News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

How do you feel right now?

Started by Appelmoes??, Wed, 2005-10-26, 20:39:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-07-11, 17:55:57
Aggravated and going blind.   >:(

Last night, all of a sudden, smoke started coming out of some part of my computer.  I'm pretty sure it's the AC power adapter for my very nice, large LCD monitor.  This is borne out by the fact that the computer still works when I use my old CRT monitor.  The downside is, after being used to a big, crisp monitor, this old one looks very blurry and tiny.  I located a place online that sells replacement adapters for that model and ordered one pronto, so hopefully I'll have my good monitor running again before I need to be fitted for dark glasses and a white cane.

At least you still have your old CRT if my monitor breaks Mrs I won't be able to watch telly any more.

Manatee

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2009-07-11, 18:20:10
At least you still have your old CRT if my monitor breaks Mrs I won't be able to watch telly any more.

If you had this one, Mrs. I would no doubt order you to go out and buy a new monitor.  I've just deduced that part of the problem is that it no longer believes the color red exists.   :(
If not for the fact that I was able to order a replacement adapter, that's what I'd do, which would be a shame because it would take the place of me buying 20 or so King Crimson CDs.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

maddox

I feel good.
Weekend, so....

But i fear that it will be Monday real soon.  :-\
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-07-11, 18:34:06
If you had this one, Mrs. I would no doubt order you to go out and buy a new monitor.  I've just deduced that part of the problem is that it no longer believes the color red exists.   :(
If not for the fact that I was able to order a replacement adapter, that's what I'd do, which would be a shame because it would take the place of me buying 20 or so King Crimson CDs.

I always have difficulty between red and green (along with much of the male population) so it would probably look ok to me.  ;D

Manatee

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2009-07-11, 18:47:16
I always have difficulty between red and green (along with much of the male population) so it would probably look ok to me.  ;D

Hmm, maybe I'm a girly man.  I distinguish red from green quite easily, when it's there anyhow.  In any case, think of the cost to the prog world if the best we could come up with was King Murky Green.

PH

I feel a bit overloaded. I ate too much (again).

Nicky007

I'm just wondering what happened to Aswas. He seemed so enthusiastic about the Room  ???

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2009-07-12, 17:19:40
I'm just wondering what happened to Aswas. He seemed so enthusiastic about the Room  ???

Nicky.

I saw him last night.
He didn't had anything interesting to say though.

Maybe he's shy.  ;)

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2009-07-12, 17:19:40

Nicky.

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2009-07-12, 17:50:56
I saw him last night.  He didn't had anything interesting to say though.

Maybe he's shy.  ;)

It was probably the haggis.  I blame myself.

On topic: somewhat less blind

A techie friend of mine mentioned yesterday that monitors frequently have wonky color if there's a bent pin in the end of the monitor cable.  Turns out I did have one, and unbending it gave me my red back, which means this monitor is only somewhat unpleasant rather than extremely so.

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Sun, 2009-07-12, 18:03:30
It was probably the haggis.  I blame myself.

On topic: somewhat less blind

A techie friend of mine mentioned yesterday that monitors frequently have wonky color if there's a bent pin in the end of the monitor cable.  Turns out I did have one, and unbending it gave me my red back, which means this monitor is only somewhat unpleasant rather than extremely so.

Well you learn something new everyday.

Thanks for passing the tip on.

Iggy

Arrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Yesterday I finished tidying up my itunes library and this morning my computer completely fails to work. Nasda dead kaput.

Apparently I need to reset the BIOS and clear the NVRAM using the motherboard jumper.    >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Yeah right couldn't be simpler.

Fortuately i have a spare computer.

Manatee

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2009-07-13, 13:26:51

Yesterday I finished tidying up my itunes library and this morning my computer completely fails to work. Nasda dead kaput.

