News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Porcupine Tree - Live 2009

Started by Crazy Diamond, Mon, 2009-10-12, 23:02:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Diamond

Hi All

Any roomies seen PT on their tour this year ?

Was at Hammersmith on Friday (completly sold-out by the way) - We were treated to the whole of "The Incident" in the first half and a great selection across the back catalogue for part 2 (although not nuch from FoaBP). Playing all of the album was very reminiscent of Pink Floyd a la Roger Waters era, quite apt considering the nods to PF on the album - the band played the whole set faultlessly and the sound was spot on. Lots of energy from the band and a great atmosphere in the audience.

Steven Wilson dropped a hint that they would be playing in the UK again next year - I'll certainly be going  :)

Cheers

CD

The Butterfly Man

I just came back from Amsterdam were I saw a band on brilliant form! What a show! The highlights for me were The Incident (for obvious reasons...), The Pills I'm Taking, Russia On Ice, Normal and Strip The Soul.

And now I'm off to get some much needed sleep!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

keyboardistmatt

Are there photos around as well? :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

maddox

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Tue, 2009-10-13, 01:57:45
Are there photos around as well? :)

No, since the band specifically asked us not to take photo's and make no recordings of any kind.
And as a true human, i obviously respected their choice.  ;)

It was, however, a pretty decent performance.
That can't be said about Robert Fripp, that was strange. And that's the best word i can use for his performance.

Here's the setlist:

Maybe a spoiler alert?

Prt one:

The complete The Incident album in its entirety.

Part Two:
The Start of Something Beautiful
Russia on Ice/Anesthetize (second part, blended together in one brilliant song!)
Lazarus
Strip the Soul
Normal
Bonnie the Cat (lovely with that Knight-rider like bass tunes)

Encore:
The Sound of Muzak
Trains (of course)

I had a good evening.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2009-10-13, 11:20:59
It was, however, a pretty decent performance.

Pretty decent? They rocked!!! *horns*

QuoteThat can't be said about Robert Fripp, that was strange. And that's the best word i can use for his performance.

I'd call it boring. Maybe it's nice music for chilling out to, but not to warm up a crowd for a rock-concert!

Tom

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2009-10-13, 12:23:16
Pretty decent? They rocked!!! *horns*

A little bit too much, if you ask me.  ;)

Granted, it was my first PT concert but the sound was ... quite hard. And that's an understatement from some bloke who was wearing earplugs. ;)

ironcow2103

Saw them in Bristol on Saturday with my son. Both of us really very impressed.

No idea who the support was as we missed the start but given the guitarist spent most of his time side on to the audience looking at the drummer whilst doing his thing meant I don't really care... I must say I am getting fed up with poor support bands, maybe the headliners need to pitch a level higher when looking for support.

bellanova

The support band was called the Engineers. Very strange! I wont be buying their stuff! lol

Peter

Going to see them on Fri, 27th of November in Stuttgart. Hope they're not too spent by then :)

PS: To make a difference, I bought a Prodigy ticket for 21st Nov, whaaaa! :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2009-11-03, 22:27:16
Going to see them on Fri, 27th of November in Stuttgart. Hope they're not too spent by then :)

PS: To make a difference, I bought a Prodigy ticket for 21st Nov, whaaaa! :)

The Prodigy are awesome! :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Peter

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Thu, 2009-11-19, 01:05:24
The Prodigy are awesome! :)

Yes they are... concert was last Saturday night, still my calves and feet are hurting from all the jumping... 'cos that's what a Prodigy gig basically consists of: 1.5hrs of jumping :)

maddox

So you have many blisters on your feet right now.  ;D

Peter

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2009-11-23, 16:18:38
So you have many blisters on your feet right now.  ;D

Oh no, not blisters, just sore muscles, not being used to the effort...

Peter

... Friday, Stuttgart... gig coming up :)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2009-11-25, 11:18:43
... Friday, Stuttgart... gig coming up :)

How was it? Even if it was only half as good as the Amsterdam show back in October you must have had a great time!

Tom

Peter

The show itself was absolutely gorgeous, as I had expected. The new album was played as the first part of the show, accompanied by really great art work of videos and impressions. The second part was a good round up of newer PT music, really old stuff didn't get played, which is fine with me, actually. The "bonus tracks" were nice and I had the impression that the band and the crowd were *really* getting into it at this stage, and the gig could've become only better then. But it was already 23.30h, so....   :'(

To drop a word about the guest band, Stick Men, two guys who play Chapman Sticks, who were supported by the King Crimson drummer, forgotisname:
[               ]
i.e. I'm overwhelmed, and not in a good way. Never been in such a nightmare before, with all respect to the musicianship you need to bring to be able to play Chapman Stick. All I wanted to do during their part was to escape, which I didn't dare due to the relatively good position in the crowd I was standing at. This is Avant Garde or Progressive in the sense if the word. To me no more than noise and sound experimentation. The really f***d up mixing didn't really help, either. If he would want to do me a favor, Steven shouldn't invite anyone, before he would recruit "bands" like that one. If he wanted to do some contrast or so, he'd better be off with Vollenweider, Klaus Schulze or even a chamber orchestra.

So, in all, the evening was interesting :)

maddox

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2009-12-09, 20:01:40

To drop a word about the guest band, Stick Men, two guys who play Chapman Sticks, who were supported by the King Crimson drummer, forgotisname:
[               ]

If i recall correctly it's the same drummer you saw later on in the evening: Gavin Harrison.  ;)

Peter

*smack*

tssssss..... I would have recognized him. A guy next to me said he was the King Crimson drummer, I'm not really sure if it's like that, neither do I care :P

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2009-12-09, 20:01:40
The show itself was absolutely gorgeous, as I had expected. The new album was played as the first part of the show, accompanied by really great art work of videos and impressions. The second part was a good round up of newer PT music, really old stuff didn't get played, which is fine with me, actually. The "bonus tracks" were nice and I had the impression that the band and the crowd were *really* getting into it at this stage, and the gig could've become only better then. But it was already 23.30h, so....   :'(

[               ]
i.e. I'm overwhelmed, and not in a good way. Never been in such a nightmare before, with all respect to the musicianship you need to bring to be able to play Chapman Stick. All I wanted to do during their part was to escape, which I didn't dare due to the relatively good position in the crowd I was standing at. This is Avant Garde or Progressive in the sense if the word. To me no more than noise and sound experimentation. The really f***d up mixing didn't really help, either. If he would want to do me a favor, Steven shouldn't invite anyone, before he would recruit "bands" like that one. If he wanted to do some contrast or so, he'd better be off with Vollenweider, Klaus Schulze or even a chamber orchestra.

So, in all, the evening was interesting :)

Good to hear you had a great evening! Too bad about the support-act though! If it's any consolation: The support-act in Amsterdam was also – dare I say it – a big letdown. Robert Fripp's (from King Crimson) solo-performance consisted basically of just soundscapes with the occasional note played by Fripp on the guitar. Not the kind of warming up you'd expect at a rock concert!

Tom