News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Genesis reunion

Started by maddox, Thu, 2006-10-19, 13:32:32

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Quote from: JJ II on Wed, 2006-11-08, 14:52:25
Don't forget Afterglow, which was mentioned by Tony Banks.

Daryl Stuermer admitted in a radio-interview he was asked to learn The Carpet Crawl as well   :)

That would be awesome.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Appelmoes??

They are charging €100.- and more for tickets! I'm soooo mad that they have the nerve to squeeze that much money out of their biggest fans!
(If I was a fan, I would outraged btw...)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2006-11-10, 22:55:26
They are charging €100.- and more for tickets! I'm soooo mad that they have the nerve to squeeze that much money out of their biggest fans!
(If I was a fan, I would outraged btw...)

We can all make our supicions as to what the purpose of this tour is. I have several ideas:
1) romantic: the guys really need the audience
2) down-to-earth: the guys really need the money

The truth is most probably somewhere in between. The guys surely *want* to do the tour, for the more romantic reasons, but then again they don't want to like a world tour with dozens of gigs. So the management picks out the really huge venues and they charge like crazy so that a) a revenue for the musicians and b) a revenue for the management is created. Bang, there you are at 100 bucks...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Appelmoes??

They could have charged around € 60,-. That's still a lot of money, but it's a hell of a lot more payable.

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Maybe we all should consider what it costs to make a tour like this. Remember PH's desperate but very brave ( *horns*) attempt to bring Frost* over for a gig? 35 euro's if i recall correctly per hour. And that's only Frost* (no offence  ;)). Genesis is somewhat bigger as a band and well known over the entire world and thus far needs more men/material/equipment to create only one gig. 100 Euro's or more is indeed quite heavy and Genesis surely aren't doing it for the fans alone but with all the high prices on almost everything in live today i think it's quite accurate, though it stays a lot of money.  :-\

Appelmoes??

But the costs for the venue, the tourmanager, the roadie ad stuff are all fixed. They don't cost more than with normal gigs. Maybe a little since it's a world tour, but I can't imagine that will have an amazing effect on their paycheck. That's why I think € 100,- is too much, even for the cheapest ticket!

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sat, 2006-11-11, 19:29:51
But the costs for the venue, the tourmanager, the roadie ad stuff are all fixed.

You maybe right about that but for example try renting a truck for a band like, well i've said it before so...Frost* or rent a dozen trucks for Genesis. And what about the material? A stage set up for Arena is, sadly enough, a bit smaller than for Genesis. That has to be moved, assembled, played upon  ;) and after that disassembled. You need a lot of road crew for that. And hiring the Arena (amsterdam) or hire lets say 013 in Tilburg, that's a difference too. I'm sure you know that too.

Like i said, i'm sure that a big load of that 100 euro is going to Genesis instead to other parties and indeed it could be a couple of euro's less but in the end i think it is a valid price. Well, sort off.

For instance, i'm going to Van Dik Hout (a dutch rock act, for the non-dutchies) in my home town in a venue that isn't that big. Maybe 300 men and it's full. One ticked cost 20 euro's.  :-\

Just for comparison.

Appelmoes??

Think about this. If Van Dikhout can make a profit from 300 times € 20,- how much profit will Genesis make from 48.000 times € 100,- to € 175,- ?
Remeber the're playing big venues only, so these are reasonable numbers. Madonna had 48.000 places for her gig in the Arena and made a profit of 4 million euro's. 48.000 x 150 (I took this for average) = 7.2 million. Believe me, those guys from Genesis are loading up on cash :-\

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Can't argue about that. Those probably are valid numbers. I just wanted to point out how high the costs are for organising such a concert. And considering its a worldly event the cost might be even higher than a few concerts alone in one country. Shipping stuff etc.

And nobody's doing anything for free so i agree with you that they will be very happy with their bank account. Or their ex-wife's.  ;D

PH

€ 100,- that's the best seat you can get.
When you buy a ticket for the cheapest seat, you'll buy 60 euro or so.

Of course it's too much. Absolutely. It seems Genesis loves the money.
Too bad.
But still I love their music and...

