News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

pp: Nosound - Afterthought
jp: Mystery - Delusion Rain

Now listening to Prog Non Stop, a radio programme with, the name says it all, plays non-stop prog. It's the 500th broadcast in 10 years.

currently playing: Arena - Purgatory Road (from Pepper's Ghost)  *horns*
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Teunis

Today:
Subsignal - The Beacons Of Somewhere Sometime
John Wetton - Rock Of Faith
Anathema - Weather Systems
IQ - Frequency

Iggy

Yes - Going For the one a completely awesome album  8)

Teunis

Today:
Rocket Scientists - Oblivion Days
Martin Orford - The Old Road
Pendragon - Not Of This World
Nosound - Lightdark

np: Lunatic Soul - Lunatic Soul II (The White Album)

Teunis

jp: Neal Morse - Testimony 2
np: The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth (Released today. Great album, but nothing new under the sun :))

PH

Yesterday:
The Pineapple Thief - "Versions Of The Truth"
The Pineapple Thief - "Dissolution"
I've never given this band an in depth listen. Earlier I've also listened to previous albums "Magnolia", "Your Wilderness" and way back I tried "Variations On A Dream", "10 Stories Down" and I think "Little Man". I say 'I tried', because it just won't click. From my limited knowledge, I think I like the last four albums best ("Versions Of The Truth" included). That's not (only) because of Gavin Harrison's fantastic drumming (he was not drumming on "Magnolia"), but it seems there's a more sense of direction here. These albums really sound different from what I remember of the earlier albums. And I think the change is for the better. I really liked what I heard of "Versions Of The Truth" and I will listen again!

Also listened to Tim Bowness' new album "Late Night Laments" yesterday. I think this is a nice step in the right direction again. I really liked "Lost In The Ghost Light" (one of my favourites of 2017) and was expecting a lot of (and therefore disappointed with) last year's "Flowers At The Scene". I was a little bit curious about the new album, but my expectations were low. Yesterday was my first listen and I was positively surprised! I'm going to listen again today.

Earlier I also listened a lot to John Petrucci's "Terminal Velocity" (really cool album) and a bit of Pain Of Salvation's "Panther" (needs more listens, but seems ok).

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2020-09-05, 09:23:45
I've never given this band an in depth listen. Earlier I've also listened to previous albums "Magnolia", "Your Wilderness" and way back I tried "Variations On A Dream", "10 Stories Down" and I think "Little Man". I say 'I tried', because it just won't click. From my limited knowledge, I think I like the last four albums best ("Versions Of The Truth" included). That's not (only) because of Gavin Harrison's fantastic drumming (he was not drumming on "Magnolia"), but it seems there's a more sense of direction here. These albums really sound different from what I remember of the earlier albums. And I think the change is for the better. I really liked what I heard of "Versions Of The Truth" and I will listen again!
I became a fan with 'Magnolia'. Love all the albums from that release till now. They are more accessible than the albums before 'Magnolia'. There are certainly great tracks on the earlier albums, but don't play them that often.

np: The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth

Teunis

Today:
Von Hertzen Brothers - War Is Over
Dukes Of The Orient - Dukes Of The Orient (Oh yeah, definitely like their debut much more that their just released album 'Freakshow')

Now listening to Dollhouse Rock Radio, first show after the holidays.

Teunis

Today:
Pendragon - Love Over Fear
Martin Orford - Classical Music And Popular Songs
Frost* - The Rockfield Files 8)
Jean Michel Jarre - Aero

Third listening now, it gets better and better ... Can't wait to hear it on my own stereo system.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2020-09-08, 18:40:53

Third listening now, it gets better and better ... Can't wait to hear it on my own stereo system.

Also listened to this again today. I really like Driving Like Maniacs, but to be honest, it's all just very good. It's on my playlist every day.

And I listened to Lee Abraham's new album "Harmony/Synchronicity" today. Apart from the Peter Jones sung song 'Stay', which is pretty nice, I don't like the rest that much. Perhaps I need to listen more to this, but for now, not my thing. Teunis, you seem to like this guy. Can you tell me a bit about him? How did you get to know his music and what's so good? What am I missing? ;D

Gazpacho - "Missa Atropos"
Preparing for the new album next week. "Missa Atropos" is not the strongest of Gazpacho's releases. Especially considering it's place between "Tick Tock" and "March Of Ghosts" which I both prefer.

