News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

bellanova

I received Passion this morning and Welcome to my DNA. I missed Blackfield on Friday so am looking forward to a spin of the new one soon to help make up for it.

PH

Quote from: bellanova on Mon, 2011-04-11, 16:50:48I received Passion this morning and Welcome to my DNA. I missed Blackfield on Friday so am looking forward to a spin of the new one soon to help make up for it.

I only have The Masquerade Overture. I was going to check up on Believe. Never got to it. Then I wanted to try out Pure. Didn't. And now Passion looks good!
Which one to get first?

About Blackfield. I really love their debut and the second album is very good too. But to be honest, I don't like songs such as "Go To Hell" with lyrics that start with "Fuck you all, fuck you. Fuck you all, fuck you.". It seems very immature to me. I thought Steven Wilson was far too genius to lower himself to that kind of stuff. He disappoints me...

But...

I bought two Porcupine Tree albums anyway. ;D
- Lightbulb Sun (€ 12,99)
- Recordings (€ 12,99)

Nearing collection completion.

And (just to please Nicky ;)):
- Dream Theater - Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York (€ 6,99)

A cheap DVD moneywise. Of course I immediately checked the "John And Theresa Solo Spot" but wasn't really impressed. But I'm sure I'll have a great time watching this DVD. Just have to find some time...

€ 31,97 spent in total. Don't tell my girlfriend... :-X :-\

--Paco

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2011-04-11, 17:42:48
I thought Steven Wilson was far too genius to lower himself to that kind of stuff. He disappoints me...

Aviv Geffen wrote most of the songs, including Go To Hell. Yesterday at the gig in Paradiso he introduced it with "This is for my parents". The only song SW brought in for Welcome To My DNA is Waving, he had nothing to do with most of the other songs, including Go To Hell. It even says so in the booklet. So maybe it's better to not jump to conclusions too fast...

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2011-04-11, 18:25:35Aviv Geffen wrote most of the songs, including Go To Hell. Yesterday at the gig in Paradiso he introduced it with "This is for my parents". The only song SW brought in for Welcome To My DNA is Waving, he had nothing to do with most of the other songs, including Go To Hell. It even says so in the booklet. So maybe it's better to not jump to conclusions too fast...

Yes, I know. But it's a collaborative project. Steven is participating here. I know that Blackfield is more Aviv's band than Steven's, but he could have said something like: "Oh come on, Aviv! That's a bit too much! Put it on one of your solo albums if you have to, but not on a Blackfield album. My name is attached to this."

This guy sums it up nicely:

"Steven has been hailed as a God, a genius, a King, a hero, blah blah blah by fans of progressive rock. He certainly has talent, and a love for what he does. His solo debut 'Insurgentes'  is a record that confirms that. It's bursting full of lyrical reverie, the title track full to brim of bright and eerie sounds that trickle through the ears. Go check out Puncture Wound, Insurgentes, and especially No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun (which is outstanding).

So I'm awfully confused about the new thingy from Blackfield, Steven Wilson's project with his Israeli fanboy Aviv Geffen. Dubbed 'Welcome to My DNA', this is the third studio album released by the duo (and the other three members of the current line-up who ding a triangle occasionally, or do a little insincere hoot in the background on a couple of tracks). And these are real lyrics as conceived by Geffen:

"Fuck you all, fuck you, fuck you all, fuck you. I don't care. I don't care. Fuck you all fuck you, fuck you all fuck you. I don't care anymore."

The crux of this supposedly extremely moving and meaningful insight into Aviv Geffen's relationship with his parents is completed with "go to hell, go to hell! Go to hell, go to hell, go to hell! Fuck you all, fuck you all, fuck you all!"

Steven Wilson has put his name to this."

I haven't heard the rest of the album, so I can't say anything about it, but that one song really puts me off. I won't buy albums with swearing and such so obviously present without any nuance at all.

Yes, I find it unprofessional and very immature for a musician. I just can't help it.

--Paco

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2011-04-11, 19:09:17
Yes, I know. But it's a collaborative project. Steven is participating here. I know that Blackfield is more Aviv's band than Steven's, but he could have said something like: "Oh come on, Aviv! That's a bit too much! Put it on one of your solo albums if you have to, but not on a Blackfield album. My name is attached to this."