I think I won't be going.
I'll buy their DVD afterwards. There IS a limit for a fan. I love them, I don't worship them.

maddox

I've read Metro (a dutch free-newspaper) today and in it was an advertisement for the tour of Genesis. The weird thing is that they said that the prices of the tickets started at € 45 per ticket. And on Ticketmaster the (apparently) highest price is € 59 euro's. Now i'm confuzled.  :-\

First they talked about 100 euro's or more and now something less expensive? Or was that a prank?  ???

Anybody?

intruder

I can honestly say I would not waste my money, thats not genesis, it's phil collins. Sorry peeps but without Peter their it's a big forget it for me. Give me an Arena ticket anyday.

johninblack

Quote from: intruder on Wed, 2006-11-29, 09:22:40
I can honestly say I would not waste my money, thats not genesis, it's phil collins. Sorry peeps but without Peter their it's a big forget it for me. Give me an Arena ticket anyday.

Best post in this section yet!

JJ II

So, I thought: let's revitalise this thread!

Anyone been to the concert already? Any thoughts.

From what I've seen on YouTube, they look and sound amazing, with more old stuff than ever before!

kmorse

I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Nicky007

I read the review from the concert in Herning, Denmark, June 14. The headline of the review by Lisa Reschefski was "Stone Dead Resurrection". She experienced even the three Genesis guys as being bored. And this is at the beginning of their tour.

Looks like it's a big buck enterprise.

Instead of Genesis, I would recom you to keep an eye out for Robert Plant. This guy has stayed at the edge.

Nicky.

So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

JJ II

QuoteLooks like it's a big buck enterprise.

Hmmm... so why are they doing only a few shows then? It must be financially more interesting to carry on for another 20 gigs when you have a stage like this designed.

And filling half of your set with songs from before 1983 would help as well. Perhaps it was Afterglow, In the Cage and Firth of Fifth that the reporter thought of as boring.  ???

By the way: I think it rained heavily in Herning, you won't have much movement then from the 56-year old.

Finally: Tony never moved, nor smiled not even when he was 25!  ;D

PH

Quote from: JJ II on Thu, 2007-06-21, 11:59:23Hmmm... so why are they doing only a few shows then? It must be financially more interesting to carry on for another 20 gigs when you have a stage like this designed.

Probably they won't do that because of the fact that they're old? You can't perform for a whole month every day, you'll get exhausted. And 60-year olds probably even more...

Quote from: JJ II on Thu, 2007-06-21, 11:59:23Finally: Tony never moved, nor smiled not even when he was 25!  ;D

Ha! That's what Ray Wilson thought too!
I have a live acoustic CD of a Ray Wilson concert. And he told the audience that when he walked in the studio for recording Calling All Stations album he saw a huuuuuuge mixing desk. And on one side there was Mike Rutherford and on the other side was Tony Banks. Now Mike told Ray that he has an idea for a new song called "Shipwrecked". He sang a bit for Ray. But according to Ray, Mike can't sing. He's a great musician but he can't sing. So Mike is singing very false and all of that, and Ray listens and thinks "Shit, he sounds like he's really shipwrecked". He tries very hard not to laugh, pressing his fingernails into his own hand, checking the door to see if this was really Genesis. But then he thought: "I'll look at Tony Banks, 'cause he never smiles, he never laughs". And he looks at Tony and Tony is pissing himself laughing. Then they all burst into laughter.

Ray Wilson is a very funny bloke! 8)

JJ II

Still enjoying last nights gig. I think it was the best I ever saw. Great Setlist, great sound (not expected), great performance, great show (visually!).

Anyone not having been there, because they expected the Phil's hits-show: you were SOOO wrong!

PH

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2007-07-02, 10:41:53Anyone not having been there, because they expected the Phil's hits-show: you were SOOO wrong!

Because?
Please, could you add some more, cause I'm a bit curious indeed. ;D

JJ II

Because:
Behind The Lines/Duke's End (instrumental opening)
In The Cage
Cinema Show (part)
Dukes Travels (part)
Afterglow
Ripples
Firth of Fifth (instr.)
I Know what I Like
Carpet Crawlers

Add to that:
No Son of Mine
Mama
Domino (part 1 &2)
Home by the Sea (and Second Home By The Sea)
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

and a couple of BIG hits....

Served with an impressive light show, a great, tight band and wonderful vocals...