News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

How do you feel right now?

Started by Appelmoes??, Wed, 2005-10-26, 20:39:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Bupie

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2014-02-17, 13:09:48
Going to see Dream theater today,  in Amsterdam.
Will be cool, let me take my mind off certain things.

So see yah!
Cool, I hope you will  have a great concert. I was planning to attend the Transatlantic gig in Paris next month but unfortunately it won't be possible  :P

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2014-02-17, 13:09:48
See you haven't changed a bit, dear Nicky ;)

Yes, I have. I'm listening to Bal-Sagoth the whole day long. I wasn't last time  ;)

Going to see Dream theater today,  in Amsterdam.

I'll be seeing them on Wednesday, in Copenhagen. Going with my new prog friend Lars Jesper.

On Sunday I will see Royal Hunt, also in Cop.

Looking forward to both concerts  *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Super concert by Dream Theater yesterday in Falconér, Copenhagen *horns*

They played three hours, with a 20-minute intermission. Probably the same setlist as you experienced at Heineken, Mad. A lotta stuff from Scenes, as it was the 15-year anniversary, particularly in the encore, and man, was it hot !

Cool visuals all way thru, also in the intermission. Nice play of light spirits at the end - did you notice that, Mad ?

DT are better than ever. Experience them live if you can, guys !

I had my new progfriend Lars Jesper along. We met at 3 pm - first time ever irl - and talked music the whole afternoon, had a few beers to smear the throat ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Nice that you could share that with a friend, Nicky. Was it your first DT concert ?

Nicky007

Bupie, it was my second DT-concert. This one was a much bigger experience for me *horns*

There were four factors that made it better:

1) Two y/a, the concert was planned to be held in Forum, a reasonable hall for rock in Cop. Sadly Forum burned down a few days before the DT-concert. Instead it was held in Valbyhallen, which is more a sportshall, with concrete walls and stuff. The sound was not that great.

2) I had Ms 007 along. She was the one who turned me onto DT looong looong time ago - well, actually some ten y/a, just seems like this music has always been part'o'me  ;)  And some years before we met, her sons had turned _her_ onto DT; it was a bit of a thingy for musically interested youths in Sweden in the 90's. It was of course great to do this with the love of my life - both, one could almost say. But like most women, she's not into listening to good rock at the instrinsic volume ;-) where it becomes fully alive, so we were sitting on the backbenches. I felt like I was observing a spectacle at a distance, not close-up, as I was on Thursday. (And even less do I understand the people who use earplugs; why not go to a Waylon concert instead).

3) Mike II had become fully integrated. This guy is simply unbelievable!

4) The visuals were spellbinding this time. There was fantasy, nature, close-ups of the musicians, and a lot more. (Maybe they were good two years ago too, but I was at too big a distance, and I'm f*in near-sighted ....)

So yeah, this was a great experience, Bupie  *horns*

If you guys have any chance of catching DT on tour this time, well then, if yer a*es still can be moved from X-factor on TV ... ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Just noticed that Tom is in the Room, after a looooooong AWOL. Hey there, Tom, super to seeya (here) *horns*

Betcha ya'v seen DT ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

So now we just (somehow) need to get Jonesy, Greenie, and Deenie back, as far as I'm concerned.

I really miss Deenie with all his goattales - rather than coattails ;D

Cap anyway comes and goes as he pleases - I guess a prerogative for Caps :D

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

So I attended the concerts with Cloudscape and Royal Hunt yesterday at Amager Bio in Copenhagen.

Both groups are pantheon with me - yes, I know, Paxi, but you know that I'm a music nerd.

Both concerts were super *horns*

I was sad about the audience tho. These two great groups deserve much bigger audiences. At the Cloudscape concert, there were about 80 people on the floor, and some further 50 people around, talking together. With RH, people spilled out on the floor, but still only some 200. And only few - yours truly incl. - got real into it.

With both groups I had a period problem: I like the early Cloudscape stuff best, their great tight melodic songs Aqua 275, Under Fire, Everyday Is Up To You (all from 2004), and Alagoas and Fragile (2008), and in any case, these are the songs I would expect work best live. They did play Under Fire, as their finishing number, and it was really formidable, but else they mainly played newer stuff, probably not the best strategy for gaining more fans.