Apparently I need to reset the BIOS and clear the NVRAM using the motherboard jumper.    >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

My sympathies.  It seems to be the season for computer woes.  I hope that reset works for you/you know how to do it (I would have no clue).  I'm somewhat used to this CRT now that it doesn't have major color issues, but I'm still hoping the replacement AC adapter to my good monitor flies here on the wings of an iggle.

maddox

That pretty well is not pleasant.  :-\

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Mon, 2009-07-13, 18:26:25
My sympathies.  It seems to be the season for computer woes.  I hope that reset works for you/you know how to do it (I would have no clue).  I'm somewhat used to this CRT now that it doesn't have major color issues, but I'm still hoping the replacement AC adapter to my good monitor flies here on the wings of an iggle.

That (how to fix it) makes you and me both. I have had a look at the motherboard config in the manual but I am still clueless. Fortunately I know some guys who have built their own machines so hopefully they will be able to help.

I am pretty good at backing things up but I have realised my mail folders aren't backed up which means most of my software keys/licenses are lost at the moment.

Luckily I had just backed all my downloads up so all is not lost.

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2009-07-13, 22:27:59
That pretty well is not pleasant.  :-\

Ta Mad

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Mon, 2009-07-13, 18:26:25
... flies here on the wings of an iggle.

What, is that a flying Iggy, or a koanic giggle ?  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Steve Jones

Although there are many things that can go wrong in a computer, by far the most frequent failure in my personal experience is the power supply.  I've had so many of these die on me in various machines over the last five years that I now habitually keep a couple of spares in the cupboard.  Easy enough to check (if you've got a spare) as you can just open the PC's case, unplug the existing power supply from the board, drives, etc and plug in the second.  No need to screw it all in place just for a quick test.

If that's what's gone on yours, they can be had from various places (even Maplins!) and don't cost the earth.
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2009-07-14, 13:04:49
Although there are many things that can go wrong in a computer, by far the most frequent failure in my personal experience is the power supply.  I've had so many of these die on me in various machines over the last five years that I now habitually keep a couple of spares in the cupboard.  Easy enough to check (if you've got a spare) as you can just open the PC's case, unplug the existing power supply from the board, drives, etc and plug in the second.  No need to screw it all in place just for a quick test.

If that's what's gone on yours, they can be had from various places (even Maplins!) and don't cost the earth.

If only I knew more. I do get the first screen up but then it completely fails to load windows I am thinking if it was the power supply maybe I wouldn't get that far. It is however a good idea. I think I will take it to work and give the techie guys a chance to play.

maddox

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2009-07-14, 16:02:26
I feel good.

That's nice.

I feel good too.

Mrs I got the all clear from the hospital nothing else to worry about apart from convalescing.

Hoorah and hooray.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

aswas

I am here, just been busy. I have posted in different areas. I am very excited about the site Nicky. I have learned alot already. I don't kmow how to do some things on the site yet, like highlighting quotes so I can direct answer to individual, yeah I haven't had much exciting to say lately except I just shared that on another off topic I met Wakeman in 2000 in Jax FL when he was playing his one man show. Got his autograph and handshake. He is my mentor as he has influenced my keyboard playing in many ways over the years. He played in front of only about 500, but still put it all in his show, and did the autographs. Thanks aswas
don't fly... too close to the sun

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2009-07-14, 16:26:54
Mrs I got the all clear from the hospital nothing else to worry about apart from convalescing.

Hoorah and hooray.

Excellent news!  I'm sure it won't be long before she's back to normal and the cats will think twice before going through innocent looking doorways ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-07-14, 12:12:32
What, is that a flying Iggy, or a koanic giggle ?  ;D

That would be the word "eagle" spoken in Philadelphian, so closer to the former.

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2009-07-14, 16:26:54
I feel good too.

Hoorah and hooray.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Huzzah for that!

Iggy

Good

for some reason my pc has started working.

I unplugged everything apart from the monitor and power and it immediately complained of having no keyboard so I plugged one in and hey presto a blue screen of death which i haven't seen often in Vista. So I tried again and it seems to be working.

So I'm now copying everything onto my external hard disc so at least if it goes AWOL again I have everything.

maddox

It suspiciously look like you've grabbed yourself a hammer and gave the computer a gentle yet firm hit with it, Iggy.  ;)

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2009-07-14, 23:02:18
It suspiciously look like you've grabbed yourself a hammer and gave the computer a gentle yet firm hit with it, Iggy.  ;)

Ah no, I'm not an engineer.  ;D