This guy sums it up nicely:

"Steven has been hailed as a God, a genius, a King, a hero, blah blah blah by fans of progressive rock. He certainly has talent, and a love for what he does. His solo debut 'Insurgentes'  is a record that confirms that. It's bursting full of lyrical reverie, the title track full to brim of bright and eerie sounds that trickle through the ears. Go check out Puncture Wound, Insurgentes, and especially No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun (which is outstanding).

So I'm awfully confused about the new thingy from Blackfield, Steven Wilson's project with his Israeli fanboy Aviv Geffen. Dubbed 'Welcome to My DNA', this is the third studio album released by the duo (and the other three members of the current line-up who ding a triangle occasionally, or do a little insincere hoot in the background on a couple of tracks). And these are real lyrics as conceived by Geffen:

"Fuck you all, fuck you, fuck you all, fuck you. I don't care. I don't care. Fuck you all fuck you, fuck you all fuck you. I don't care anymore."

The crux of this supposedly extremely moving and meaningful insight into Aviv Geffen's relationship with his parents is completed with "go to hell, go to hell! Go to hell, go to hell, go to hell! Fuck you all, fuck you all, fuck you all!"

Steven Wilson has put his name to this."

I haven't heard the rest of the album, so I can't say anything about it, but that one song really puts me off. I won't buy albums with swearing and such so obviously present without any nuance at all.

Yes, I find it unprofessional and very immature for a musician. I just can't help it.

--Paco

Steven Wilson seems to be a guy who is all about artistic freedom. These lyrics are an expression of a feeling that Aviv Geffen's dealing with, or dealt with. So why shouldn't he be allowed to put it on the album? Because people could be offended by it? I think musicians should always make music that they like and are pleased with themselves and they have to try not to be influenced too much by what the fans want them to write.

I just think people are making way too big a deal out of it. I've read discussions on other forums as well but I can't help but feel sorry for all the great music these people are missing by dismissing a whole album based on the lyrics to one song.

To end on a lighter note: When Aviv sings it it sounds more like "Funk you all, funk you...".  ;)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2011-04-11, 19:25:51To end on a lighter note: When Aviv sings it it sounds more like "Funk you all, funk you...".  ;)

;D ;D ;D

I agree with you: music IS about artistic freedom. But to me it was so unexpected. I mean, Aviv is a bit of a 'rebellious' type. I knew that. He's an 'activist', a 'shocker'. But Steven is much more of a 'thinker'. Less impulsive. More serious, more mature. I didn't expect him to go along with that kind of lyrics. Perhaps that makes me one of 'those' guys who get easily(?) offended, but still I think Steven could have done better.

Ah well. He's working on a second solo album, if it's as great as his first, we're in for a treat.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2011-04-11, 17:42:48
About Blackfield.

I like PT a lot - they'r pantheon with me - while Blackfield don't do much for me  :)

"Fuck you all, fuck you."

SW is a very down-to-earth guy. That's one of the things I like about'm. He can say "Eternity" just as naturally as "Fuck ya". No problem there on my side  :)

Nearing collection completion.

Me too  8)

I just don't need any more Blackfield (got I & II)  :-\

And (just to please Nicky ):  Dream Theater - Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York

To please yerself too, Paxi, I hope - and expect  :)

Of course I immediately checked the "John And Theresa Solo Spot" but wasn't really impressed.

It would have improved the spot had they worked more on it and gotten it tighter, but I find it impressive anyway. It's very unusual. Theresa sings amazingly, literally over the top, and Petrucci, well, awesome as always. And there's soooo much passion in their duet-duel - whew  *horns*

And the entire Scenes has got a bit more kachunk  8)

Be a bit patient with it, Paxi  ;)

Don't tell my girlfriend... 

Hey bebby  ;D

Girlfriends don't understand this stuff  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Teunis

Received the new Pendragon album 'Passion' this week. Played it about 5 times, it's definitely a 'grower', it's getting better and better  *horns*. There's even a little bit of rap and yodel on it  ::), but it suits the music perfectly. Much better than the rap crap my son is listening to :D. Weird indeed, but you can't say that Pendragon isn't repeating themself everytime, they're very progressive in that way  ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Draco chimera

Received Passion a few days ago. Folks, it's excellent!! My favorite songs are Feeding Frenzy, This Green and Pleasant Land and Skara Brae, though they are all very good.  *horns*
And by the way, I completely agree with Teunis, the rap in Empathy just perfectly fits in the album.
Let your conscience decide !

