News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Rob playing guitar

Started by JJ II, Mon, 2005-05-09, 16:34:50

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ II

Listening to the album and seeing/hearing some of the songs played live, I wondered: did you consider to let Rob play some of the (rythm)guitarparts?
PG has lot of double-guitar parts, with John playing a great solo on top of a great riff. Live, he can't do both, and I think that's a pity. I missed it in Smoke and Mirrors, and though it still rocked big time, it lost some of it's magic.

Clive

Personally, I prefer to leave Rob free to deliver the 'vocal goods'.... he does play acoustic here and there, but he is on stage mainly to sing... if we start finding extra guitar parts for him, he'd be stuck playing it all night... that's not who we are.... :)

JJ II

I see what you mean, Rob's your singer, not the second guitar-player. ;)

Still a pity that the double-guitar work of the album can't be recreated live then. Any chance of you playing it on one of your new keyboards then?

Clive

Ah.... you must have me confused with an octopus.... :)

JJ II

Counting your feet, you're halfway there  ;)

BTW, you do have some new electronics, don't you?

Clive

If you mean the Triton Extreme, then yes.... this plays samples as well, so I'm gradually phasing out all the rack equipment in favour of five powerful keyboards.... I think I'll be getting a second Triton for the main tour... :)

Moonloop

Quote from: JJ II on Tue, 2005-05-10, 11:49:40
Counting your feet, you're halfway there  ;)

LOL...  :D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Spad

Quote from: Clive on Mon, 2005-05-09, 23:06:19
Personally, I prefer to leave Rob free to deliver the 'vocal goods'....

I totally agree....... and I'd like to put out a little disappointment about the last gig in Ashaffenburg.....
How is it possible that in about 6 year that Rob sings Solomon and Jericho at EVERY gigs, he has not learned yet the words?????!!!!!
Especially the ending of Jericho was a total invention........ something like "nananananananana.....revolutiooooooooonnn!" repeated n times..........

I think he'd better take more care with the pre-Rob material........

Sorry Rob, nothing personal...  ;) .... but I love too much those songs......

Bye.
Spad.
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Peter

Quote from: Spad on Tue, 2005-05-10, 12:01:26
Especially the ending of Jericho was a total invention........ something like "nananananananana.....revolutiooooooooonnn!" repeated n times..........

That's called artistic liberty, mate ;)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

JJ II

Huh, that's always what I sing...!??

"Nannanananana... revolution!" wonderful lyrics....
"Nannanananana... institution!" even better lyrics...

What's he supposed to sing then?  ;D

Spad

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-05-10, 12:27:43
That's called artistic liberty, mate ;)

...ok.... then: why does he not apply the same "artistic liberty" to the other songs????? No, I'm sorry Peter, but I disagree....

In Solomon he often inverts the rhymes.......  ;)

Clive

In the 'heat of battle' it's easy for the odd word... or indeed note (I'm talking about the whole band)... to go astray. What is important is to keep going... if 'nanana' is what it takes then he has my blessing! There's a lot of words in Arena, and they not only have to be sung, but they have to be performed... personally, I think he's doing a pretty good job... :) Frankly I have trouble remember the BV lyrics sometimes.... ;)

Peter

Quote from: Clive on Tue, 2005-05-10, 15:07:54
In the 'heat of battle' it's easy for the odd word... or indeed note (I'm talking about the whole band)... to go astray. What is important is to keep going... if 'nanana' is what it takes then he has my blessing! There's a lot of words in Arena, and they not only have to be sung, but they have to be performed... personally, I think he's doing a pretty good job... :) Frankly I have trouble remember the BV lyrics sometimes.... ;)

100% ack!
I'm always so happy to see you guys on stage, I would never care for any mishap at all.

\o/
/ \

:)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

POM

What would you do JJ II ? Stop the song because of one word not coming at the right moment?

Personnaly I'm so "in the music" during the gig that... I never noticed anything about lyrics  :D
And I prefer a "nanana" for some words missing, than a"false" note in Rob's singing, which would probably shocked me more. (I hope you'll understand my meaning because with my bad english, I don't know how to say that properly :-[)

JJ II

Exactly my point, Clive and POM. I'm fine with Rob's lyrics, because most of the time I don't know what it should have been otherwise...

Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker, but at many times I've probably made up some strange lyrics over the years singing along with you guys. Jericho is one of those moment that I haven't got a clue. I've never understood what Paul was singing, and I think I didn't when John did his performance. So Rob's in a tradition then...

And I can speak out of experience: I once had the honour to be part in something called Arena-Idols and it's VERY difficult to remember the words exactly as you'r not singinf along, but singing yourself....

POM

JJ II, oups, precisely it was Spad making the remark about the lyrics  ::)

Moonloop

It can happen to anyone.

I remember watching Sabbath when Tony Martin was vocalist and he completely forgot the last verse of "Paranoid"  :-[

Similarly, on one of Neil Youngs DVDs (Live Rust, I think) he gets mixed up with the lyrics to "Thrasher", Phil Collins played a totally bum note during (I think) "Against All Odds" in Live-Aid but my favourite is on The Corrs "Unplugged" DVD when the one on piano is playing the outro to a track and hits a totally off key note - at which point Jim Corr leans over to the mike and says quietly...

"Jazz"  ;D

Inspired comment - loved it  :D  :D

Spad

Ok, guys.... apologies......

I didn't want to accuse Rob of anything...... I don't care about any mistake of this kind during the gig, it's music that really matters!!

Just I think the right words at right places sound better....  :D

Spad.

Spad

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-05-10, 15:48:36
It can happen to anyone.

... it was not an "incident".... he didn't remember the same parts in Basel (07.04.2003) and Milan (29.11.2003)......  ;)

Moonloop

Quote from: Spad on Tue, 2005-05-10, 16:05:42
... it was not an "incident".... he didn't remember the same parts in Basel (07.04.2003) and Milan (29.11.2003)......  ;)

Ah.....recurring memory loss, you mean like your wife/girlfriends birthday etc  ;)

Spad

Quote from: POM on Tue, 2005-05-10, 15:21:00
What would you do JJ II ? Stop the song because of one word not coming at the right moment?

Personnaly I'm so "in the music" during the gig that... I never noticed anything about lyrics  :D
And I prefer a "nanana" for some words missing, than a"false" note in Rob's singing, which would probably shocked me more. (I hope you'll understand my meaning because with my bad english, I don't know how to say that properly :-[)

I know what you mean....
But only some pointings:
I didn't want to stop the concert.... I've never said it!  :-X

I agree a "nanana" for some words missing is better than a "false" note, but it's not this case: Rob is a great professionist and I don't think he could miss a note. I really love his way of singing, his warm and emotionally voice....... correct words would complete "the picture".  ;)

Spad.

POM

Quote from: Spad on Tue, 2005-05-10, 16:05:42

Maybe it's just his way to sing that part of the song?  ;)  8)

No way of accusing anyone of anything here  ;D