News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Mon, 2011-09-26, 11:37:50
Due to the dodgy reviews i have cancelled my order

???

Funky, read Murat Batmaz's review of Opeth's Heritage at Amazon.com. Here's an extract:

" ***** The Impossible Has Happened, September 20, 2011

... the band builds complex songs that are rhythmically evolved with exquisite drumming. Martin Axenrot takes on a jazzy feel throughout the whole album, accenting the most critical beats during the songs. What many thought was gone for good after the departure of former drummer Martin Lopez is re-established with Axenrot's special attention to groove and detail.

Like all of Opeth's albums, Heritage proves to be an extremely rewarding listen as its internal complexities unfold. The amount of detail to be found in the songs is amazing. Due to Steven Wilson's ingenious mix, the compositions are rife with nuance. I discovered Per Wiberg's creepy keyboards repeating Akerfeldt's vocal melody on "I Feel the Dark" and the very distant vocal hooks during the instrumental part of "Nepenthe" after giving the album many spins. This being Wiberg's swan song with Opeth, I particularly enjoyed his use of a wider palette of sounds, adding textures and atmospheres to the songs like never before. He is the reason why Heritage has become one of Opeth's darkest and most atmospheric statements.

There are no individual riffs or themes that need to be highlighted; everything works to the perfection of the songs."

- www.amazon.com/Heritage-Opeth/dp/B005CM9DX6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1317041066&sr=1-1

Maybe you should reverse your cancellation  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2011-09-24, 13:23:10
Just bought Opth - Heritage which is very good so far.
Arriving monday (I hope). Steve Hackett - Beyond the shrouded horizon and Grace for drowning - Steven Wilson

And yes they were sitting by my front door when I got home  ;D

NP - Grace for Drowning.

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2011-09-26, 17:46:36
And yes they were sitting by my front door when I got home  ;D

Sounds like a good jam session, Iggy  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2011-09-28, 17:40:08
Sounds like a good jam session, Iggy  ;D

Nicky.

Hehehe, it might actually work!
Mikael Akerfeldt, Steven Wilson and Steve Hackett. Sounds like a great project!

maddox

Steven Wilson ~ Grace for Drowning
Opeth ~ Heritage
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

maddox

Mastodon - The Hunter
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-V

maddox

Iggy

Bupie

I am waiting for :

Joe Jackson - Live 1980-86 A classic that I had been searching on Cd at a decent price for years.

Al Stewart - The Year Of The Cat I only know the brilliant title track but the whole album has got so many rave reviews that I guess that it's never too late to discover an old classic.

Steve Hackett - Live Archives 70s 80s 90s I don't know anything about Steve's solo career (and don't tell it but I don't know much more about his Genesis period  :-[) but from what I read it's a great place to start.

So a lot of fresh music for me. Well, fresh might not be the appropriate word ... ;D

Iggy

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2011-10-05, 14:03:45
I am waiting for :

Steve Hackett - Live Archives 70s 80s 90s I don't know anything about Steve's solo career (and don't tell it but I don't know much more about his Genesis period  :-[) but from what I read it's a great place to start.

So a lot of fresh music for me. Well, fresh might not be the appropriate word ... ;D

Hi Bups

If you want to listen to Steve Hackett stuff I highly recommend Out of the Tunnels Mouth which was released a couple of years ago. Please Don't Touch and Voyage of the Acolyte are great CD's and probably very cheap.

PH

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2011-10-06, 08:39:10
Hi Bups

If you want to listen to Steve Hackett stuff I highly recommend Out of the Tunnels Mouth which was released a couple of years ago. Please Don't Touch and Voyage of the Acolyte are great CD's and probably very cheap.

And what about the new cd: "Beyond The Shrouded Horizon".

"Voyage Of The Acolyte" is really good! Sounds like 70's Genesis.

Bupie

Thanks for the advice, Iggy and PH  ;) The Live Archives arrived yesterday in my mailbox so I am going to start with it ... which represents 4 cds !

Draco chimera

Not exactly prog, but I'am a blues amateur: bought The Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack. I heard the movie was really not as good as the original, but the soundtrack is a good piece of blues. And I found it for little more than 3 euros. :P
Let your conscience decide !

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2011-10-06, 09:04:19
And what about the new cd: "Beyond The Shrouded Horizon".

