News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dream Theater sign with Roadrunner Records! "Systematic Chaos" due 07/06/2007!!!

Started by The Butterfly Man, Thu, 2007-02-08, 23:11:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-05-24, 00:31:18
To you post-Scenes DT fans, if you haven't yet listened to Thought Chamber's Angular Perceptions, you're missing something bigtime. The style is quite similar to that of the first CD of Six Degrees.

Nicky.

Never heard of Thought Chamber before  ??? I am going to check it out.

Nicky007

Hm, I better take the quote, now that it's Bupie. OK, Bupie, hope you're pleased:

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2007-05-25, 11:22:04
Never heard of Thought Chamber before  ??? I am going to check it out.

Then also check out Michael Harris' other albums, particularly Distorted Views and Orchestrate. You can see what I've written about MH in my Genius List (Listening Profile).

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

*SPOILER ALERT*

Ladies and gents, look here for some Dream Theater Goodies.

But beware: there are some footages of the Studio-sessions as well a part of a (not going to say which one  ;D) of the new album.  *horns*

Enjoy yourselfs.  ;D

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Fri, 2007-02-09, 16:39:08
I might repeat myself, but I still can't stand to listen to DT more than 10 or 15 minutes in a row. They are real geniusses on their instruments and I find their compositions extremely interesting, but James' voice simply drives me crazy.

"Stop wailing, James, I really didn't steal your purse...."

Too bad :)

A German, who has humor. Wow!  :D

The captain thinks La Brie is cheezy.

Well, objectively I would not consider him (LaBrie, that is) one of the greatest singers (that would be Rob Sowden, Mac, Chris Cornell, Ray Alder, and a few more), but he (still LaBrie) really belongs to the DT-sound, and I would fight to death to keep him there.

Hey, I just got an idea for a new topic. Wait and see. I think that this will bring him (the captain this time) down from the command post for a moment.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Okay ladies and gentlemen, I seriously cannot wait any longer, it's killing me!!! Must.....stay......away.......from.......downloading.......aaaahhhhrrrrggghhhh!!! :-\

Just a couple of days left...

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Can empathise with your agony, Tom. Looking forward to your eval and comparison with earlier DT-albums. After all, you're the DT-expert around here (hi Maddox, PH and Bupie).

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-05-30, 11:19:12
Can empathise with your agony, Tom. Looking forward to your eval and comparison with earlier DT-albums. After all, you're the DT-expert around here (hi Maddox, PH and Bupie).

Nicky.

Hi Nicky,

Re-listened to SDOIT last week-end and it is still freaking awesome !!! Well, my girlfriend has a slightly different appreciation on it  :-[ so I feel like I am in a solitary shell sometimes ...

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2007-05-30, 15:42:05
Re-listened to SDOIT last week-end and it is still freaking awesome !!!

Betcha, I also listen to it daily. I've realised now that Octavarium is genius too. I love that Floyd atmosphere on Oct.

> Well, my girlfriend has a slightly different appreciation on it  :-[ so I feel like I am in a solitary shell sometimes ...

I haven't yet met a woman who enjoys Six Degrees and the following DT-albums. They don't seem to be in the Room either, or?

And living in the French countryside probably adds to the solitary experience.

Arena are more easily appreciated, which however doesn't make them less prog.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

I just received two mails saying that both editions are on its way.  ;D

Me very happy.  *horns*

The Butterfly Man

I've got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally! So now I lock myself away from the world for the rest of the day, trying to digest it all.....

See ya tomorrow!! *horns* *horns* *horns*

Tom

Nicky007

Congrats!

Remember to give us a solid evaluation after some listens.

So you've started marketing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s. PH does the oooooooooooo's, and I the .................'s. I've already plundered Appelmoes' piggy bank because of his ............ addiction.

I've also started selling umlauts to Maddox. He pays well, because he needs them badly.

Dinnertime, Tom! You gotta get some physical food, or else you'll get the other DT.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2007-06-01, 13:01:43
I've got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally! So now I lock myself away from the world for the rest of the day, trying to digest it all.....

See ya tomorrow!! *horns* *horns* *horns*

Tom

Congrats, Tom. I received my Deluxe set today so i have it too. The artwork looks awesome. Haven't had the time yet to watch the DVD but i'm sure i will this weekend.

No. 1 in my end of the year list already.  :D *horns*

*Me happy.  ;D

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-06-01, 14:41:21
So you've started marketing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s.

That's absolutely not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D :P

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2007-06-02, 01:06:07
Congrats, Tom. I received my Deluxe set today so i have it too.

Congrats to you too! I like it a lot! Favourites so far are In The Presence Of Enemies (part 1 and 2) and The Ministry Of Lost Souls.

More details later, I have to listen to it again... *horns*

Tom

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sat, 2007-06-02, 17:36:25

Congrats to you too! I like it a lot! Favourites so far are In The Presence Of Enemies (part 1 and 2) and The Ministry Of Lost Souls.

