News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The Marillion Poll

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-03-15, 16:54:34

Previous topic - Next topic

So, what's everyone's opinion of Marillion then..??

Prefer the "Fish" era
33 (55.9%)
Prefer the "H" era
10 (16.9%)
Really don't mind either
15 (25.4%)
Third rate Genesis copyists
0 (0%)
Who..?? Never heard of them.
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Deenfan

Silmarillion, the movie, would be a weird but maybe great thing to see... :o

Herben

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Mon, 2005-06-13, 11:44:08
To be honest, I don't think Marillion would still be here now if Fish was still in the band. -No disrespect to Fish, of course!  I just think that the departure of Fish made the band stronger, possibly.  Which is a good thing!
But Fish also still makes music himself, his debute album: Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors is very good album, You should listen to it. After that album I think it went downwards with Fish until Fellini days. The latest Fish album Field of Crows is made in 2003 which is not too bad either.
But I also voted the H period, their highlight is still the Brave album, this is even better than the albums with Fish. Besides that I also like The Afraid of Sunlight Album very much, so much emotion to put in an Album, is just Fantastic. In fact their all very good, only Marillion.com is my least favourite one (excluding Interior Lulu, which is a Highlight).
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Appelmoes??(Read the Silmarillion though... :P)

Quote from: Herben on Fri, 2005-08-05, 00:35:36
You should read it too
I said I had read it ;) 6-7 times or so.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2005-08-12, 18:05:43
I said I had read it ;) 6-7 times or so.
I'm sorry I misunderstood You, I only read it once, so I don't have to tell You anything, You tell me.

Appelmoes??

Sorry, but it would be veeeeery offtopic ;)

My drawings on MySpace

erik

Basically, I consider Marillion with Fish and Marillion with H as two different bands.

Marillion with Fish really got me into prog and those four albums indeed have an aura of nostalgia and the magic of the jester imagery surrounding them, but I prefer Marillion with H, it just moves me more, lyrics, vocals and the music.

My favourite albums are the "Dave Meegan albums", Brave, AOS, Anoraknophobia and Marbles, it's marvellous what this guy achieves with the band. He really is the sixth member!
This Strange Engine, Radiation and Marillion.com are my least favourite albums, they're not bad and each contains great tracks, but they're less consistent and the production is less good.

I'm passionate about Marillion and could write on and on, but as this an Arena forum I'll leave it at this..  ;)

We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Herben

Quote from: Moonloop on Wed, 2005-03-16, 15:44:22
"Radiation" is one of the worst albums EVER  ;)
No I would choose Marillion.com (not included Interior Lulu which is great)

Moonloop

Quote from: Herben on Wed, 2005-09-21, 22:39:48
No I would choose Marillion.com (not included Interior Lulu which is great)

I thought dotcom just edged R10 - close call though  :)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Herben on Fri, 2005-08-12, 14:58:42
But Fish also still makes music himself, his debute album: Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors is very good album, You should listen to it.

I have heard "Vigil..." it was ok, but I prefered "Internal Exile" for some reason...

Quote from: Herben on Fri, 2005-08-12, 14:58:42
Besides that I also like The Afraid of Sunlight Album very much, so much emotion to put in an Album, is just Fantastic.

H seems alot more 'emotional' than Fish.  I think that's why the 'Brave' album was so good, because H is so emotional...
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Ian Lay

I'm back after a week away.

For me the Fish era, though I do like Brave.

Getting Misplaced Childhoood on CD and looking up Fish's solo career got me on the track to listening to Arena.

Cheers,

Ian
Worrying is like a rocking chair, it takes you for a ride, but gets you nowhere.

Appelmoes??

I finaly cast my vote :) I bought the album "best of both worlds" some time ago and have listened to it. If it's representable for the Fish and H era's, I like Fish's a lot more. H sounds ok, but it just misses the emotions I hear in Fish's singing, and sometimes it just sounds too slick and, dare I say it, like pop. I get the feeling the music was written to be airplay-material, and that's the worst reason to make music.

(I'm not saying they did, but I just get that feeling)

My drawings on MySpace

willowroolz

I don't mind either, really, although there have been a couple or three lesser albums in the H era. Neverland is one of the best songs they've ever recorded, imo  :)

PH

I just voted here. I didn't vote before because I didn't know Marillion that well. But now I've listened to Misplaced Childhood, Script For A Jester's Tear, Anoraknophobia and Marbles.
I like both 'worlds'. I think Anoraknophobia is an album with a lot of good songs (I think (in my opinion) there's no weak song there), and Misplaced Childhood is a very emotional album with of course Kayleigh and Lavender being great songs. Misplaced Childhood reminds me of early Arena (I know, this should be the other way round, but you get the idea).

I don't mind, I like both worlds equally I think. (Anoraknophobia is (in my opinion (I know some people want to lynch me now, but...)) the best Marillion album I heard so far.)