Here's Cloudscape: Under Fire   www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhsWXgolKoc

During the intermission, I had a nice chat with Mike A, the singer of Cloudscape. I also bought their tour cd 8)

OK, then came Royal Hunt: I was happy to see that D.C. Cooper was at the mike. This guy is really one of the best. Even live his voice is so vivacious, expressive - and precise. He's great to watch too, does dance stunts and stuff, and has a wonderful contact with the audience. All kudos to D.C. *horns*

For some strange reason, il maestro André has written extensive atmospheric stuff for D.C. after D.C. got back, ending his 13-year hiatus with the group, stuff which harkens back to the 70's keyboard-borne prog, which I find lacks strong melody and rhythm. As you guys should know by now, my fave RH album is Collision Course (from 2008) - which I regard as up there with The Wall - and the albums before and after CC: Moving Target (1995), Paradox (1997, these two with D.C.), Fear (1999), The Mission (2001), The Watchers (2001), Eyewitness (2003), Paper Blood (2005) before CC, and X (2010) after CC.

They did perform two of my faves: The Mission, as a strong opening number, and Cold City Lights. But the stuff from the studio album Show Me How To Live (2011) leaves me a bit cold. I'm not either too hot on their current guitarist Jonas Larsen, particularly considering how successsful André has been in garnering very strong musicians thru all these years.

Here you can see D.C. doing Clown In The Mirror, from their 2011 tour, concert in Moscow   www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj349Cmd3I0

So yeah, a great experience *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Hi guys,

I've been absent for quie some time. All this time I still occasionally visited just to read and find out what you guys are up to. The reason I stopped posting was that I felt that the only activity on the board was something like "NP: Artist A - Song B" without any additional information, like why you like it, what makes that song or album or artist special to you and I got kinda bored by that.

That was then, now I got triggered to post again by Nicky when I read his post about the DT-concert. I will try to become a bit more active in the Room again, although a lot of things in my life are about to change... You see, I got married last year and me and my wife are expecting a baby girl in about 6 weeks from now. To stay on topic, I feel great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now back to DT. I also went to see them last week and I share Nicky's view. It was the best performance of them I've ever seen. And that setlist! The Enemy Inside, The Shattered Fortress, On the Backs Of Angels, Enigma Machine, The Mirror, Lie, Scarred, Illumination Theory, Strange Déjà Vu, The Dance of Eternity... some pretty heavy songs!

It was a nice touch that they chose to dedicate the second set to Awake (20th anniversary) and SFAM (15th anniversary). I really forgot how great especially Scarred and The Dance of Eternity are. This tour also marks the first outing of Space Dye Vest and it stays fairly close to the original... Until near the end James sings the chorus in a higher register and a soaring guitarsolo follows.

Another highlight was Breaking All Illusions. What a song. I have no words to describe it. One of their best ever. John Petrucci shines during the whole gig, but especially in this song.

Man of the night however has to be Mike Mangini. I have to say that I'm really fond of Mike Portnoy, his musical endeavors and how he interacts with his fans. If you only look at playing the drums he's no slouch (far from that of course) but Mangini really is in a league of his own. He makes it look so easy... He has grown comfortable with the DT-material now and clearly enjoys himself a lot, trading smiles with the rest of the band all the time. A fun guy to watch, that's for sure.

That's it for now, I guess. Talk to you soon guys (I'll do my best... ;D)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2014-02-24, 16:10:22
That was then, now I got triggered to post again by Nicky when I read his post about the DT-concert.Tom

Well, if all my ramblings have made you feel at home in the Room again, Tom, then that in itself is worth it, old friend :)

The reason I stopped posting was that I felt that the only activity on the board was something like "NP: Artist A - Song B" without any additional information, like why you like it, what makes that song or album or artist special to you and I got kinda bored by that.

Exactly, Tom, I feel the same.

It's rather facile, that sorta posting, ainit ? I often felt too: F* the Room, if they don't wanna spend more effort on me :-\

I do have to mention Paco tho as the one who kept the Room alive during these later years. Without his devoted posts, I would be long gone, for sure. So Thanx, Paxi - looks like stuff is happening here again now 8)

Now back to DT. I also went to see them last week and I share Nicky's view.

Yup, Tom, this really was a great experience *horns*

And it's 8) to see that you experienced it very much the same way as I. Thanx for sharing :)

a lot of things in my life are about to change... You see, I got married last year and me and my wife are expecting a baby girl in about 6 weeks from now. To stay on topic, I feel great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, well, well, Times are rilly a-changin, man! Super, Tom *horns*

You really got yourself a lovely wife - I'v been spyin on you on FB, mate ;D - proves again that serious people do get rewarded for their patience and restraint !

