News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Best Gig ever (besides Arena)

Started by Appelmoes??, Wed, 2005-10-19, 17:23:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Appelmoes??

So, what are our best gigs ever (besides the ones Arena has given us) and why?

Mine was the Star One feat. Ayreon gig at Lucky&Co (Rijssen) in 2003. It was really special to see Arjen performe live and the sound and atmosfere was the best I ever experienced.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Invisible_Jen

Marillion last year at Vredenburg, Utrecht, the Marbles tour

wauw! that was my first concert of Marillion but it was very special and Amazing :)
(real Magic  ;) :))
I have read all your letters
I know what you contain
I have dreamt your dreams....

Peter

Porcupine Tree in April this year. Whoa, what a great gig. Superb sound, good show and a good mood in the crowd. Loved it.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

The Fury

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-10-19, 17:23:48
So, what are our best gigs ever (besides the ones Arena has given us) and why?

Mine was the Star One feat. Ayreon gig at Lucky&Co (Rijssen) in 2003. It was really special to see Arjen performe live and the sound and atmosfere was the best I ever experienced.

Unfortunately wasn't there, but I worship the DVD
Why do you laugh at my hopeless appeal for your mercy?

keyboardistmatt

Rick Wakeman & the New English Rock Ensemble, live in Bournemouth Pavillion.
They were doing the 'Out There' tour! :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Appelmoes??

Quote from: The Fury on Wed, 2005-10-19, 18:54:43
Unfortunately wasn't there, but I worship the DVD
You can hear me whistle and cheer on the CD/DVD :P

My drawings on MySpace

sotonrobin

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-10-19, 20:01:19
Rick Wakeman & the New English Rock Ensemble, live in Bournemouth Pavillion.
They were doing the 'Out There' tour! :)

I saw the show in Salisbury, great show considering the eleventh Hour line up change with Damian Wilson pulling out just before the tour started, in fact he was the main reason for going to the show in the first place.

My favourite gig has to be Jean Michel Jarre at the London Docklands (all those years ago), Great music and great effects even though the weather did it's best to try and ruin it.

Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

rocker666

Got a couple that stand out.....

Queensryche - Road to Promised Land tour, Nottingham Royal Concert Hall - STUNNING!

Mostly Autumn - Storms Over Still Waters release concert at the Astoria - also stunning

Iron Maiden - secret warm up gig at Norwich Oval pub, as the Angels & the Gamblers, fantastic, Iron Maiden, 400 mad fans, one hot sweaty pub! Finished the gig then Blaze announced they were having such a good time did we want another one? Did Murders in the Rue Morgue unrehearsed, reading the lyrics off a piece of paper!

They're the stand outs but there has been other good ones, seeing Savatage in London then going for a beer with Jon Oliva was rather good as well!

Si
Chaos is the Law of Nature
Order is the Dream of Man

johninblack

Quote from: rocker666 on Thu, 2005-10-20, 11:55:59

Iron Maiden - secret warm up gig at Norwich Oval pub, as the Angels & the Gamblers

That was a great gig and a great venue for a while, shame it's no more. Of coure there is nowhere in Norwich that is big enough for bands the size of Maiden to include in regular tours, but lots of venues suitabe for a band like....er...ARENA for example!

Teunis

Mine was last year's Toto gig in Hardenberg 'Het Podium'. A small venue, I stood a few meters from my heroes. What a great guitarplayer Steve Lukather is. And the perfect setlist.

Good second was the gig Appelmoes?? mentioned, Star One feat. Ayreon - Lucky in Rijssen  ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Highfire

It can sound strange, but my favourite gig was E.L.O. (Part 2) in Madrid july 2000. I'm a big fan of ELO, so I enjoyed like a child.

Other great gigs I remember were Asia (2005), Yngwie Malmsteen (1992) or Supertramp (2003).
We have been chosen...

rocker666

Quote from: johninblack on Thu, 2005-10-20, 18:24:56
That was a great gig and a great venue for a while, shame it's no more. Of coure there is nowhere in Norwich that is big enough for bands the size of Maiden to include in regular tours, but lots of venues suitabe for a band like....er...ARENA for example!

You were there? Cool!

Was a fantastic venue - so friendly and some good bands. Had the Maiden gig on one night, the next night was the Skin Farewell tour gig which was great fun as well!

Si
Chaos is the Law of Nature
Order is the Dream of Man

johninblack

Quote from: rocker666 on Thu, 2005-10-20, 19:52:22
You were there? Cool!

No unfortunatly I was skint (as usual) I was at college (mature student) trying to Juggle a wife and kid on a grant!