Previously I listened to a selection of Devin Townsend songs.

And now I'm having a rare moment in which I listen to Hillsong Worship. Sometimes I hear a song (during church service) that touches me a lot, and then I'm looking it up and trying to see if other songs also do it for me. Unfortunately, that's mostly not the case... :P

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2020-09-08, 20:28:40
And I listened to Lee Abraham's new album "Harmony/Synchronicity" today.Teunis, you seem to like this guy. Can you tell me a bit about him? How did you get to know his music and what's so good? What am I missing? ;D
I seem to miss something too. Don't own a single album of him, what makes you think I like him or better: his music? ;) :D
I have played it a few times indeed, especially the very melodious album 'The Seasons Turn' is great. But there are always a number of tracks on his albums that keeps me from buying them.

Quote from: PH
Gazpacho - "Missa Atropos"
Preparing for the new album next week. "Missa Atropos" is not the strongest of Gazpacho's releases. Especially considering it's place between "Tick Tock" and "March Of Ghosts" which I both prefer.
I'm also looking forward ot the new Gazpacho album. My favourite is 'Tick Tock', followed by 'Night'. Curious what the new album will sound like. But the new Neal Morse album will be released even sooner, also curious to that one 8).

pp: Ayreon - Actual Fantasy Revisited

np: Dukes Of The Orient - Freakshow

Teunis

pp: Asia - Astra
np: Røsenkreütz - Divide Et Impera (Was recommended in the prog magazine iO-pages, but not really my cup of coffee :))

Teunis

Today:
Airbag - A Day At The Beach
Muse - Origin Of Symmetry

Now listening to Dollhouse Rock Radio

Iggy

Jp  Night - Gazpacho
Np Tick Tock - Gazpacho

I do hope the new release is as good as these fine albums.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2020-09-09, 19:21:25
I seem to miss something too. Don't own a single album of him, what makes you think I like him or better: his music? ;) :D

I remember you playing one or two albums of his.

I have played it a few times indeed, especially the very melodious album 'The Seasons Turn' is great. But there are always a number of tracks on his albums that keeps me from buying them.

I might try "The Seasons Turn" then. His latest album didn't really do it for me, although in fairness, I only listened once.

I'm also looking forward ot the new Gazpacho album. My favourite is 'Tick Tock', followed by 'Night'. Curious what the new album will sound like.
My favourite is "Night", followed by "March Of Ghosts" I think. Then closely followed by "Tick Tock" and "Molok". I listened to "Molok" today and it really is even better than I remembered! I'm not so sure of my top five at the moment. "Demon" on the other hand disappointed me a little bit when I listened to it a few days ago. It was not as good as it was in my memory. Still, I think it's better than "Missa Atropos" and I didn't really listen enough to "Soyuz" yet to form an opinion. But I will listen to that one again tomorrow or the day after.

But the new Neal Morse album will be released even sooner, also curious to that one 8).

It's out a few days now and what can I say? ;D

This Neal Morse fanboy is once again pleased. *horns* (Although I have some criticisms as well.)
I listened to it every day since day one and sometimes multiple times a day.
Neal does what he does best, and he is the best at doing it. Or in other words, he's not really changing any of his sounds. But I would actually be disappointed if he would. ;D
So I don't have a problem per se with Neal 'repeating' himself. (He could try out some new things, yes...)

My main problem with this album is that I think Neal could have gotten way more out of the story of Saul/Paul. The album mainly focuses on the time before his conversion, while the Bible is actually quite brief about that. There's one sentence in the end of Acts 7 (which is actually just half of verse 58 of that chapter): '... meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul'. Then there's two sentences at the beginning of Act 8: 'And Saul approved of their killing him' ('him' being Stephen) and 'Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off both men and women and put them in prison.'. After that, the Bible is silent about him for a while and talks about Philip and Peter and John instead. And then in Acts 9 there's Paul's conversion all of a sudden.

I agree that there's quite some backstory there, but since it's not in the Bible we can only guess what really happened. I just think it's odd to focus that much on these happenings and at the same time start the album with the lyric 'God can change the world with just one willing soul', while actually it's not really about that, if anything it's more about how God changes an unwilling soul. Of course, Paul became a willing soul and he did change the world, so to speak, but it's not talked about in this album.

