News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Slap bass

Started by Diablos_Bassist, Fri, 2005-07-01, 18:28:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Diablos_Bassist

Does anyone know the best way of lrening it? i look at flea and people like victor wooten but i can't quite get it. is there any book or dvd that helps describe it? 

I can do a bit,  tracks like, red hot chillies 'higher ground' and rage against the m.. 'take the power back'

It sounds great a need to give that a go feeling.

??? :-\ ;)
why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly...

gelert

Pick-up an air-guitar...

Drink shed-loads of lager...

Prance around the room, miming to relevant tracks...

Post on a prog-forum...

Get Peter to post "Air Guitar" tabs...

Insult girlfriend's cooking...

Get slap face...

Easy...

Oh sorry...Slap Bass...

No idea, I'm afraid.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Diablos_Bassist

Diablos_Bassist

I have found a guy called stuart hamm and he does that great finger tapping on the neck. i downloaded some vids of his so that should help me out. he does slap bass too. man my figers are all blisterd up cus of that but no pain no gain... :D 8)

Higgins III

The singer to my band thinks he can do slap bass but it sounds absolutly crap. His hands are about 4 feet long anyway so he trys to hit one string but hits all 4 from the pick-ups to the 12 fret and also hits the body of the bass and his knee caps all at the same time.  ;D
...wot does the rest of the alphabet equal?

frenchsting

hi, there is a method by frank nelson. it learns you the bas(s)ic techniques od slapping : pop, slap,...
there is a k7 with it. i think you can get in in a music shop or on ebay...

slapping is hard because you have a big work with your wrilsts. good training...

johninblack

I taught myself the tecnique back in the 80's when it became popular (Mark King etc,etc) and I alwas used to think of trying to use my thumb against the string in much the same way a drummer would use a drumstick, and also found the more relaxed you can keep your hand the better. It seems to be a tecnique that gets harder to learn the harder you try so I started by learning a single note at a time then 2 then 3 etc, it takes quite a while to build up speed, accuracy and consistancy. But have fun trying!!

Diablos_Bassist

cool cheers man i have given it a rest for now cus i cut my thumb up pritty bad doing it so often lol i'm lerning some tapping at the mo, i seem to have that pritty good now.