News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Best band

Started by Herben, Wed, 2005-08-24, 00:03:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose Your Favourite band or add a band

Arena
48 (63.2%)
Marillion
16 (21.1%)
Fish
0 (0%)
DreamTheater
15 (19.7%)
Threshold
9 (11.8%)
Pendragon
7 (9.2%)
Shadow Gallery
3 (3.9%)
Shadowland
1 (1.3%)
Ayreon
12 (15.8%)
Spock's Beard
4 (5.3%)
IQ
13 (17.1%)
Queen
5 (6.6%)
Golden Earring
1 (1.3%)
Genesis
11 (14.5%)
Pink Floyd
7 (9.2%)
Yes
5 (6.6%)
The Flower Kings
2 (2.6%)
Kino
3 (3.9%)
Rush
2 (2.6%)
Porcupine Tree
6 (7.9%)
Pain of Salvation
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Herben

Just do a vote for the best band there are 3 votes for every user and can change fill in number 15 and say which band so I can add this band, just extending the list, later on You can change Your votes when the band is added, so let's see how it works...............
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Teunis

I'm afraid Arena is winning this contest  ;D. Voted for Ayreon and Pendragon as well. Missing: IQ.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Peter

You should have split Marillion into with and without Fish...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Deenfan

Peter, Peter... Would you endorse such a wedge driven in between the members of this forum??? ;D

Anyway, I voted for Marillion based on all their albums, or the band's general impression on me and their position in this house.

Xanxtuary

Threshold are my favourites but not too far behind are Arena and Pendragon.

By the looks of the poll, I ought to be checking out Ayreon as well.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Herben

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2005-08-24, 08:34:34
I'm afraid Arena is winning this contest  ;D. Voted for Ayreon and Pendragon as well. Missing: IQ.
I added IQ You can change Your vote if You want

Proglady

Hm, there is Like Wendy missing.  ::)  I think they are good to.  :)

Herben

Quote from: Proglady on Wed, 2005-08-24, 18:21:56
Never heard of that!!!

The Voyager

Quote from: Proglady on Wed, 2005-08-24, 18:21:56

Like Wendy is rather good . Although this band hasn't any great album.

Proglady

Quotefrom: Herben
Never heard of that!!!

The Bands name is Like Wendy, not just Wendy  ;)

Proglady

Quote from: The Voyager on Wed, 2005-08-24, 20:32:39
Like Wendy is rather good . Although this band hasn't any great album.
Have you heard the new album "Endgame"???

Appelmoes??

Ooooh, I'm so sorry, but Arena didn't got a vote from me :-[ (Don't bannish me Peter! [With sticks and torches in hand, the angry villagers drive Ayreon out of their demesne])

I voted for Ayreon, Dream Theater and Threshold. Arena would have come on the 4th place. I voted for these bands because I love all their albums as with Arena 'Pride' is an album I rarely play. Ayreon will always have a special place, because Into the Electric Castle introduced me to Prog. Still it was a very hard choice, but I had to be honest to myself. Arena will always be a one of the best bands in my personal little world history...

If only there where more votes possible... :'(
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Proglady

Okay, I voted for Arena and Ayreon. One is still missing  ::) I also do like Threshold, Shadow Gallery, IQ, Kayak and Like Wendy......... :)

Proglady

@ Applemoes??
I Totaly agree with you, there should have been more votes possible 

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Proglady on Wed, 2005-08-24, 21:20:25
@ Applemoes??
I Totaly agree with you, there should have been more votes possible 
Thank you :) And maybe I will have changed my mind when I have seen Arena live!
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-08-24, 21:12:26
Ooooh, I'm so sorry, but Arena didn't got a vote from me :-[ (Don't bannish me Peter! [With sticks and torches in hand, the angry villagers drive Ayreon out of their demesne])

*cough*
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

maddox

Okay, here we go...

Choice number one is obvious: Dream Theater. I haven't seen them for over 6 times for no reason.
Choice number two is a bit more difficult: If i would vote for anything different than ARENA, you all would exspel me from this forum. (You might do that anyway since i voted for Dream Theater as number one  :D).
So, yes, after a period of thinking i choose ARENA as number two.
But then choice number three: I should choose for Ayreon, 'cos i'm a really big fan of their/his music, but in the end i think i would have to choose for Spocks Beard. Even though he left the band a while back, i still consider Neal Morse as the best songwriter in Prog. music. Just like Mike Portnoy once said in an interview ( i think it was in AARDSCHOK, a dutch metal-magazine), "it doesn't matter if he writes about peanutbutter or God, its all fantastic". Well, i've got nothing more to add, then.

I miss a few bands, though. Why not The Flower Kings? Or Symphony X? Echolyn would be nice as well. You can always put them under "other", but they are worth to mention. Just like Galleon. But, the danger of a too long list, would be the amount of time of hesitating, though.  :-\

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Voyager

QuoteHave you heard the new album "Endgame"???

I didn't listen to it yet.  :(

JJ II

Difficult question, since this largely depends on my mood....
I said Arena, Ayreon and IQ, but Pendragon, Camel and Kayak are close as well....

Marillion and Fish are difficult, because I really, really love them, but I don't like the last 2-3 albums they did.... so this is my 'current' list, based on the most recent albums of the bands... that's why Spock's Beard missed the poll as well...

Also Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson are missing. Let alone my non-prog favourites: Queen and The Beatles!

CygnusX1

I voted for Arena, IQ, and Other, the other being of course Rush, still my all-time faves.  I think Porcupine Tree and Marillion (both Fish and H eras) would have to be up there somewhere too though. :)

Proglady

Quote from: JJ II on Thu, 2005-08-25, 14:05:45
Difficult question, since this largely depends on my mood....
I said Arena, Ayreon and IQ, but Pendragon, Camel and Kayak are close as well....

Marillion and Fish are difficult, because I really, really love them, but I don't like the last 2-3 albums they did.... so this is my 'current' list, based on the most recent albums of the bands... that's why Spock's Beard missed the poll as well...

Also Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson are missing. Let alone my non-prog favourites: Queen and The Beatles!
I agree on the last part of your post with you.  :)

gelert

WOW....

What a great topic for a thread...

AND, with the ability to ADD bands...

OK...So I havent't voted, er, yet...

The Who.
Citizen Cain.
After The Fire.
Saga...their latest CD is a real return-to-form (Peter  ;) )
The Good Rats.
Evanescence.
Twelfth Night.
Nightwish.
Night Ranger.
Abba.
The Enid.
Focus.
ELP.
10CC
And...any band that showcases on a Northern Railway Station, and includes free beer for the audience...

Ah...at this rate, the list MAY become longer than the thread + posts.

:D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Herben

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-08-24, 10:12:01
You should have split Marillion into with and without Fish...
Then You can split Arena in 3, one with John Carson, one with Paul Wrightson and one with Rob Sowden, that will make it too compicated, the Marillion fans can go to the other site where they can choose between H and Fish as a singer of the band

Herben

Quote from: CygnusX1 on Thu, 2005-08-25, 15:56:16
I voted for Arena, IQ, and Other, the other being of course Rush, still my all-time faves.  I think Porcupine Tree and Marillion (both Fish and H eras) would have to be up there somewhere too though. :)
Marillion was in the list unsplitted, only 2 bandmembers have changed through the years, Fish and Mick Pointer, yes the music is different, but the H era also has changed, just look at Seasons end and the album Marbles. When I hear Clutching at Straws, then I can hear development in the music towards Seasons End as well, if You think away the voice.

Proglady

:o The list of Bands is getting longer and longer, maybe I should have waited with my votes ::).................

No, arena first and Ayreon second is okay  ;D