News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The Marillion Poll

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-03-15, 16:54:34

Previous topic - Next topic

So, what's everyone's opinion of Marillion then..??

Prefer the "Fish" era
33 (55.9%)
Prefer the "H" era
10 (16.9%)
Really don't mind either
15 (25.4%)
Third rate Genesis copyists
0 (0%)
Who..?? Never heard of them.
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

The Voyager

...And who of us supposed, what kind of metamorphosis would happen with Marillion?  :o

Xanxtuary

We could argue issues like these forever.  You only have to go on the Genesis message boards to see the endless Gabriel versus Collins debate.

I have to say that I preferred the Fish era, but I wonder in retrospect how much of that is down to nostalgia, because that period of my life was an eventful one, at which the teenage Padawan Xanxa was growing into herself, developing tastes and opinions, choosing the paths that lay ahead of her.  It was a time of wonderment and discovery for me, and I think that's got a lot to do with the way I see the Fish era of Marillion.

Until fairly recently, I never gave Hogarth a chance, but Hogweed has quite a few Hogarth Marillion albums in his collection and afterlistening to some of these, I do like quite a lot of the material.  It helps for me to see them as a different band, not the one of the Fish era, and that way I can accept and listen to the music for what it is, abandoning my former prejudices.

Having said that, I haven't liked a lot of Fish's solo efforts either, so I can only conclude that the chemistry which made Fish era Mariillion so great doesn't work on Fish alone.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Peter

That sums it up fairly well, methinks.

I have a theory that the music that you hear the most between let's say 12 and 17 forms your taste for the rest of your life. There might be examples that don't fit into that rule, but I'd say it fits very often...

I tried H Marillion several times, telling myself to not explicitly listen to H but let the music let in on me. Didn't work yet.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Deenfan

In the forum world of endless bickering, these two last posts, by Xanxtuary and our very own Peter, are great pleasures to read. The 12-17 point is a very good one, and will pretty much explain the why's and wherefore's of personal taste. That is an eventful and "shaping" part of life.
Very, very good input. Thanks.

gelert

Ah, shoot....

Whilst I don't dislike Marillion with "H", I have to draw the line somewhere...

I don't have enough hours in the day to listen to (ergo, buy all of the CDs by...) bands that I don't dislike...

There are other, different, bands to find - and thanks to Peter et al, I've discovered Ayreon, that "rings my bell"...

When IQ released "Subterreanea", I thought that they'd gone down the same route as Marylion...fortunately I was wrong, as "Seventh House" proved...!

And, IMHO, Fugazzi is STILL Silmarillion's strongest album.

12 - 17 eh...?
Well I saw Genesis at the tender age of 11, and reviewed "Script..." for ZigZag Magazine at the age of 19/20...

Guess that's the reason why.........................................................

(Fill in the blanks - best answer gets a crate of "beer smileys"..!)
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

NijntjeRocks

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2005-03-15, 17:41:18
I never took the time to get into Marillion. :o Sorry!! Don't beat the crap out of me...
In about two weeks your can hear them ;)  though I think you've already heard them at my place more than once

I'm goin for the Fish-era also, besides the cd's I have the original LP's right here (including Real to real and B-sides themselves and some maxisingles *a bit proud is ;))
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: NijntjeRocks on Sun, 2005-03-20, 23:48:47
In about two weeks your can hear them ;)  though I think you've already heard them at my place more than once

I'm goin for the Fish-era also, besides the cd's I have the original LP's right here (including Real to real and B-sides themselves and some maxisingles *a bit proud is ;))
Didn't say I never heard them, just that I never took the time to sit back and listen to the music ;) But okay, in 2 weeks I will try to take some time and listen to them :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Gollum

Err... I've just posted some ideas on Marillion in the wrong topic... I guess I should think of an elegant way to cut it out and bring it here...  ::) Well, I'll post here, ande then I'll figure out what to do with the other one  :P

I was about to click on "Fish era", when I realised that I have 7 fav albums. Four are "Fish-era" (the whole Fish era), and three are "H-era" (Season's, Brave and Afraid Of), so maybe I should vote "no difference"... But then again, B'sides Themselves makes it 5-3 to Fish era, so it's decided :P

Nevetheless, I think the importance of the singer is overrated in this case. I finally came to this conclusion when I got to listen the Bonus Disc in Clutching at straws remaster. It showed me how there was a perfect continuum from Clutching till Season's, and how the sound of the voice can lead us to see a greater difference than the actual one. The musicians were heading slowly into a certain direction, and that did not depend (not mainly) on Fish or H, I think. All this really helped me to apreciate "all time" Marillion sparks in newer albums, so I turned from liking the forementioned H-albums as if they were from a different band to liking them as Marillion albums, without any distinction between them and older ones.
La vergüenza de haber sido y el dolor de ya no ser

Appelmoes??

