News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Unpopulair music in mainstream places

Started by PH, Thu, 2013-01-10, 15:02:02

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Yesterday I was watching "EénVandaag" (formerly known as 'TweeVandaag'), a current affairs television programme on the Dutch tv. Suddenly, on an item about Hugo Chavez, I heard the intro of a familiar song.
Check for yourself:
http://www.eenvandaag.nl/buitenland/42373/portret_hugo_chavez
18 seconds in, you can hear Home Was Good by OSI being played in the background.
It occurred to me earlier, that they've also used some of Porcupine Tree's songs (Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, if I remember correctly) as background music in the very same tv programme a few months back.

So, there must be a Progger working at EénVandaag. Also I wonder if the bands/artists know about this, and if they get some kind of royalties for it...

Have you heard Progressive Rock on tv or somewhere where you didn't think you'd find it?

PH

Right now they're playing Porcupine Tree's Shallow on 'EénVandaag'.

Draco chimera

Not exactly the same, but I remember hearing video game themes in some investigation magazine on TV several times. And I do not mean the main, iconic theme every gamer knows, it was rather elaborate ambiance music. It's good to see that some people make some research instead of putting "that song everyone knows" in their programs. Or maybe they have different musical tastes from most people. Anyway, it's always good to hear.
Let your conscience decide !

PH

Quote from: Draco chimera on Thu, 2013-02-14, 19:17:05
Not exactly the same, but I remember hearing video game themes in some investigation magazine on TV several times. And I do not mean the main, iconic theme every gamer knows, it was rather elaborate ambiance music. It's good to see that some people make some research instead of putting "that song everyone knows" in their programs. Or maybe they have different musical tastes from most people. Anyway, it's always good to hear.

Yes, I once also heard the theme from Metal Gear Solid on the Dutch news "NOS Journaal".

PH

Again in EénVandaag, right now: Pink Floyd, Jean Michel Jarre, and two different OSI songs (both from the latest album).

maddox

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2013-06-08, 18:43:20
Again in EénVandaag, right now: Pink Floyd, Jean Michel Jarre, and two different OSI songs (both from the latest album).

A while back I heard in Eén Vandaag the intro of the Porcupine Tree song, Way out of Here.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2013-06-08, 23:51:49
A while back I heard in Eén Vandaag the intro of the Porcupine Tree song, Way out of Here.

Again today. Way Out Of Here.