News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Immortal?

Started by Peter, Thu, 2005-02-03, 22:29:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Today I gave Immortal another spin (after listening to PG for the last two weeks in a row), while biking through town. People gave me strange looks because of my singing along the lyrics ;) Man, did I enjoy it (the album, not the looks)!
That's the good thing about the Arena stuff; it's all so good, that you can come back to it after a while and re-discover it, cos it is so rich in details.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Draddi

Hi Peter,

what's uuuup ? Sorry that I haven't posted in a while, but you know why... :)

You know, one day you'll get yourself seriously injured if you keep listening to music on your bike.... ;)
Anyway, I arrived safely and I am trying to find Peppers Ghost around here in stores but haven't been succesful yet, so I might order it online and get it send to your adress, is that ok ?
The next one visiting me can grab it and bring it to me then.
I agree with you, Immortal get's you again and again, and for me it's anyway a special album, because it was the first Arena album I listened to.

And by the way, again, great idea starting this forum !

Talk to you soon !

Appelmoes??

Moviedrome always gives me chill's, that how good it is. And Friday's dream is warm en calm, just like waking up from a nice dream :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Yeah.... perfect! What else is there to say...

Appelmoes??

Well, there are 5 other songs on the album ;)

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Sorry, I was actually referring to the *whole* album :)

Mark Jan

Moviedrome is definitely the best song (actually you can't call a twenty minute piece of music just a song!  ;)) of Immortal. But don't forget The Butterfly man, whoa what a good song! It was the first song of Arena I discovered and therefore Immortal was my first Arena-album I bought. It wasn't my only Arena-album for a long time. The rest followed soon.

POM

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sun, 2005-02-06, 19:44:41
Moviedrome always gives me chill's, that how good it is. And Friday's dream is warm en calm, just like waking up from a nice dream :)

Totally agree to that!  ;D

The Voyager

Newcomer frontman Rob Sowden was indeed a worthy addition to the group, and "Immortal?" - the fourth studio release sees them taking big stride from 1998's "The Visitor"... One way or another, "Immortal?" is to be praised by every real Arena's fan. Great stuff!  :-*

Appelmoes??

Quote from: The Voyager on Sun, 2005-03-06, 14:03:32One way or another, "Immortal?" is to be praised by every real Arena's fan.
So is Contagion ;)

My drawings on MySpace

The Voyager

Let's agree to differ, Appelmoes. In my personal view, "Contagion" is the worst effort of Arena. And I'm not the only one who think so...

Moonloop

Quote from: The Voyager on Tue, 2005-03-08, 08:43:29
Let's agree to differ, Appelmoes. In my personal view, "Contagion" is the worst effort of Arena. And I'm not the only one who think so...

I'd agree with that. Doesn't do anything for me at all (apart from the odd track). I'll still buy Contagion Max though. Probably  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Appelmoes??

Quote from: The Voyager on Tue, 2005-03-08, 08:43:29
Then don't go saying things about what 'real fans' should like ;)

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Eeek, folks, keep it cool. Taste is nothing to quarrel about. To discuss at best, and that's what we're here for.

The Voyager

Cos, I am devoted fan of ARENA, but I don't wanna be a flattery man. Bitter truth is better than any nice lie. Get me right.

Appelmoes??

First you say: '"Immortal?" is to be praised by every real Arena's fan'

Then you say: ' Let's agree to differ'

To me that's a little contradictory. If you say it's ok to 'differ', then you shouldn't say that someone is only a real Arena-fan if you really like 'Immortal?' That's just the point I was trying to make. But because english isn't my native language, the thing I say might seem a little harsh, sorry bout that.

My drawings on MySpace

The Voyager

In simple phrase "let's agree to differ" means that you and me can view the same matter in a different light. Nothing more. So please, don't be offended. By the way, english is not my native language too. :)

Appelmoes??

Well, then we're okay with that :)

My drawings on MySpace

The Voyager

The show must go on.

Constable Hogweed

Quote from: The Voyager on Wed, 2005-03-09, 14:23:38
The show must go on.

How did Leo Sayer get into this  ???    ;D   ;)

The Voyager

As far as I remember, Leo Sayer's hit was very impressive. ;D

The Fury

To me the thing that's best about Immortal is the heavier edge.
First time I played Ghost in the Firewall it almost blew off all the little things (like bottles and stuff) that were standing on my stereo boxes. I really enjoyed this new sound. But the thing is I don't find Immortal symphonic enough for my taste. So even though the album does really rock and I consider it a worthy part of my collection, to me Immortal is the least of the newer albums (Visitor, Immortal, Contagion). I haven't heard PG often enough to add it to the lot.
Why do you laugh at my hopeless appeal for your mercy?

The Voyager

In my view, "Immortal?" was the second of their best albums ever(next neighbour of "The Visitor").

psychopomp95

Immortal isn't "symphonic" enough? Funny... IMO, from a symphonic/orchestral viewpoint, it might be the strongest thing they've ever done! Almost every song has a really cinematic, movie-soundtrack-like quality, ESPECIALLY the two epics... and isn't that melodic theme of "Moviedrome" completely epic-sounding? :D It would fit perfectly into Star Wars or some other such classic, if you ask me! I guess the argument can be made that the album doesn't 'tie together' from one song to the next, so in that sense it isn't as symphonic. But on their own merits, the songs are very deep in that regard!
And I can relate with "Ghost in the Firewall"... I first listened to it on a system with a good sub, and I couldn't really HEAR anything to begin with, but before I knew it, the floor was shaking! :p Nice mixing, Clive/Simon! And I think the tune itself is excellent, too!

Deenfan

I never thought they would top "Immortal?", that's for sure. But of course, along came the even stronger "Contagion", which led me to wonder how the hell they were gonna get out of that one. The answer was releasing something completely different in Pepper's ghost, where "The visitor", "Immortal" and "Contagion" had some more common ground. The concept feeling, first and foremost.

Of course, "The butterfly man" and "Ghost in the firewall" are songs that nothing can be compared to. I mean, even if it's probably better (how would that sound??), those are really unique. Must be a few proud songwriters on your island!