So all the best for your newcomer :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Hey Tom! So good to hear from you and glad to see you're doing great!
I really missed you, we need to teach the older guys to behave. ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2014-02-24, 16:58:11
we need to teach the older guys to behave. ;)

There are no older guys, Paxi, I'm the oldest ... and if anybody, I certainly know how to behave ;D

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

We're a pretty cultured club: We got both Oliver Twist and Izzy Stradlin comin up with their birthdays :o

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

You see, I got married last year and me and my wife are expecting a baby girl in about 6 weeks from now. To stay on topic, I feel great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great to read that. Félicitations !

QuoteAnother highlight was Breaking All Illusions. What a song. I have no words to describe it. One of their best ever. John Petrucci shines during the whole gig, but especially in this song.
I am with you on this one : probably their greatest song of the XXIst century  *horns*

I have to say that I am a bit sad about your comment on the NP thing, though, and especially the further Nicky comment adding that he would have left the Room if not for PH, which I find rather unfair.

But that is your opinion and I can live with it.

PH

I agree with Bupie. Such a statement like Nicky's is a bit unfair. Nicky can be such a provocative old lady. ;)

Perhaps some are more 'loudmouthed' than others, but we should not forget that these others have a busy life outside of the Room.
Of course, I would also like to see more lenghty and indepth posts instead of "Artist A - Song B", but I don't think we should force people to tell more about it. Of course we can always ask about it and this often leads to more discussion.
I think Nicky and I are the ones with most time on our hands anyway (unemployed/low contract), so it's natural that we are most active. I don't expect everybody to write such lenghty epistles of biblical proportions.

For a time I was also bored with the Room. But this doesn't mean it's anyone's fault. And I don't think Tom meant to 'attack' people, he just observed a fact and gave his opinion of how he looked at it. It often simply means that other things are temporarily more interesting/important than the Room. Which is absolutely fine.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2014-02-25, 06:48:46
the further Nicky comment adding that he would have left the Room if not for PH, which I find rather unfair.

Well, I meant it. You guys have been a lazy lot in later years.

As you may have noticed, during the past year, I was away for periods of days, which was rather unusual for me.

But there is something about the Room that draws me back: It was in my early days of contemporary prog that I ran into Arena, and thus got into the Room. We have experienced a lot together, guys: shared great music, tipped each other, learned a lot from another, had a tremendous amount of fun, and always friendly with surprisingly little strain, unusual for an Internet site. And Cap has been amazing, not to forget - please bestow this guy his well-earned kudos, folks. So looks like the Room is quite stable (a stable for wild horses) ;)

- Nicky

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2014-02-25, 10:55:13
Well, I meant it. You guys have been a lazy lot in later years.
Well, as far as I am concerned, I completely disagree.

However, PH gave some good reasons for laziness. In my case I could add :

- full time job ;
- four kids ;
- a partner that doesn't get that I spend so much time on the Web ;
- a hard time to find the right words/expressions since English is not my native language ;
- not being a musician that prevents me from an "authorized" opinion ;
- having VERY different thoughts than most of you about religion ...

But since I still consider that I have not been lazy at all, I don't look for reasons nor excuses. And I think that a short search on the forum would prove that most of the time I don't limit to the NP Band X - Album Y ... and that many times I don't get any reply to my writings. Which is OK with me for the reasons that PH exposed. But I think we already had this conversation before  :)

And by the way, the NP Band X - Album Y (or the song/album title game thread) is still a way to show that you are there and alive. So I think that it also helps to keep the Room alive in its own way. But I certainly can understand that someone looks for more.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2014-02-25, 15:48:07
In my case I could add :

- full time job ;
- four kids ;
- a partner that doesn't get that I spend so much time on the Web ;
- a hard time to find the right words/expressions since English is not my native language ;
- not being a musician that prevents me from an "authorized" opinion ;
- having VERY different thoughts than most of you about religion ...

The first three points are fully understandable, Bupie :)

Re 4, don't worry, as we have said before: as long as we can understand each other. On an international site, we must accept that not everybody is native speaker of English.

As long as you don't start singing for me ;)

Re 5, there is no "authorised" opinion.

It makes sense to talk about groups and artists that are for more advanced proggies, like CM & SW. In that respect I would say that you'r very advanced, Bupie :)

Re 6, don't worry about that either :)

If you wanna make François Hollande God, then fine by me ;D

many times I don't get any reply to my writings

That several of us have experienced. I guess we have to accept that if it's something we've talked about before, then there's a mute participation.

Otoh if it's something that we have not talked about before, then it is nice to get some response - honest response, of course.

the NP Band X - Album Y (or the song/album title game thread) is still a way to show that you are there and alive. So I think that it also helps to keep the Room alive in its own way.

