News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The Marillion Poll

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-03-15, 16:54:34

Previous topic - Next topic

So, what's everyone's opinion of Marillion then..??

Prefer the "Fish" era
33 (55.9%)
Prefer the "H" era
10 (16.9%)
Really don't mind either
15 (25.4%)
Third rate Genesis copyists
0 (0%)
Who..?? Never heard of them.
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Bupie

Quote from: erik on Tue, 2007-11-13, 21:14:07
[moves over to Marillion poll section and posts:]

Mmm, appreciate your efforts, but a bit of a feeble attempt to be honest, Bupie. No need to constrain myself whatsoever ::)

You are right, Erik, it was just a "re-start" remark without great interest (even if the similarities with Simple Minds really strike me each time I hear this song but this is an isolated case).

But Marillion is a band that has been a big part of my musical environment for 25 years so I think that I can go a little "deeper" in my comparison of both eras.

First thing is the age factor. I am 42 and you are 30. Which means that you were probably not comtemporaneous -at least in your musical interests- of the Fish era. I was. And being a teenager or in his early 20's when an album is released often means that it strikes you more because you are fresh, open, naive and receptive to the music. No "déjà vu" feeling to hold up your enthousiasm. Misplaced Childhood really hit me right in the face and made emotions explode inside. And it still does. When Brave was released, I was almost 30, I had a job, non progrock fans friends, a TV  :-[, was practicing different sports on numerous evenings ... In a word, I had  less time for demanding music. And Brave, for me, is a VERY demanding album. I mean, when you are told to by a member of the band himself to turn off the lights and put headphones to appreciate an album, this is an indication that the road wo'nt be so easy.

Second, in Marillion's case, is the singer looks. I do think that H is handsome when Fish is, well, Fish ... And it might sound silly to most of you but it's more difficult for me to get moved by the smooth and seemingly emotionless H's face and voice than by the tormented Fish. I saw both of them in concert and this impression was confirmed : Fish is as charismatic as can be when H is just an elegant but not outstanding frontman. Maybe there is also a social factor, Fish representing the popular and struggling average guy when H embodies the flourishing middle to upper class man. And I definitively feel closer to the former. I realize that this is very personal but, since I am just the average guy with average feelings and tastes, maybe some other average old Marillion fans feel the same.

Third and last is the music itself. Even with a long musical background, I still can be overwhelmed by new bands or albums that I discover. It's been the  case with Arena's Contagion, Magenta's Seven or DT's SDOIT, for instance. This is not the case with post HiE H's Marillion. For each album, I have to struggle a LOT to get into the music. Most of the time, it's finally rewarding (so far I think of Marbles and TSE mainly) but it is a long and sometimes even painful purchase : actually, I am fighting with Anoraknophobia and I gave up with AoS (but will return to it someday). I would not do that for any other band, frankly ... Still, I am on the easy listening side of prog so maybe most of new Marillion stuff is just not for me ?

Anyway, I do think that H does a great job with Marillion in his own way and I am happy that the band is still alive and kicking (no Simple Minds pun intended) after all those years.

Was it a better effort, this time, Erik ? At least, it's a sincere and personal one. The proof ? Almost no smiley in my post  ;)

Nicky007

Real nice musical "autobiography", Bupie - and in excellent English  :)

Helped me know you better.

You even got me to add Magenta's Seven on my SL (the other albums you mentioned, I have).

This discussion sure has revived our excitement about Marillion.

Thanks guys.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

erik

That's more like it! Seriously, thank you Bupie for this extensive personal post which I enjoyed reading very much and which hits the core of it all: the interaction between what's going on in your own life (especially while a teenager) and the music that is associated with it. For now just this short first comment & thanks, I will sit down and really reply later!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Peter

Bupie, you're speaking right out of my heart.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

What we should note is that what Bupie expresses here would be Erik's "1. stage", which was followed by Erik's "2. stage", the "Brave" stage, if I'v understood this whole business correctly.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Peter on Sat, 2007-11-17, 10:15:18
Bupie, you're speaking right out of my heart.

Thanks Peter  :)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2007-11-17, 11:27:59
What we should note is that what Bupie expresses here would be Erik's "1. stage", which was followed by Erik's "2. stage", the "Brave" stage, if I'v understood this whole business correctly.

Not sure Nicky.  Erik was probably just too young for my "1.stage" and I had too many preconceived ideas on Marillion's music for his "2.stage". But Brave is certainly a turning point in the band's career. it's very interesting to read members of the band's views on it on their website. More broadmindedly, it is very interesting to visit marillion.com because there are a lot of informations to be found on their past and present career.

Appelmoes??

At this stage I'm thoroughly confused ???
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Nicky007

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2007-11-19, 12:43:18
At this stage I'm thoroughly confused ???

Even more than usual, Appy?  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

Indeed, that's how confusing it is ;D

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

Bupie

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2007-11-20, 09:48:52
I have to admit I am bit confused too  :D

Comon Bupie, not U2. I think you summed it up nicely in your last post on the matter.

How's the Second Sistine Chapel comin about?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Herben

Is there already anyone who has the newest album from Fish, Thirteenth star? Is it a good one?
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

PH

Quote from: Herben on Thu, 2007-11-22, 23:39:49
Is there already anyone who has the newest album from Fish, Thirteenth star? Is it a good one?

I heard that Maddox had it and didn't like it really that much (yet).

I haven't got it, I'm just starting with my Marillion collection. ;D

-Paco

Bupie

Quote from: Herben on Thu, 2007-11-22, 23:39:49

I bought the SE with the bonus DVD but didn't find time to watch it so far. I had a few listens of the album but it's too soon to give you a definitive answer. At this point, I am not impressed but I think that after a few more plays I could like it a lot ... I'll let you know.