I just bought my first Marillion album: Misplaced Childhood. Whoopdeedoo! Sounds very good (Not great, but still, very good)

My drawings on MySpace

Moonloop

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-04-04, 13:58:13
I just bought my first Marillion album: Misplaced Childhood. Whoopdeedoo! Sounds very good (Not great, but still, very good)

Well done Appelmoes?? Move on to "Clutching at Straws" next  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-04-04, 13:58:13
Better late than never! Congrats!

Appelmoes??

Next album will be 'Script for a Jesters Tear', NijntjeRocks recommended it to me :)

Edit: Better now Peter? ;)

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-04-04, 18:10:45
Next album will be 'Script for a Jesters Tea', NijntjeRocks recommended it to me :)

Hey, they have a new one? About a famous english drink? Kewl ;)

No fun, the first four are all very recommendable...!

gelert

Slave, bring hither the soapbox, that I might regale these scurvvy knaves...

Adopts fake-Northern accent "Unn - accustumed as I am...t' public spe-e-kin, I'd just lyke to take this opportuun-ity to say Fugazzi"
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Moonloop

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-04-04, 18:10:45
Next album will be 'Script for a Jesters Tear', NijntjeRocks recommended it to me :)

Edit: Better now Peter? ;)

Ahhhh..."Script"  8) Surely one of the greatest records of all time.......

The first 4 Marillion studio albums are essential, Script, Fugazi, Missplaced & Clutching. Better to have bought and listened to them in chronological order but what the hell, ENJOY  ;D  ;D

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-04-05, 08:51:04
The first 4 Marillion studio albums are essential, Script, Fugazi, Missplaced & Clutching. Better to have bought and listened to them in chronological order but what the hell, ENJOY  ;D  ;D
Something I'll keep in mind, thanks!

My drawings on MySpace

jeffMc

I loved the Fish era, especially Script. However, the guys have done  a number of great things post Fish. And of course, that is what makes them progressive. Changes are good, in the positive direction. Even look at Genesis, yes, they stopped being "progressive" around Winds and Wuthering, but they did have some good music after that. I think Marillion has stayed in their own brand of progressive music. To me progressive is constantly trying new things. Marillion have definitely done that. THey will always be considered one of my favs. THough I find myself listening to "You Know He Knows" and "Market Square Heros" alot lately. They are in my playlist on my iPod Shuffle.

ok, enough rambling.

Ciao

Moonloop

True JeffMc, very true. The only thing I'd add is that I sometimes feel that Marillion try to change merely for change's sake, in some sort of quest to been seen as "contemporary" or "relevant" & in a lot of instances, it hasn't worked and achieved only a further thinning out of the fan base.

Still, they're well in control of their own destiny, so to speak & I dare say I'll keep buying the albums even if they're "not as good as they used to be"  ;)

Deenfan

Remember that the Castle years meant making songs under the whip to complete an album a year, thereby making money for the label. I liked the albums, but it doesn't seem like the band were very happy about some of the material, not mentioning the situation.
About changing: It may come from a desire to move as far away from old Genesis as possible... ;)

Highfire

I like the H era ... my favourite is Seasons End (Easter ... what a song!!!) :o
We have been chosen...

Deenfan

Yeah, and the whole album is lyrical excellence. Try "Berlin" for instance. Much has been written about the wall, but never anything like this one. Fantastic.

Appelmoes??

I just expanded my Original Cd's Pimp-List (See sig.) with another Marillion album: Script for a Jester's Tear. Another "Fish-Album" so I still can't vote :)

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

I happen to prefer the current 'H' era Marillion.  It's probably because I like the idea of bands continuing playing when line ups change, and not disappearing.  Marillion have continued to make music, and found ways around things that other bands hadn't thought of.

To be honest, I don't think Marillion would still be here now if Fish was still in the band. -No disrespect to Fish, of course!  I just think that the departure of Fish made the band stronger, possibly.  Which is a good thing!

The latest album, Marbles is a fantastic package (I brought the "Double Album in a book" version) - Well worth it!! :)

And Mark Kelly's keyboard rig is something to behold as well! ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Herben

Quote from: The Voyager on Wed, 2005-03-16, 15:37:30
  As for the worst Marillion effort, I think that "Radiation" is another suitable candidate. :P
Radiation is great just listen at Under the Sun, is a great song!!!!!!!
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2005-03-15, 17:41:18
I never took the time to get into Marillion. :o Sorry!! Don't beat the crap out of me...

(Read the Silmarillion though... :P)
I've read the Silmarillion, it's a nice book, but very complicated, a lot of names in it. You should read it too, but You'd better start with the other books first, if You don't like those You'll never like the Silmarillion. But don't be afraid it's impossible to make a film out of it, don't tell Peter Jackson he will start immediatly!! (or maybe do, I would like to see it, if it's a good one)
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land