News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Started by The Butterfly Man, Sun, 2009-03-15, 17:51:51

Previous topic - Next topic

erik

Interesting Bupie,well, the album has something for everyone at any rate!

A Nightmare To Remember, Shattered Fortress (still) and Count Of Tuscany (as well now) are my faves. Best Of Times is also really good. Rite Of Passage hasn't really grabbed me yet.

Wither has grown on me and as Maddox pointed out is well-placed for the balance of the album, but the part at the end where James starts to sing the chorus sotto voce, inducing this sort of "hands in the air and all together now" feel is really too much for me. :-\

I think the album overall ranks among the best of their oeuvre and is really consistent, an improvement over its predecessor that's also great but less consistent.

We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

The Butterfly Man

The album's been out for a while now and I listened to it a lot. I'm beginning to think that this album is among my favourite DT-records (together with Scenes and Six Degrees).

At the moment the first track, A Nightmare To Remember, is my favourite song. I really like everything about this track: The heavy verses, the gothic-like keyboardsounds, the peaceful middle bit with it's great melodies and singing, the solo's, MP's growly vocals (although they don't really fit with the lyrics, they do fit with the music!), the ultra-fast arpeggio's JP plays directly after that and of course the blast beats towards the end of the song.

A Rite Of Passage is they only track I'm not really sure of. It's not that I dislike it, I just think that the other tracks are way better! The one thing I do dislike about this track though is the hideous (iPhone)solo Jordan plays right after the 'regular' keyboardsolo.

Wither is a great ballad with some mainstream-potential. When I first heard this song it reminded me of a Staind-song (it still does by the way). The guitarsolo isn't Staind-like at all (they hardly play any solo's) but here Queen's Brian May comes to mind.

The Shattered Fortress is a great conclusion to the AA-suite. Some people think it's an ordinary cut/paste job but I think it's fabulously executed. It's great to hear those older riffs again! Next to this there are also quite a few new riffs to be heard and I think that the last vocal-section of the song ("I am responsible...") is one of the strongest moments of the album.

The Best Of Times is quite emotional, considering it's about Mike Portnoy's dad who passed away during the recording of the album. I like the fact that despite of this the song is pretty upbeat. Then after 10 minutes there is this huge 3-minute soaring guitarsolo...Too bad they end the song woth a fade-out, but this is only a very minor complaint.

Then the last track, The Count Of Tuscany is an epic that only Dream Theater can pull off. The lyrics are not the strongest point here, but the music is! It's a real rollercoaster-ride with all kinds of different moods portrayed through the music. The buildup to the last section of the song is really fantastic and ends the album on a high!

*horns* *horns* *horns*

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Bupie

I am listening to it almost every day for three weeks now and I have to say that apart from TSF that still doesn't grip me (apart from the TROAE reprise), everything else is highly enjoyable. I think TCOT really stands out, its 19 minutes flowing very well. I don't have problem with the lyrics which are fine for me. But maybe I would see things differently if English was my first langage ?

About Wither, I understand what Erik means with the "too much" factor but, to be honesti, t doesn't bother me at all  :)

There's a lot to say about the covers too but I'll do that after a good night of sleep.

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2009-07-13, 13:43:34
Then the last track, The Count Of Tuscany is an epic that only Dream Theater can pull off. The lyrics are not the strongest point here, but the music is! It's a real rollercoaster-ride with all kinds of different moods portrayed through the music. The buildup to the last section of the song is really fantastic and ends the album on a high!

I agree fully with you there, Tom  8)

You'r also right about the lyrics, and this has nothin to do with the English, Bups:  While they'r good, and the tale grabs ya, and they would be outstanding for most other groups, they're not at all as thought-provoking as e.g. The Ministry Of Lost Souls, or as heart-wrenching as The Best Of Times and Take Away My Pain.

But as you imply, Tom, it's not an issue. There are numerous over-the-top lyrics in the DT-catalog. What this song is about is MUSIC, and there they succeed totally - they take away my pain and conjure up the best of times  *horns*

I'm actually surprised that you can show such good judgement at your tender age, Tom  8)  (tryin to get Paxi jealous again)  ;D

The album's been out for a while now and I listened to it a lot. I'm beginning to think that this album is among my favourite DT-records (together with Scenes and Six Degrees).

But here I can't follow you, Tom. I simply can't grade the DT studio albums, as they'r all (apart from the first, of course) fruits of tremendous genius and very varied and different from each other.

It's like grading Kubrick's movies; can't do that either  :-\

If I have ever during the past three years bored myself in company with DT, it's forgotten due to the abundance of excitement this band has provided me with  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-07-31, 15:32:56
I'm actually surprised that you can show such good judgement at your tender age, Tom  8)  (tryin to get Paxi jealous again)  ;D

So you're just saying that because you want to get Paco jealous? :'(

;)

QuoteBut here I can't follow you, Tom. I simply can't grade the DT studio albums, as they'r all (apart from the first, of course) fruits of tremendous genius and very varied and different from each other.

Well yes, I think all albums are good, they all have something unique, but one always has his favourites, no matter how much you like the whole catalog a band has put out. In my case, these favourites are Black Clouds & Silver Linings, Six Degrees and Scenes. However, that's not by any means implying that I think Awake for example is a bad album (far from that actually! 8)).