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2005-12-08, 20:43:28
I finaly cast my vote :) I bought the album "best of both worlds" some time ago and have listened to it. If it's representable for the Fish and H era's, I like Fish's a lot more. H sounds ok, but it just misses the emotions I hear in Fish's singing, and sometimes it just sounds too slick and, dare I say it, like pop. I get the feeling the music was written to be airplay-material, and that's the worst reason to make music.

(I'm not saying they did, but I just get that feeling)
The problem with best of both world from Marillion that they took the airplay songs so You're right but in my opinion not representable for the rest of the hogarth era. a lot of songs were taken from the holidays in eden cd which is a more popular cd. The brave songs they took the edit version. So the real highlights were only The space... , Made again,  King and afraid of sunlight. Apart from these they have songs as Interior Lulu, Easter (full version), This strange engine, Ocean cloud etc.
But it's much different than Arena, I never understood while people were saying Arena is a Marillion clone, maybe Immortal has a small marillion sauce poured over it but for the rest I don't see it...

Bupie

Quote from: Herben on Tue, 2007-07-31, 18:10:34
But it's much different than Arena, I never understood while people were saying Arena is a Marillion clone, maybe Immortal has a small marillion sauce poured over it but for the rest I don't see it...

It's hard to deny that John Carson's voice and some parts of SFTLC don't remind of early Marillion, IMHO.

Herben

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2007-08-01, 09:32:59
It's hard to deny that John Carson's voice and some parts of SFTLC don't remind of early Marillion, IMHO.
It reminds You but it never reminded me of Marillion, it's like comparing U2 and Simple Minds

PH

Quote from: Herben on Wed, 2007-08-01, 11:20:25
It reminds You but it never reminded me of Marillion, it's like comparing U2 and Simple Minds

Now that you mention it.

John Carson reminds me of Fish and Steve Hogarth reminds me of Bono sometimes.

Funny world.

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2007-08-03, 13:06:20
Now that you mention it.

John Carson reminds me of Fish and Steve Hogarth reminds me of Bono sometimes.

Funny world.

Mentioning Simple Minds above,  Marbles You're Gone reminds me a lot of Simple Minds ...

erik

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2007-11-13, 17:16:55
I should have remembered since I have participated in those threads. Elzheimer begins ...  :-X

I am going to try to reactivate them but please don't restrain yourself then  ;)

[moves over to Marillion poll section and posts:]

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2007-11-13, 17:20:47
Mentioning Simple Minds above,  Marbles You're Gone reminds me a lot of Simple Minds ...

Mmm, appreciate your efforts, but a bit of a feeble attempt to be honest, Bupie. No need to constrain myself whatsoever ::)

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2006-03-20, 15:29:38
I don't mind, I like both worlds equally I think. (Anoraknophobia is (in my opinion (I know some people want to lynch me now, but...)) the best Marillion album I heard so far.)
Now Paco is saying some interesting things here, although it's a long time ago. Anoraknophobia is excellent, but I wouldn't single it out as their best album. Paco, has your view changed after listening to more of their albums or is Anorak still your fave?

Let's see if I can rank the H albums for me personally:

1. Brave
2. Afraid Of Sunlight
3. Marbles (it's a tie with number two really..)
4. Seasons End
5. Anoraknophobia
6. Holidays In Eden
7.This Strange Engine
8. Radiation
9. Marillion.com

I'm not including Somewhere Else in this ranking yet, as it's still too fresh/recent. But it's not likely to change the first 6 spots in this list.

We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

I still really like Anoraknophobia. There are some very catchy songs on it and to me every song has something unique.

Now that I've heard Misplaced Childhood and Script For A Jester's Tear I can say that I cannot compare this to new Marillion. To me it's a completely new band.
Old-Marillion is lyrically a treasure and there's music on it. And the New-Marillion doesn't have "music", but "songs". Catchy songs. Lyrically they're not really that great.

From what I've heard so far from New-Marillion I like Anoraknophobia a lot! (Don't really like Brave... :-\ )
And from Old-Marillion I like both Script and Misplaced Childhood a lot!

If I had to rank these three albums in a top three I'd say:

Shut up.

erik

You hit the nail on the head Paco, it is two different bands. I don't agree that the H lyrics aren't great though, he has penned quite a lot of lyrics that can move me to tears. Give Brave some more spins and follow the instructions on the back: "play it loud with the lights off!"
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

maddox

Quote from: erik on Tue, 2007-11-13, 22:10:04
You hit the nail on the head Paco, it is two different bands. I don't agree that the H lyrics aren't great though, he has penned quite a lot of lyrics that can move me to tears. Give Brave some more spins and follow the instructions on the back: "play it loud with the lights off!"

I can only agree with that for 100 %.  8)

Amazing album!  *horns*
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

CompanyCroydon

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.