Yes, I agree, Bupie :)

But too much of it gets spammy ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2014-02-24, 16:34:14
You really got yourself a lovely wife

Ha thanks! Spock's Beard actually wrote a song about her. It's called 'She Is Everything'. :D

QuoteSo all the best for your newcomer :)

Thanks again!

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2014-02-24, 16:58:11
Hey Tom! So good to hear from you and glad to see you're doing great!
I really missed you, we need to teach the older guys to behave. ;)

Yes indeed, I spotted Nicky already being his old self already... ;D But seriously, how are you?

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2014-02-25, 06:48:46
Great to read that. Félicitations !

Thanks!!!!!! :D

QuoteI have to say that I am a bit sad about your comment on the NP thing, though, and especially the further Nicky comment adding that he would have left the Room if not for PH, which I find rather unfair.

Bupie, it's nothing personal. It really isn't. Paco actually explained it very well: I didn't mean to attack you, I just observed a fact and gave my opinion of how I look at it. You don't have to feel offended or anything, because I know what it's like to live a real life and all the efforts/energy it takes too so I can understand that one doesn't always have the time to post a long message on a messageboard somewhere on the internet.  And to be honest, in retrospect I think you're right. Maybe it's better to only post a NP than post nothing at all. Shall we be friends again? ;)

Tom

Bupie

No problem at all, Tom ;) I don't feel attacked or offended, I just wanted to give my point of view. Thanks also to Nicky for his answer.

And She Is Everything is a great track. Actually, it is because of this track that I keep Octane on my CD shelf.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2014-02-26, 16:49:10
No problem at all, Tom ;) I don't feel attacked or offended, I just wanted to give my point of view. Thanks also to Nicky for his answer.

Ok. That's settled then. :)

QuoteAnd She Is Everything is a great track. Actually, it is because of this track that I keep Octane on my CD shelf.

I agree. The Ballet of the Impact is also a great tune though.

Tom

Iggy

That was then, now I got triggered to post again by Nicky when I read his post about the DT-concert. I will try to become a bit more active in the Room again, although a lot of things in my life are about to change... You see, I got married last year and me and my wife are expecting a baby girl in about 6 weeks from now. To stay on topic, I feel great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations from me as well.

Peter

So I read all your comments and some of them give me a bad conscience about not posting lengthy posts... like it should be in the progressive scene. Is this a progressive forum, then...? Whatever. Mainly, I came to the conclusion that it's totally everybody's own decision to do it this way or another way. The time since I last heard an album from soup to nuts is something like 4 months and counting. I think I already mentioned that my taste is somewhat limited by now and I don't do music listening like I used to. That reflects in my posting(s). Only once a fortnight or so :/

When I started this forum, I wanted it to be a lively place mainly for ARENA fans, to talk about their impressions and feelings, and maybe about what other music there could be besides ARENA that fans might like. It turned out that only a tiny fraction of all ARENA fans found their way to this place, not to speak of the musicians themselves. After all, the ARENA fan crowd is a mirror of what the band itself obviously is, a part time project. Don't get me wrong, this is in no way an accusation - I mostly take the smallest of risks in my own life, too.

Luckily, a few people DID find their way to this place: you. Nowadays, the posts evolve around what you listen to and what you think about it, and it seldomly has anything to do with the original theme. Not a problem, everyone is happy, methinks. Could be more people, but the number of people willing to do what you (we?) do here, seems to be rather small. Bring more if you know any ;)

What I want to say is, whatever reason there might be that keeps you here or drives you away is totally legit. Even changing one's mind is. Informing the people in here of what goes on in one's mind is a nice luxury, not a duty... ;) The luxury we see in here is totally in the progressive spirit, methinks, so hail, keep it up, folks!

To give a direct hint on the thread subject: I once felt disappointed about the "success" of this forum. Lately, I'm rather proud of it.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Fri, 2014-03-07, 23:01:48
from soup to nuts

Cap, where did you find that expression ;D

It set me wondering: What irl starts being a soup, and ends being nuts?

Maybe a nutsoup. If you cook it long enuff. But not many people eat nutsoup.

Well, sometimes when I put on some H-Marillion, it becomes a bit of a soup in my brain, and I end up goin nuts. But there was something before the soup, this wasn't my original motivation, more like a hope. So the right sequence should be: hope -> soup -> nuts :D

Cap, seriously, nice post you wrote here :)

NP  Bal-Sagoth:  The Chthonic Chronicles  *horns*

Maybe that's why I'm a bit :o

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can