PH

Not bought.
Got this one from iO Pages because of their 100th issue. As a present.

Mostly Autumn - Go Well Diamond Heart (2 cd special edition)

;D

PH

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2011-04-27, 15:10:36
Not bought.
Got this one from iO Pages because of their 100th issue. As a present.

Mostly Autumn - Go Well Diamond Heart (2 cd special edition)

;D

Anyone know this album? Haven't had the time to listen to it yet. Just the first three songs or so. I was not overwhelmed, but it was certainly not bad. Although it seems that the singer is not always in pitch.
There's not much talk about Mostly Autumn here in the room. I wonder why.

maddox

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2011-04-28, 00:28:32
Anyone know this album? Haven't had the time to listen to it yet. Just the first three songs or so. I was not overwhelmed, but it was certainly not bad. Although it seems that the singer is not always in pitch.
There's not much talk about Mostly Autumn here in the room. I wonder why.

Don't know this album but I do have Heart Full of Sky and although there are some interesting moments on that album, it fails to grab me.
Mostly Autumn is mostly not my cup of tea. ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2011-04-28, 00:37:22
Don't know this album but I do have Heart Full of Sky and although there are some interesting moments on that album, it fails to grab me.
Mostly Autumn is mostly not my cup of tea. ;)
+1. I own several albums and there are certainly great tracks, but they can't keep me interested a whole album. Can't even remember when I played a MA album ;).

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2011-04-28, 00:28:32
Anyone know this album?

They'r too tame for me. That should'nt surprise anyone here  ;)

Altho I do like Jeff Buckley. There's some very special magic about him  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Ok, it might seem like I contradict myself since in another thread I told you that I had no money to buy the Radiance and Unlocking The Cage releases. But it actually reminded me that I bought something earlier (two weeks ago or something).

Porcupine Tree - "Metanoia"

It is a collection of (very nice) improvisations which were recorded at the same time as the "Signify" album.
It's actually really good!

Teunis

Neal Morse - Testimony 2

pre-ordered: Peter Gee - East of Eden

He is the Pendragon bassplayer. Vocals on this album from Damian Wilson and Steve Thorne 8). Like Neal, he writes Christian lyrics. No problem for me though  :).

More info on his website: http://www.petergee.net/

PH

Finally I had the opportunity to buy "Testimony Two".
Now I only need the opportunity to listen to it.

I'm sure it will be fantastic, great, nice, good or at the very least ok. It can't be bad. ;D

Bupie

Ordered :

Unitopia : Artificial
Seventh Wonder : The Great Escape
Mystery : Beneath the Veil
Kamelot - A Cold Winter's Night (DVD)

I'll let you know about it after listening

Bupie

Forgot to mention :

Vanden Plas : Beyond Daylight

White Willow : Signal To Noise

With the albums mentioned above, it makes a lot of new bands (for me) and music to listen to.

Teunis

Have fun listening to all those albums Bupie. The Seventh Wonder album is  *horns*.

Yesterday evening I bought the first Testimony (double) album after the Neal Morse gig  8).

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2011-06-02, 07:51:54
White Willow : Signal To Noise

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2011-05-31, 16:02:05
Unitopia : Artificial
Mystery : Beneath the Veil

I'll let you know about them after listening

:)

I'm planning to restitute my loss of three cd's, and else I'v been completing my collection of Priest and Faith No More, as I could get them quite cheap in cd-shops. I also got Dreamscape's Very, which turned out to be very good  *horns*

I'd like to get some Negura Bunget, but I'l probably have to get on the net for that, as they'r totally unknown in this part of the world (that'l change, I'm sure)  8)

Guess I'l also have to get Testimony 2  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Just Arrived:

Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
Devin Townsend Project - Ghost

"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

maddox

Tom is going to laugh loud about this:

I bought an Ipod.  :-[ :-X
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2011-07-01, 22:37:38
Tom is going to laugh loud about this:

I bought an Ipod.  :-[ :-X

;D

Nothing wrong with that. itunes winds me up more and more with ebery release but as equipment goes  *horns*

Yes- Fly from here

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2011-07-02, 22:07:26
ebery release

Reminds of when the Japanese prime minister informed about his erection  (spelled: election)  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can