News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your favourite 2009 releases / disappointments

Started by Teunis, Thu, 2009-12-17, 19:33:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

The unevitable question: what are your favourite 2009 releases? I don't like the term 'best album', because it's too subjective. It was a great (prog) year IMO and it's so hard to choose, but I made a decision (for now, it may change  ;)  ):

1 Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
2 Knight Area - Realm Of Shadows
3 Gazpacho - Tick Tock
4 Blind Ego - Numb
5 Muse - The Resistance
6 IQ - Frequency
7 Steve Thorne - Into The Ether
8 Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous
9 Satellite - Nostalgia
10 Ulysses - The Gift Of Tears
11 Redemption - Snowfall On Judgment Day
12 Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day

Two releases this year that I was looking forward to very much, but disappointed me, even though I've given them enough listenings:
1 Riverside - ADHD
2 Sylvan - Force Of Gravity

I love all their previous releases, but now there's no click .... .
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Iggy

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2009-12-17, 19:33:06
The unevitable question: what are your favourite 2009 releases? I don't like the term 'best album', because it's too subjective. It was a great (prog) year IMO and it's so hard to choose, but I made a decision (for now, it may change  ;)  ):

1 Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
2 Knight Area - Realm Of Shadows
3 Gazpacho - Tick Tock
4 Blind Ego - Numb
5 Muse - The Resistance
6 IQ - Frequency
7 Steve Thorne - Into The Ether
8 Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous
9 Satellite - Nostalgia
10 Ulysses - The Gift Of Tears
11 Redemption - Snowfall On Judgment Day
12 Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day

Two releases this year that I was looking forward to very much, but disappointed me, even though I've given them enough listenings:
1 Riverside - ADHD
2 Sylvan - Force Of Gravity

I love all their previous releases, but now there's no click .... .

Thanks for this it saves me a bit of work finding out what was released this year.

I do quite like Anno Domini HD and haven't formed an opinion on Force of Gravity yet.

I seem to be missing steve Thorne and Ulysses so can't give an opinion (no change there).

Has anyone got Steve Hackett's new one?

Ah and I forgot to add No 7 - Phideaux

And I also forgot Pure Reason Revolution - Amor Vincit Omnia

Bupie

Hum, should I really admit that I haven't listened to a single one of the albums listed above ? :-[ Pleading guilty here.

But I am listening to Transatlantic's Whirllwind at the moment and I have bought a few other 2009 prog albums too ...

Iggy

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2009-12-18, 17:27:25
Hum, should I really admit that I haven't listened to a single one of the albums listed above ? :-[ Pleading guilty here.

But I am listening to Transatlantic's Whirllwind at the moment and I have bought a few other 2009 prog albums too ...

Quick name them. If they aren't listyed above.

bellanova

For me it has to be PTs The incident as my favourite this year.

Bupie

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2009-12-19, 00:53:19
Quick name them. If they aren't listyed above.

Well, BC&SL by one of the DT's, The Incident by the only PT and the live CD/DVD There's Know Place Like Home by Kansas. For more, I have to think ...  ::)

erik

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2009-12-17, 22:23:50
Has anyone got Steve Hackett's new one?
Yep and it's gonna end up high in my 2009 list, together with PT, DT, Gazpacho and Muse. Pretty good year (nice Tory Amos song that by the way)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Manatee

My best of 2009 list:

1. Gazpacho - Tick Tock
2. Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
3. Phideaux - Number Seven
4. Devin Townsend Project - Ki
5. Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
6. Porcupine Tree - The Incident
7. Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
8. Mastodon - Crack the Skye

The above are the ones (at least the ones I can think of) that I've heard that I think are worthy of a best of list.  No doubt there were some fine albums that I missed -- given how much I like Steve Hackett, I'd probably have included his album if I'd heard it yet, for example.

I'd call IQ's Frequency something of a disappointment.  It's not a bad album, but I expect more from them.

For me (obviously not for most of the rest of you since you're big fans already), Dream Theater's Black Clouds & Silver Linings was a pleasant surprise.  I still don't really like them enough to put them on a best of list, but I must admit it's a good album, and Count of Tuscany is a great song.

Mixed in with all of these were a lot of excellent albums that weren't new in 2009 but were new to me -- a good bit of Porcupine Tree and Devin Townsend's catlogs, for example.  Thanks to the Roomies for helping to introduce me to a whole lot of great music I might never have heard of otherwise.   *horns*
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Mon, 2010-01-04, 19:32:38
My best of 2009 list:

1. Gazpacho - Tick Tock
2. Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
3. Phideaux - Number Seven
4. Devin Townsend Project - Ki
5. Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
6. Porcupine Tree - The Incident
7. Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
8. Mastodon - Crack the Skye

The above are the ones (at least the ones I can think of) that I've heard that I think are worthy of a best of list.  No doubt there were some fine albums that I missed -- given how much I like Steve Hackett, I'd probably have included his album if I'd heard it yet, for example.

I'd call IQ's Frequency something of a disappointment.  It's not a bad album, but I expect more from them.

For me (obviously not for most of the rest of you since you're big fans already), Dream Theater's Black Clouds & Silver Linings was a pleasant surprise.  I still don't really like them enough to put them on a best of list, but I must admit it's a good album, and Count of Tuscany is a great song.

Mixed in with all of these were a lot of excellent albums that weren't new in 2009 but were new to me -- a good bit of Porcupine Tree and Devin Townsend's catlogs, for example.  Thanks to the Roomies for helping to introduce me to a whole lot of great music I might never have heard of otherwise.   *horns*

I find that Frequency iis definitely growing on me which is nice.I really like 313 by Phideaux as well  :P

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Mon, 2010-01-04, 19:32:38
... Dream Theater's Black Clouds & Silver Linings was a pleasant surprise ... Count of Tuscany is a great song.

:)

Isnt it great being a proggie, Greenie - in fact you can even claim to be a "green proggie"  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me