News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nolan/Wakeman - Tales By Gaslight box set

Started by erik, Sat, 2021-02-06, 10:30:43

Previous topic - Next topic

erik

Besides Song Of The Wildlands in May there is more Clive stuff to come in April! Even though I have the original two Nolan/Wakeman albums this is autobuy for me.

https://burningshed.com/nolan-and-wakeman_tales-by-gaslight_3cd?filter_name=Nolan&filter_sub_category=true

QuoteThe Tales By Gaslight deluxe box set by Clive Nolan (Pendragon, Arena) and Oliver Wakeman (Yes, Strawbs) comprises 3 remastered CDs (each with a 16-page booklet) plus 3 art prints in a clamshell box.

Including guest performances by Peter Banks (Yes), Bob Catley (Magnum), Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon), Gordon Giltrap, Peter Gee (Pendragon), John Jowitt (IQ), Robert Powell and Rick Wakeman (amongst many others), the set features the duo's acclaimed Rock Operas Jabberwocky (1999) and The Hound Of The Baskervilles (2002) plus Dark Fables (a collection of over 40 minutes of music conceived for an abandoned album based on Frankenstein) and several unreleased pieces.

The first 250 box sets will also include a 4th limited edition numbered art print of the box set cover signed by Clive Nolan and Oliver Wakeman.

A beautiful set commemorating what was always intended by the duo as a trilogy of releases revolving around literary classics.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

Cool! ;D

Here's the tracklist for "Dark Fables":

1. 221B
2. The Man Called Sherlock
3. The Baker Street Irregulars
4. The Overture
5. I'd Give You Everything
6. The Mirror
7. Elizabeth
8. Why Do You Hate Me?
9. The Wedding Approaches
10. Time Passes
11. A Descent into Madness
12. The Jabberwocky (read by Rick Wakeman)

Unfortunately they didn't list the durations of the songs.
I'm guessing that the first three songs are part of "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" that didn't make the cut. And then tracks 4 until 11 are part of the Frankenstein tale. The last track is probably nothing more (and nothing less!) than Rick Wakeman reading the poem, which was cut in parts and scattered around on the album.

Really looking forward to the B-sides of "The Hound..." I really love that album. So the truth is, this could've been a double album. It's already 15 minutes longer than "Jabberwocky".

I just wonder, why was "Frankenstein" never finished? Did they think it wasn't good enough?

erik

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2021-02-08, 21:11:49
I just wonder, why was "Frankenstein" never finished? Did they think it wasn't good enough?
I read somewhere that it was shelved because of a lack of funding to complete the project. At any rate it is nice to get a taste of what could have been now with this release.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

erik

Lyric video for one of the Frankstein tracks "Who Do You Hate Me" : https://youtu.be/hHgejgg5Wy4

Pleasant surprise, very different from the two Nolan/Wakeman albums we know and reminds me a bit of Arena's Don't Forget To Breathe. Not just because of Paul Manzi on vocals but also the vibe and sound of the song.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

erik

So far the box set is only available at Burning Shed, I would pre-order this instantly but things have become complicated post-Brexit, the price of the box exceeds 22 EUR so additional 21% VAT and the 13 EURO handling fee that PostNL charges come in :(
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

maddox

Quote from: erik on Wed, 2021-03-10, 14:47:25
So far the box set is only available at Burning Shed, I would pre-order this instantly but things have become complicated post-Brexit, the price of the box exceeds 22 EUR so additional 21% VAT and the 13 EURO handling fee that PostNL charges come in :(

I've read some people mention up to 24 euro handling fee so 13 euro doesn't sound all to bad.
Still a lot more than 5 euros though.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.