News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

I can't get my stereo system working

Started by PH, Wed, 2006-05-31, 10:53:28

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Hello everybody!

Call me stupid, I don't care, but I have a problem.

I just got a 'new' stereo from a friend of my mom's.
But I don't know how to connect everything...
I need to plug in a few cables, but HOW?!?!?!?!

It's a strange stereo too, it seems as if it's not right... ???

Anyway, here's a (simplified) picture of my stereo with some buttons that are significant.
Errmm... the picture is in the attachment.

The cables itself aren't a problem, I've got loads of cables.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Peter

Seems to be something missing, if you ask me. The tape "Line in" has to be connected to "Rec out", "Line out" goes to "Playback". The "phono" plugs would have to be connected to a vinyl disc player (that's way back in the old century.... forget about it). You probably cannot connect the CD player to the phono plugs, it'll sound awful. So, there are no plugs for the CD player... throw the device in the middle away and buy a proper one for a few bucks on ebay...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

PH

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2006-05-31, 10:59:39
Seems to be something missing, if you ask me. The tape "Line in" has to be connected to "Rec out", "Line out" goes to "Playback". The "phono" plugs would have to be connected to a vinyl disc player (that's way back in the old century.... forget about it). You probably cannot connect the CD player to the phono plugs, it'll sound awful. So, there are no plugs for the CD player... throw the device in the middle away and buy a proper one for a few bucks on ebay...

Hmmm... That sounds about right. Maybe I need a mixer of some sort. Me and my dad will look into it tonight. But I can play the tapes now! Hmmm... :-[ The big problem is that I cannot think straight when I need to remember a lot of things...

Ahh well, I was planning to buy a stereo from the beginning, so it's not a big disappointment.

Thanks anyway!

JJ II

This is a pre-CD stereo set.
Problem is: you have two line-in's: one for tape and one for vinyl. Don't use the one for vinyl (phono) for your CD.
Solution: connect both the tape ánd the CD-player on the tape/aux line-in's.
All you have to do is by two splitters (one for red, one for white). Costs: only a few euro. Put the two whites of the tape and CD in one splitter, the reds in the other and connect them with the tuner/amplifier. [and connect the amplifier rec-out, with the line-in of the cassette deck]. 

That's how it worked for me, when I needed to connect two video's to my amplifier.
One risk: don't play two things at the same time (but you usually won't)

Herben

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2006-05-31, 10:59:39
The "phono" plugs would have to be connected to a vinyl disc player (that's way back in the old century.... forget about it). .
Why forget about it!! it's nice to play a large vinyl disc, sometimes the noise is better than from cd!!!
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

PH

Quote from: Herben on Tue, 2006-08-01, 20:20:26
Why forget about it!! it's nice to play a large vinyl disc, sometimes the noise is better than from cd!!!

The problem is that I'll have to throw away all the CD's I bought and buy it again in vinyl... ;D

Herben

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2006-08-01, 20:35:58
The problem is that I'll have to throw away all the CD's I bought and buy it again in vinyl... ;D
Why can't You use both than You can change, You already threw away all the vinyl records and then bought cds of course.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

PH

Quote from: Herben on Tue, 2006-08-01, 23:20:11
Why can't You use both than You can change, You already threw away all the vinyl records and then bought cds of course.

In fact I don't have vinyl records... That's before my time.