More details later, I have to listen to it again... *horns*

Tom

Couldn't agree with you more, Tom.  :D
Must admit that i personally think that Prophets Of War is from a lesser quality, mind you lesser not total crap since i do like the song, but overall it's an extremely good album.

Combine Six Degrees with Train Of Thought and you'll end up with Systematic Chaos.  *horns* *horns* *horns*

I think you are going to like this album too, Nicky.  :D

POM

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-05-30, 21:43:51

I haven't yet met a woman who enjoys Six Degrees and the following DT-albums. They don't seem to be in the Room either, or?

And living in the French countryside probably adds to the solitary experience.

Arena are more easily appreciated, which however doesn't make them less prog.

Nicky.

Yeahhhhhh I'm a woman, and I enjoy DT very much! Before and after Six degrees (I must admit I prefer the second disc of this one...)  *ola*
First my boyfriend was in his solitary shell listening to them, but I join quite fast! Without any regrets ! ;D ;)

I can't wait to be on Friday night at Esch to seem them on stage (with Riverside as guest, it will be a terribly good evening for me!)

Speaking of "Systematic Chaos", I have some difficulty to hear "Dark Eternal Night", but I'm listening with pleasure all the rest!!!!  *horns* Less "commercial" than Octovarium... more metal  *horns*.

For now my favourite is Forsaken, but I also like Constant Motion a lot, as well as In the Presences of Ennemies... well and all the album except that N°4 song!  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: POM on Tue, 2007-06-12, 11:53:26
Yeahhhhhh I'm a woman, and I enjoy DT very much! Before and after Six degrees

Great! And you can even share the joy with your boyfriend.

And at last a Belgian turns up in the room. I'll have to drink a Blue Chimay on that. Your beers alone make you valuable to the world.

And enjoy DT and Riverside fully on Friday, and know that you're representing a lot of Roomies there.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

DT are gonna have a gig in my hometown on October 9th!!!!! *horns* *horns* *horns*

This is my first post in quite a while, but you see, I'm totally floored by Systematic Chaos ;D

Tom

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2007-06-17, 13:07:47
DT are gonna have a gig in my hometown on October 9th!!!!! *horns* *horns* *horns*

This is my first post in quite a while, but you see, I'm totally floored by Systematic Chaos ;D

Tom

Yeah, I was actually missing you for a while, Tom, i.a. for our fave five poll. As you probably noticed, DT lost to IQ and Porcupine Tree. Looks like people here are more on the light side.

Are you going to the gig in your hometown?  ;D

What is your hometown, btw?

OK, hope to see you around bit more now.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

According to the date it must be Rotterdam.  ;D

Well, i'm already going to the gig in Antwerpen on October 4th so i think i will miss that one.  :-\

Nicky007

Typical: They're playing in Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki, even Warsaw, and I don't know how many places in England and Germany; and where are they not playing: Copenhagen, of course. It's as if you had a map of Europe, where there was light all over the place, and a black splotch between Germany and Sweden. I can only say one thing: Good grief.

Cap, you can send all your lederhosen-bands to Denmark instead.

Guess I'll have to catch an X2000 to Stockholm. Fortunately it's summer.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

I was not owherwelmed by the first listens but now the album is (strongly) growing on me : my favorite so far are ITPOTE part 1 and Prophets of War (my 8 and 4 years old kids like this one too) but I know by experience that this is prone to frequent turnover. No real bad song overall IMHO.

And only 5 days left before the Clermont-Ferrand gig !!!  ;D

I took a quick look at the different setlists since the beginning of this european leg and only three songs of SC are played : Constant Motion, TDEN and Forsaken.

I guess they will play more of the new album when they return in autumn. Maybe tuesday I will have the pleasure to listen to the entire I&W since it seems that they played it a few times on this leg.

I will tell you that next wednesday (or a little bit later if I need time to recover  ;))

Bupie

Fasten your seatbelts, ladies and gents, because it's time to review the concert of the year, decade, century ... ?  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Finally, I put my report on Progarchives, in the dedicated section for live reviews : http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39471, but I'd rather discuss here because I find people definitively and infinitely nicer in the Shattered Room  8)

Great show, anyway : go and see them at first occasion, especially in a small venue.

Nicky007

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Bupie. Sounds like it was a great concert. Makes me look even more forward to their gig in Stockholm, September 28.

One of the things I like about DT is that they prefer to play in moderately sized concert halls. With their current fan base, they could play the big places.

I've been wondering about, what's Jamie like as frontman? What are the audience like (age, hair, dress, etc)?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2007-07-01, 18:13:39

I've been wondering about, what's Jamie like as frontman? What are the audience like (age, hair, dress, etc)?

Nicky.

As I said in  my review, James is a much better frontman than I expected. And the audience was very diverse in age and looks, but no many long hair and metal looks, though ...