His conversion, the moment supreme, is only told musically (and a short notice in the booklet). When I heard that Neal was writing an album about Paul and 'Sola Gratia', I was expecting perhaps a bit more theology around the 'by grace alone'. Perhaps more of Paul's epistles to the early christian churches. Lyrically it falls a bit short, especially considering what "Sola Scriptura" was.

Oh boy, I really have my talking hat on again... ::) Sorry!

All in all, in short, it's a really cool album! I just love Neal's way of making music. Musically (especially technically) it's top shelf material. I'm not so much bothered by 'repetition'. I like "Testimony", "One", "?" and all the other albums where Neal is 'repeating himself'. However, lyrically, as a sequel to "Sola Scriptura", it feels incomplete.

pp: Ayreon - Actual Fantasy Revisited

Also listened to that one yesterday. This album is actually pretty brave. It's very different from what Ayreon would become later on. Although I think the vocal lines are not that great here, not melodic enough. (Nothing against the singers though! I love Edward Reekers! And Robert Soeterboek is not bad at all!). Still, this album deserves more credit than it gets. Especially since the 'revisited' upgrade is such a good job at retaining an album and even really improving it.

This evening I was listening to:
The Progressive Souls Collective - "Sonic Birth"
And I was pleasantly surprised! What a nice Progressive Metal album! I was reminded of Devin Townsend, Pain Of Salvation and Leprous.
After completely listening to the album in one sitting, I looked up who they actually were. It turns out that both Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinian had big guest spots here. Kevin is doing his programming magic (OSI & Chroma Key fans know what I mean) on five songs. Actually Derek plays keys on all songs. And Connor Green (Haken) is bass player here.
I'll play this one again!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2020-09-15, 00:03:07
This Neal Morse fanboy is once again pleased. *horns* (Although I have some criticisms as well.)
So I don't have a problem per se with Neal 'repeating' himself. (He could try out some new things, yes...)

My main problem with this album is that I think Neal could have gotten way more out of the story of Saul/Paul.

All in all, in short, it's a really cool album! I just love Neal's way of making music. Musically (especially technically) it's top shelf material. I'm not so much bothered by 'repetition'. I like "Testimony", "One", "?" and all the other albums where Neal is 'repeating himself'. However, lyrically, as a sequel to "Sola Scriptura", it feels incomplete.
:). I've read your Neal Morse blog. I've said it before: I'm not a 'lyric kind of listener'. For me it's all about the music. I own cd's I've never opened the booklet from ;). But okay, fair enough.

About Ayreon - Actual Fantasy (Revisited0
Quote from: PH on Tue, 2020-09-15, 00:03:07
Also listened to that one yesterday. This album is actually pretty brave. It's very different from what Ayreon would become later on. Although I think the vocal lines are not that great here, not melodic enough. (Nothing against the singers though! I love Edward Reekers! And Robert Soeterboek is not bad at all!). Still, this album deserves more credit than it gets. Especially since the 'revisited' upgrade is such a good job at retaining an album and even really improving it.
It's my favourite Ayreon album. Love this kind of 'electronic' music. 'The Abbey Of Synn' is stunning 8) *horns*.

Today:
Knight Area - Under A New Sign
Fischer Z - Going Red For A Salad
Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe

np: Neal Morse - Sola Gratia

For me it's the first listening, didn't have the time before. It's very recognisable with parts from other albums. Have to hear it more often, but I've got the feeling this a great album indeed 8).

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2020-09-15, 19:23:22
:). I've read your Neal Morse blog.

Haha thanks! And I'm sorry. There should be a special part in the forum for discussing these things. Oh wait, there probably is! ;D

I've said it before: I'm not a 'lyric kind of listener'. For me it's all about the music. I own cd's I've never opened the booklet from ;). But okay, fair enough.

Same with me actually. Most of the time the lyrics are not important and it's all music for me. But with Neal Morse I expect an extra 'layer'. When music and lyrics unite, together they can bring me to emotional hights. He has done it many many times on probably every album at least once.

It's my favourite Ayreon album.

