News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

09-05-09 Credo en Blind Ego, de Boerderij, Zoetermeer.

Started by maddox, Sun, 2009-05-10, 10:22:24

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

I'm not going to complain.
I'm not allowed to.
Over here in the Netherlands, a hundred metres beneath the sea level, aka from where you all live [ ;)] we have a saying that you shouldn't look into the mouth of a given horse.
Have no idea if you have a saying in English that has a similar meaning but thankfully for me this was a healthy young horse i'd say.  ;D

About the Venue.
De Boerderij is not big. On the contrary.
I think, when sold out, the maximum people that can enter the venue would be 500 hundred or so.
Tonight however, and while saying that i must admit that that's an optimistic view, there were about 125 heads in the venue. Not much, that's true and a shame actually.
The rest of the 375 surely missed a good concert.

Credo started off.

I'm familiar with Credo. That means that i have Rhetoric and heard a few tracks on their Myspace-site.
They played a solid set, though the drums were a bit too loud.
The keyboards were very present but i think that that's how Credo plays their music.
All were in a pretty good shape tonight, with the singer Mark Colton making that good ol' English jokes like 'buy our CD or we won't have money to get on the boat and go home tonight':D
He also stated: If you like our music, we're Credo. If you don't, we are called Magenta:D :D
And he had the guts to ask us what the name was of the local, professional Soccer-team. Let's not get into that any further i'd say.  ;D
They played to my knowledge six songs tonight.
Five 'oldies' and one new song for the yet to be released new album. Good song by the way, it makes me curious for the CD.
From the other songs i recognised Skintrade and the brilliant track about the victims of WWI and WWII Too Late To Say Goodbye.
All in all it was a pretty decent set from these guys. Quality Neo-prog as it should be.

And then the reason why i won the tickets [ ;D]:

Blind Ego

They played a few songs from their first album Mirror but the lion's share of the set was reserved for NUMB, which is a brilliant album in my humble opinion.
At first i was surprised that i didn't see a keyboard player on the stage. Just two guitarists, a bass player, a drummer and Paul Wrightson, who had a tough night since he wasn't feeling all to well. The flue as he said on the end.
They started off with Lost and then followed with Guilt, the first two songs of the Numb album.
The other songs from NUMB were, in totally random order since i'm a nutcase when it comes to remembering the right setlist [ :-[]:

Numb,
Leave,
Death,
Change (the long version),
Seek,
Risk (an acoustic performance by Kalle and Paul),
Torn,
Vow (a grungy rocker).

Speaking of Grunge. The word Grunge went through my head a couple of times. I've head people say that Blind Ego plays hardrock like Queensryche and the proggy-side has influences of Arena and such but to me it really had a grungy touch.
From the album Mirror i heard

Moon And Sun (according to Paul it was a song dedicated to Sabastian Harnack's (sylvan) girlfriend who he haven't seen for almost a month  ;D),
Obsession (like Paul said, a song dedicated to the lady's in the room),
Mirror,
Break You.

Of the two albums i like Numb best but the other songs were pretty good too.
Further on they played an RPWL song from the album NINE (can't tell for sure but i think it was Someone Else) and the real closer was a blast:

A cover from Judas Priest!  :D :D :D
Breaking The Law.  *horns* *horns* *horns*

A worthy closer for the evening i'd say.
All in all i had a very good evening indeed. It started at eight and ended at almost twelve o'clock when the werewolves began to howl.  ;D

To end this dramatically long post of mine, i'd like to leave with a quote from Paul about his condition:

Quote from: Paul WrightsonA very special thanks to the bastard who gave me this flue.

;D

I hope this insight of last night was useful to you all.  ;)

*Disclaimer: don't mind the spell-errors. I still have some echoes in my ears from last night.  :-[ :P
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Steve Jones

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2009-05-10, 10:22:24
Over here in the Netherlands, a hundred metres beneath the sea level, aka from where you all live [ ;)] we have a saying that you shouldn't look into the mouth of a given horse.
Have no idea if you have a saying in English that has a similar meaning

Yup.  "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" *horns*

Speaking of Grunge. The word Grunge went through my head a couple of times. I've head people say that Blind Ego plays hardrock like Queensryche and the proggy-side has influences of Arena and such but to me it really had a grungy touch.

I think there's a fair bit of Grunge in the latter-day Queensrÿche (eg Q2K), so I'm happy with that.   8)

Thanks for taking the time to type the review - wish I'd been there ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Teunis

At first i was surprised that i didn't see a keyboard player on the stage.
I'm not surprised. There's no keyboard on the album 'Numb' either ;). Actually keyboards are my main reason for loving prog, but I don't miss them on the album  *horns*. I have to admit that I read it in the booklet and didn't notice it in the beginning  ;D. Anyway, glad you had a great time, Blind Ego rocks!
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

The Butterfly Man

I think, when sold out, the maximum people that can enter the venue would be 500 hundred or so.

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert Mad, but the capacity of 'De Boerderij' is actually 800, and not 500. I remember when I saw Blind Ego last year (or the year before) they were playing with Sylvan in 'De Boederij' as well and back then the venue wasn't sold out either, but at least there was a fairly reasonable crowd. But I think that Sylvan is a lot more 'popular' in Holland than Credo (or Blind Ego for that matter), so maybe that's got something to do with it. ???

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-05-13, 13:25:05
I'm glad you enjoyed the concert Mad, but the capacity of 'De Boerderij' is actually 800, and not 500. I remember when I saw Blind Ego last year (or the year before) they were playing with Sylvan in 'De Boederij' as well and back then the venue wasn't sold out either, but at least there was a fairly reasonable crowd. But I think that Sylvan is a lot more 'popular' in Holland than Credo (or Blind Ego for that matter), so maybe that's got something to do with it. ???

Tom

Ah okay. Thanks for that, Tom.
800 is a reasonable number.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.