"Voyage Of The Acolyte" is really good! Sounds like 70's Genesis.

IMO Out of the Tunnels Mouth is probably his best Solo effort.

I like Beyond the Shrouded Horizon but haven't listened to it enough to make my mind up.

Teunis

Bought the new Knight Area album 'Nine Paths' after they played it live at their release gig yesterday evening. Magnificent show. Goosebumps at a track called 'The Balance'. Don't have that very often after hearing a song for the first time 8).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

erik

Re: Steve Hackett, the live box is indeed a great place to start. From the studio albums, partially already mentioned above, the first 3-4 (Voyage Of The Acolyte, Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings, Defector), then jump forward to his great 90s comeback Guitar Noir and move onwards, all the following albums are great and highly recommended (Darktown, To Watch The Storms, Wild Orchids, Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth, Beyond The Shrouded Horizon). Wild Orchids is probably my personal favourite.

Then there's his classical/classical guitar stuff, I haven't really ventured into that because I prefer it mixed and integrated in his rock albums.

Oh and regarding Hackett & Genesis, his Genesis Revisited album is a great place to start ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Sat, 2011-10-15, 12:20:17
Wild Orchids is probably my personal favourite.

Great album, I too enjoy it a lot  *horns*

his Genesis Revisited album is a great place to start  ;)

Thanx, Erik, I have to get that one asap .....  :)

After Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett seems to have been the one who kept Genesis on a truly progressive track. Tony Banks probably tried too, but slowly gave in  :-\

However, Duke and Abacab are great albums too  *horns*

But after Abacab, it becomes rather hm, hm - still a lot better than most other groups, but not comparable to, let's say, The Lamb  :(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-10-15, 13:47:38
However, Duke and Abacab are great albums too  *horns*
Definitely, they developed a bold new sound on these two albums, especially on Abacab, very exciting stuff. On And Then There Were Three they were still busy finding their way after Hackett had left. That's also one of the albums that has improved considerably in the new stereo mix by the way, quite a rediscovery for me.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-10-15, 13:47:38
But after Abacab, it becomes rather hm, hm - still a lot better than most other groups, but not comparable to, let's say, The Lamb  :(
It's still Genesis at the core and We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations I do like a lot (the Dance album was actually my starting point with Genesis), Genesis and Invisible Touch are as I said in the Now Playing Thread a mixed bag and suffer from their 80s sound and production..
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Iggy

Airbag - All rights removed.
Touchstone - The city sleeps.

Teunis

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2011-10-19, 23:03:55
Airbag - All rights removed.
Heard this one on progstreaming.com. On my 'to buy' list now, but there are so many great releases. The new Millenium is great and the new Arena album to come, the Gazpacho and Neal Morse T2 live albums, Sylvan. Decisions ...  ;).

The Butterfly Man

Today I received Orphaned Land - The Road To OR-Shalem (Limited Edition) and what a brilliant DVD this is. Highly impressive show and Kobi Farhi is a very charismatic frontman.

Highly recommended to anyone who likes progmetal *horns* *horns* *horns*

By the way (I may have already posted this some time ago), here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KiB1wQ2ZY

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2011-10-21, 19:16:17
The new Millenium is great

Teunis, which Millennium do you mean ?  Could you give us a good YouTube link ?

Here's what I got when I youtubed "millennium":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hc_n77j2T4

;) ;D

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sat, 2011-11-05, 18:19:45
Highly recommended to anyone who likes progmetal

Does that include me, Tom ?

;D

Nice trailer, thanx  :)

Interesting that Steven has a cameo appearance  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sat, 2011-11-05, 18:19:45
Today I received Orphaned Land - The Road To OR-Shalem (Limited Edition) and what a brilliant DVD this is. Highly impressive show and Kobi Farhi is a very charismatic frontman.

Highly recommended to anyone who likes progmetal *horns* *horns* *horns*

By the way (I may have already posted this some time ago), here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KiB1wQ2ZY

Tom

I've got that one on my shortlist.
Heard great things about it, even that the audience is a mixture of Jews and Palestinians.
If only more people would listen to music...  :-\

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-11-05, 20:45:31
Teunis, which Millennium do you mean ?  Could you give us a good YouTube link ?
;)
Here you can find a few songs on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=millenium+back+after+years&aq=f

Iggy

The seventh degree of separation  ;D