I think my favourite is "Universal Migrator" and then especially the first disc: "The Dream Sequencer". I love the music, I love the concept. "The Human Equation" and "Into The Electric Castle" are both also very good albums! "The Human Equation" was my first Ayreon album!
After that it went downhill a bit. But still, a new Ayreon release is a major happening. Bring on "Transitus"!

Love this kind of 'electronic' music. 'The Abbey Of Synn' is stunning 8) *horns*.

Yes! The 'electronic' parts on this album are particularly strong. And I agree with you: I LOVE The Abbey Of Synn. Reallly cool song and as I said before: Edward Reekers is killing it! Dunno what it is with that man, but his voice is sooooo nice.

Neal Morse - Sola Gratia

For me it's the first listening, didn't have the time before. It's very recognisable with parts from other albums. Have to hear it more often, but I've got the feeling this a great album indeed 8).

Of course it is! 8)

In fact, I was listening to "Universal Migrator" today! 8)

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2020-09-15, 21:55:03
Haha thanks! And I'm sorry. There should be a special part in the forum for discussing these things. Oh wait, there probably is! ;D
Indeed, in the 'Other Bands + Music' thread. But who cares? ;)

I think my favourite is "Universal Migrator" and then especially the first disc: "The Dream Sequencer". I love the music, I love the concept. "The Human Equation" and "Into The Electric Castle" are both also very good albums! "The Human Equation" was my first Ayreon album!
After that it went downhill a bit. But still, a new Ayreon release is a major happening. Bring on "Transitus"!
My Ayreon journey started with 'Into The Electric Castle', probably after 'Actual Fantasy' and 'The Dream Sequencer' my third favourite. There was a time that I bought every Ayreon album, but not anymore. I'm going to listen first before I decide if I'll buy it or not ... and it always resulted in buying ;D.

Yes! The 'electronic' parts on this album are particularly strong. And I agree with you: I LOVE The Abbey Of Synn. Reallly cool song and as I said before: Edward Reekers is killing it! Dunno what it is with that man, but his voice is sooooo nice.
I also love his vocals. Have seen him several times live with Kayak and Symfo Classics, so cool 8).

Second listening ... yeah, he did it again :)

PH

Was listening to Ayreon - "The Human Equation"

Yes, I was reminded once again of how good it actually is! 8)
And today I listened to a new song of the upcoming "Transitus", that was really nice as well.
Curious!

David Minasian - "The Sound Of Dreams"

Strange enough, it reminds me a little bit of Nolan & Wakeman's "Jabberwocky". I think it's because of the piano playing and the 'choirs'.
(Ex-)members of The Moody Blues, Genesis, Renaissance, Yes, Alan Parsons Project and Pentagram guest on this album.
It's not bad at all. Actually very beautiful in some places. A little bit too 'sweet' perhaps. Guitar playing reminds me of Steve Hackett and not only there where he's actually playing guest guitar. It's very instrumental-oriented, although there's enough vocals as well.

A very pleasant listen, but I don't think it's a sticker for me. Yet, this is the second time I listen to it, so maybe there's a chance. Who knows.

Teunis

Today:
Gazpacho - Missa Atropos
Leprous - Pitfalls 8)
Arena - Contagion Max *horns*

Will pick it up tomorrow (together with The Pineapple Thief and hopefully Gazpacho) to hear it on the stereo system :)

Teunis

Gazpacho - Fireworker

First listening. Needs more listenings, but I'm confident to say that it'll result in finding it a great album :).

Teunis

Neal Morse - Sola Gratia

Teunis

Today my latest purchases on high rotation:
The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth
Neal Morse - Sola Gratia
Gazpacho - Fireworker

np: Genesis - Duke

Iggy

I too have been listening to Fireworker and Sola Scriptura a few times and am enjoying both.

I believe that the neal Morse release was recorded remotely which makes it very impressive indeed.

Teunis

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2020-09-21, 20:47:33
I too have been listening to Fireworker and Sola Scriptura a few times and am enjoying both.

I believe that the neal Morse release was recorded remotely which makes it very impressive indeed.
Was it 'Sola Scriptura' or 'Sola Gratia', the new one? They're both great 8).

Today I've been playing my latest 3 purchases and:
Blind Ego - Preaching To The Choir
Kingcrow - The Persistence
Knight Area - Realm Of Shadows