Tom

Manatee

Dream Theater progress report:  Listened to the whole shebang of Black Clouds & Silver Linings again last night (with a few bonus plays of Count of Tuscany).  I'd say I like some of it, am not crazy about some of it, and still think "Count of Tuscany" is a great song.  I think I'm beginning to take a shine to "Wither."  On the whole, I certainly can see what you folks like about the band.  Some of it I like too; some of it doesn't quite do it for me.  My guess is that they'll end up being a band I enjoy in moderation but probably will not become one of my favorites.  Hey, it's not complete triumph for Team DT (non-Devin variety), but at least you've made some progress.   ;)
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-09-19, 18:31:54
Dream Theater progress report:  Listened to the whole shebang of Black Clouds & Silver Linings again last night (with a few bonus plays of Count of Tuscany).  I'd say I like some of it, am not crazy about some of it, and still think "Count of Tuscany" is a great song.  I think I'm beginning to take a shine to "Wither."  On the whole, I certainly can see what you folks like about the band.  Some of it I like too; some of it doesn't quite do it for me.  My guess is that they'll end up being a band I enjoy in moderation but probably will not become one of my favorites.  Hey, it's not complete triumph for Team DT (non-Devin variety), but at least you've made some progress.   ;)

Did you manage to make any further progress in the last week and a half? I gotta admit you've come a loooong way! :D

Tom

Manatee

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2009-09-29, 14:16:53
Did you manage to make any further progress in the last week and a half? I gotta admit you've come a loooong way! :D

Tom

I'd say I'm in about the same spot with the exception of having heard something from Scenes From a Memory that I thought was pretty good on Morow.com.  I never thought they were a *bad* band.  Their technical ability has always been clear.  I just didn't find (and still don't) some of the songs to my taste, and I still don't care for the vocals in most cases.  Instrumentally, they certainly kick arse when they feel like it (which seems to be often).

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-09-19, 18:31:54
On the whole, I certainly can see what you folks like about the band.  Some of it I like too; some of it doesn't quite do it for me.  My guess is that they'll end up being a band I enjoy in moderation but probably will not become one of my favorites.  Hey, it's not complete triumph for Team DT (non-Devin variety), but at least you've made some progress.   ;)

You sure are fighting fiercely, Greenie  *horns*

Face it, it's a losing battle  ;D ;D ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-09-30, 18:55:27
You sure are fighting fiercely, Greenie  *horns*

Face it, it's a losing battle  ;D ;D ;D

Nicky.

I specialize in lost causes.   ;)

Nicky007

Maybe if you'd stop fighting her, she'd let you take the next step .....  :D

It's true that a large part of The Shattered Fortress is disturbing rather than enjoyable, but the last part is absolutely glorious  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-10-02, 13:40:30
...a large part of The Shattered Fortress is disturbing rather than enjoyable...

Are you serious? :o

Tom

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2009-10-02, 15:19:21

Tom

I must agree with Nicky here, Tom.

Especially when you don't know the story, it does sound chaotic.
As an end to the Glass Prison suite, it's a nice one but as a stand-alone not.

It could've been better if you ask me.

Goes the same for The Best Of Times.
Personal, yes but it's close to boredom if you ask me.

I've learned to be sceptical and critical in the past few months, not?  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2009-10-02, 21:35:29
I must agree with Nicky here, Tom.

Especially when you don't know the story, it does sound chaotic.
As an end to the Glass Prison suite, it's a nice one but as a stand-alone not.

Well, maybe you're right in saying that it sounds a bit chaotic if you don't know the other songs from the AA-suite (The Glass Prison, This Dying Soul, The Root Of All Evil, Repentance) , but I happen to be very familiar with these songs and I think The Shattered Fortress is a terriffic conclusion to the suite with many recurring themes from earlier songs. Have you already listened to the songs that form the suite back to back?

I have to say however that I think the very strongest part from The Shattered Fortress is the last vocal passage. "I am responsible when anyone, anywhere reaches out for help", etc.

Tom

Bupie

You're in for a great evening, Tom, since I think you like Opeth as well and it seems that both bands were convincing at the Paris concert  despite the fact that, unfortunately, JP has not lost weight, quite the contrary ...

Never heard a note from Unexcept nor Big Elf, though  ???

erik

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-10-07, 10:56:41
Well, maybe you're right in saying that it sounds a bit chaotic if you don't know the other songs from the AA-suite (The Glass Prison, This Dying Soul, The Root Of All Evil, Repentance) , but I happen to be very familiar with these songs and I think The Shattered Fortress is a terriffic conclusion to the suite with many recurring themes from earlier songs. Have you already listened to the songs that form the suite back to back?
I agree with you here, Tom, the bold bit sums it up perfectly for me. Maybe because it's familiar it clicks easily and maybe it's more accesible if you know the previous parts (but then again, apart form Greenie everyone does right :P ). I haven't tried to play the whole suite yet, must make a playlist of that.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Bupie

Good idea, Erik, I haven't tried neither but I bet that the whole suite will see the light someday as an EP or a live album.

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2009-10-02, 15:19:21

I meant "disturbing" in an exciting way (just like the movie Caché that Ms and I saw last weekend)  *horns*

I only find DT unexciting in some of their covers, and maybe at places on their live albums. Else they'r tight as hell, and there's not one superfluous note  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Get that, Deenie ?  :P :P :P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2009-10-26, 17:02:55
Good idea, Erik, I haven't tried neither but I bet that the whole suite will see the light someday as an EP or a live album.
Credit where credit's due: it's Tom's of course ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Bupie

I guess this is not the first thread that Deenie is going to check at his next visit but yesterday I listened again to the "soft" parts of BC&SL (Wither, Best Of Times and The Count ...) with my one-and-a-half year old daughter (the Empress was out  ;D) and it really was a moving experience, just both of us and this little angel in my arms. On The Count..., when the acoustic guitar gets back at the end of the atmospheric passage, it's just ...  :'(