when we were on holidays, my father let me his mp3 and said : you'll surely like this band.
Bedlam Fayrewas was just begun when I thought "ok, this is a great band."
Then, some months later,, Immortal? and Contagion.
This is when I became a fan. ;D
Let your conscience decide !

Appelmoes??

I've heard Neal Morse will be on it too!
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Draco chimera

Quote from: Draco chimera on Sat, 2008-04-26, 21:24:16
Some years ago, when we were on holidays, my father let me his mp3 and said : you'll surely like this band.
Bedlam Fayre was was just begun when I thought "ok, this is an awesome band."
Then, some months later,, Immortal? and Contagion.
This is when I became a fan. ;D

Nicky007

OK,, Draco,, so do you think they can get even better than "awesome" ?

How come your Dad isnt a member of the Room ?  Or maybe he is ?  Gelert could fit agewise ... except that if he had kids, he would have had something sensible to spend his time on  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

gelert

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-04-27, 17:13:12

How come your Dad isnt a member of the Room ?  Or maybe he is ?  Gelert could fit agewise ... except that if he had kids, he would have had something sensible to spend his time on  ;D

Nicky.

Steady.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Steve Jones

Not long after 'The Visitor' was released, a mate lent me his copy.  You'll not be surprised to learn that I thought it something of a gem and have bought everything since.  Utterly excellent band  8)

Over the last few weeks I've been thrashing the back-catalogue with renewed passion, for no reason other than I noticed a few albums had slipped into the not-played-for-six-months bracket (hangs head in shame!) according to the trusty iPod.

So many bands, so little time...
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

gelert

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-04-27, 18:29:03
So many bands, so little time...

I'm not surprised - how are preprations for the Isle Of Wight Festival 2008 going, BTW?
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Steve Jones

Quote from: gelert on Sun, 2008-04-27, 18:44:27
how are preprations for the Isle Of Wight Festival 2008 going, BTW?

Eh?  If this is a game of Confuse The New Boy then you've thrown a double-six. ;) ;D ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

gelert

Quote from: gelert on Sun, 2008-04-27, 18:44:27
I'm not surprised - how are preprations for the Isle Of Wight Festival 2008 going, BTW?
Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-04-27, 19:05:53
Eh?  If this is a game of Confuse The New Boy then you've thrown a double-six. ;) ;D ;)

"The Sex Pistols will be appearing at the Isle Of Wight Festival 2008 as the headlining act on the Saturday night. They are also due to appear at the Peace and Love Festival in Sweden, and the Live at Loch Lomond Festival in Scotland the same summer." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jones_(musician)

Steve Jones

Curses!  I thought I'd left this mistaken identity stuff behind when I changed my name from Clint Eastwood.  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

gelert

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-04-27, 19:47:04
Curses!  I thought I'd left this mistaken identity stuff behind when I changed my name from Clint Eastwood.  ;)

Clint Eastwood....!?  :o

What! THE Clint Eastwood?

THE Clint Eastwood - that works in High Wycombe as a Hairdresser, and once met the second cousin of someone who's brother's mate threw-up at a "Hello-Magazine" photo-shoot for "Best Chocolate to be sponsored by when getting married" competition?

WOW!  :o

PH

Yes, The Shattered Room is actually a place for famous people to connect.
Even some people who were always thought of as dead (Maddox is Elvis).
And I though that Nicky was actually Matt Damon.

I'm John Wayne (secretly not dead).

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2008-04-28, 08:44:01

I'd say you're John Vain  ;D

And Bluey's Britney Spears - the intelligence reveals it  :D

And I thought that Nicky was actually Matt Damon.

Here also the intelligence reveals it - just at the opposite end  8)

Thanks for the compliment, Paxi. MD is one of my fave actors. Good Will Hunting is a heck of a film  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Draco chimera

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-04-27, 17:13:12

Nicky.
1. Sorry for having posted twice the same message, this is a mistake... ???
2. You're right, "awesome" is not the best word to describe them, but words are never enough for Arena. ;D
3. My father should be a member. Soon ? Who knows ? ;D

maddox

Yes, The Shattered Room is actually a place for famous people to connect.
Even some people who were always thought of as dead (Maddox is Elvis).
And I though that Nicky was actually Matt Damon.