A few days before the gig I heard whispers from a couple of guys at college and then the day before I bumped into a mate who also knew Chris the manager at the Rockhouse and he confirmed it. Iron Maiden in Norwich and I missed it, ah well thats life.

TomSawYa

1. Rush - R30 Tour 2004, Stuttgart / RollthebonesTour 1992, Stuttgart / Signals Tour 1983, Böblingen (do I have to explain ?)

4. Jeff Healey Band 2000 Munich (just to see hear that the blind man´s blues in a "club concert" - left me speechless)

5. Eagles 2001 Munich (just to see and hear them once in a livetime singing all those classics that accompany me since I started listening to music. On top of all: Seven bridges road !!!)

6. Pink Floyd 1988 u. 1989, Berlin, Platz d. Republik and Stuttgart, Neckarstadion (overwhelming, the Reichstag still a ruin those days)

7. Foreigner 1981 Munich (my very first rock concert)

8. Blue Öyster Cult/Kansas 1989 Munich (BÖC is always good for a real rockin´evening, Kansas remains cult as well)

9. Saga 1982 Munich (The hype of "world´s apart")

10. Rainbow 1982 Munich (just once seeing Ritchie play and slam his guitar)
Changes aren´t permanent - but change is !

Appelmoes??

Quote from: TomSawYa on Fri, 2005-10-21, 10:06:29
1. Rush - R30 Tour 2004, Stuttgart / RollthebonesTour 1992, Stuttgart / Signals Tour 1983, Böblingen (do I have to explain ?)

4. Jeff Healey Band 2000 Munich (just to see hear that the blind man´s blues in a "club concert" - left me speechless)

5. Eagles 2001 Munich (just to see and hear them once in a livetime singing all those classics that accompany me since I started listening to music. On top of all: Seven bridges road !!!)

6. Pink Floyd 1988 u. 1989, Berlin, Platz d. Republik and Stuttgart, Neckarstadion (overwhelming, the Reichstag still a ruin those days)

8. Blue Öyster Cult/Kansas 1989 Munich (BÖC is always good for a real rockin´evening, Kansas remains cult as well)

So, I guess Arena comes in on the 2nd and 3rd place? :D

My drawings on MySpace

Erendis

The R.E.M. Open Air in Munich july 2003
RPWL at the Peter-Paul-Church in Reichenbach (Thüringen) 03.09.2005
Porcupine Tree at the Röhre in Stuttgart (can´t remember date)                    the last concert in Karlsruhe wasn´t that great for me - we came really late (because they didn´t play at the substage, too much people, so we had to drive through the city to Durlach/Festhalle  :( )  and had to stand far far away from the guys.... the Röhre isn´t my favourite place (found it disgusting esp. the toilet) but mood was better there...

Music of the future will not entertain
it´s only ment to repress and neutralise your brain

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2005-10-21, 12:47:14
Quote from: TomSawYa on Fri, 2005-10-21, 10:06:29

Cool! Arena get 2 places in that then...!

Probably to make up for not putting them at #1... ;D

Herben

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Fri, 2005-10-21, 23:59:52

Cool! Arena get 2 places in that then...!

Probably to make up for not putting them at #1... ;D
Maybe it was Britney Spears on 2 and 3 (was ashamed to tell that)
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

PH

Quote from: Herben on Mon, 2005-11-07, 20:13:37
Maybe it was Britney Spears on 2 and 3 (was ashamed to tell that)
LOL :D

What's with Britney Spears all the time? That name has been found on this site more often than for example Kino, while Kino has more to do with Arena than Britney does.
Or do I make a terrible mistake now?? ???

kmorse

well, Britney's a lot cuter than Clive! At least I think so. ;D
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: kmorse on Mon, 2005-11-07, 22:17:29
well, Britney's a lot cuter than Clive! At least I think so. ;D

Yes. Britney. Is. Sweet. Like. A. Chewed. Up. Toffee. :-X

PH

Hmm... Well, I think she looks like a dumb ass if you'd ask me. She really has a strange glance in her eyes.

So in that case, Clive for me. ;D

As a musician then eh... ;)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2005-11-08, 07:37:24
She really has a strange glance in her eyes.
That's called ignorance :P

My drawings on MySpace

kmorse

Let's get this thread back on track. 1973. Pink Floyd, Madison, Wisconsin. "Dark Side of the Moon" tour. Their second show on their American tour to promote that album. They were not big in the states at that time but I was already a big fan. It was my first rock concert. They've been a tough act to follow ever since.

In a different vein, I got to see classical guitarist Andres Segovia in 1981, not long before he passed away. Wonderful concert. Proved one doesn't have to play fast to play well.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

keyboardistmatt