[beavis-mode]Maddox has left the building. Hehehehe[/beavis-mode off]  ;D

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-04-28, 10:19:30Thanks for the compliment, Paxi. MD is one of my fave actors. Good Will Hunting is a heck of a film  *horns*

Oops my bad, I didn't mean Matt Damon, I meant Meat-demon.

Yup, you're a meat demon! :D

-Paco

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

Nicky007

Yeah, maybe Cap and I should get down to the coup de grace. We'll then organise a great grill party for all roomies (-1) with the dm .... and dance thru the night to The Beatles  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

You're talking about a fanmeet? I like that idea, I'm won't organise one though, I'm already a bit busy with the Ayreon Fanmeet ;)

My drawings on MySpace

Nicky007

No, Appy, this is about fanmea;D

"Would someone please let me know how we have spun out of control ?
Has the Captain let go of the wheel ?"

Queensrÿche:  Sign Of The Times

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-04-28, 19:41:16Yeah, maybe Cap and I should get down to the coup de grace.
Soup with grains?

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-04-28, 19:41:16We'll then organise a great grill party for all roomies (-1) with the dm .... and dance thru the night to The Beatles  ;D
As long as Arena is played, I'll forgive you the Beatles. :D

-Paco

Oliver Twist

Quote from: POM on Fri, 2005-02-11, 09:44:00
Hi!

I just wanted to know how you have discovered Arena..

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there was a bloke that liked Yes, Genesis and ELP etc. Being in the British Army meant he wasn't kept up to date with all the goings on in the prog world - what with it being 198** and all that. Prog meant you wore a cloak and had a pet toad called Nigel.

On to 1995 and I was a Sergeant in the Royal Artillery stationed in Bergen-Belsen Germany when I saw an advert for the Classic Rock Society in a copy of Q magazine.

'At last! Someone else that cares about REAL music', so I subscribed.

Holy crap! I was shocked to see a letter from someone who lived not far from my parents. I got in touch and found she ran Arena's UK fan club.  We met up whilst I was on leave and went to a couple of gigs. Jadis etc. Wonderful. I did some work on the magazine (being a Mac man I couldn't resist) I met Clive and Mick. Next thing I know I was crew and driving. Mick suggested I was part of the British Army Drinking Team, possibly because I have a tendency to consume beer in vast quantities.  I left the Army and am still occasional crew for Arena. We visit now and again, my 6 year old daughter likes to tell 'Uncle Clive' where he's going wrong ;-)

My first Arena gig was Rees-Haldern Germany, 6 April 1996. The ticket is still on my pinboard in the kitchen.  Clive, Mick, John, Keith and Paul. I was blown away - the last gig I'd seen was ELP at The Royal Albert Hall in UK a few years before and I was astonished how far Prog had come - I'd bought some albums but seeing a LIVE band is always different.

I was at TAFKAT's first gig and realised that the future of prog was safe in younger hands. Now he just needs to write a new 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'

And unless they can coax James La Brie across the water (no pun intended), Damian Wilson is the best man for the job. Or how about a slight change of track and let Tracy run with it. Sorry, but Ron Snowdon just doesn't cut it for me. He never has.

It's 03:30. Best stop now

Ian
web.mac.com/ianmoff  - iChat/AIM: ianmoff
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do your ears a favour - www.radioparadise.com

PH

Great story Oliver! :o

Except for the Rob Sowden part... ::)
I think Rob is perfect for the job! (As is/was Paul Wrightson).
And when I think of it, I think Damian Wilson would make a great Arena vocalist too. *horns*

But let's stick with Rob! ;)

-Paco

Steve Jones

Or how about watching the reunion gig footage on the 'Smoke & Mirrors' DVD?  Both on stage at the same time - excellent stuff!  8)
Regards, Steve Jones