News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Started by The Butterfly Man, Sun, 2009-03-15, 17:51:51

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2009-05-18, 18:02:46
The first cover is revealed : it will be Rainbow's Stargazer

I must confess I don't know (or don't remember) this song  :-[

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.fr/page/News?news_id=77455

You don't know it?  :o
It's a classic.  8)
Though i think that R. Blackmore is seriously overrated.  :-\

The other covers are also known by the way.
It has been leaked on Wikipedia.
The whole album has been leaked too.

You really can't stop that.  :-\ :-\ :-\
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2009-05-18, 19:15:35
The other covers are also known by the way.
It has been leaked on Wikipedia.

I don't want to know the rest of the coversongs yet, so please don't post them here! Not saying that you were gonna do that Mad, but this is to anyone who is reading this.

QuoteThe whole album has been leaked too.

You really can't stop that.  :-\ :-\ :-\

It's frustrating...I was on another board and people were talking about all the songs and telling each other where to get it. So disrespectful to the people who want to wait until they finally have the album in their hands. >:(

But......did you download it? (no offence if you did, as long as you don't go into detail! :D)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2009-05-18, 19:55:18
I don't want to know the rest of the coversongs yet, so please don't post them here! Not saying that you were gonna do that Mad, but this is to anyone who is reading this.

Actually, for a brief moment i was thinking about it.
But then i remembered your reply about the Scarsick of PoS and i thought 'nah, that isn't a good idea'.  ;)

QuoteIt's frustrating...I was on another board and people were talking about all the songs and telling each other where to get it. So disrespectful to the people who want to wait until they finally have the album in their hands. >:(

I see your point.
I must say that i do download from time to time but i only tend to download the albums/artists that i don't know of.
That way is better to get a good opinion about a certain band.
Then i know if i can/would/should buy that particular album or not.

QuoteBut......did you download it? (no offence if you did, as long as you don't go into detail! :D)

Tom

Funny, one of my 'friends' on LastFM just asked me the same question.  :D
The answer is : No.

I'm tempted, especially because people are ranting about it [ ???  ::)] but i'm sure i can wait a little longer.  ;)

Did you buy the Deluxe version?
It's also available at NLstore.
That's where i bought mine.  8)
With €5 euro discount.  ;D

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2009-05-18, 20:31:14
Actually, for a brief moment i was thinking about it.
But then i remembered your reply about the Scarsick of PoS and i thought 'nah, that isn't a good idea'.  ;)

Hmm I don't recall that at all! ???

I'm tempted, especially because people are ranting about it [ ???  ::)]

Are they? Then it must be really good! ;) I remember in the months leading up to the release of Octavarium word was on the street that the album had leaked. But the album that leaked was actually James Labrie's solo album Elements Of Persuation, with the album and all the tracks being renamed to Octavarium and it's songs. This led to a lot of people bashing DT for being nu-metal(ish) and heading in a more commercial direction. :D

Did you buy the Deluxe version?
It's also available at NLstore.
That's where i bought mine.  8)
With €5 euro discount.  ;D

You know, I posted a link to the Deluxe edition a while ago but I still haven't ordered it. I don't know if I'll do it because it's a lot of money for an album. Besides, I'll probably never ever play the LP. And I can live without a DT-mousepad as well I guess... The only thing I'm really interested in is the disc with the isolated audio tracks of the entire album that is only available with this set. But I don't know if it's worth that amount of money to be honest... So yeah, I can't really make up my mind yet.

Tom

Bupie

I also accidentaly found the list of all covers in a spoiler thread of a French forum and Stargazer was one of them so I think the list is correct but I never thought of revealing it here.

Personnaly, I would prefer that no song at all has leaked and I even regret that AROP has been made public before the album release but that the way things go nowadays  :(

I don't plan to listen to any other song before the end of June, though. But I probably will read many things on them in the meantime  :)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2009-05-19, 10:26:19
Personnaly, I would prefer that no song at all has leaked and I even regret that AROP has been made public before the album release but that the way things go nowadays  :(

Well yes, but that is different because that song was made public by RoadRunner. I downloaded it, listened to it a few times, liked it, but won't listen to it again until I get the album.

I don't plan to listen to any other song before the end of June, though. But I probably will read many things on them in the meantime  :)

Same here, but I hope I don't read too much about it to be honest. Anticipation is killing me already, imagine what I feel like after reading several detailed song-descriptions... ::)

Tom

The Butterfly Man

Stargazer is now available for download!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=77463

Not for me though... ;)

Tom

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2009-05-19, 08:38:29
I can't really make up my mind.

Forget that, I made up my mind and pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition a few minutes ago. I still think it's a lot of money for an album, but I just got my salary so I thought 'what the heck!' :P

By the way, this is what it looks like:

Tom

Bupie

Totally useless in my case but pretty impressive though  :o

I don't know why bands never make special editions with a specific t-shirt included, I would buy it for sure. Maybe a packaging issue ? Or the problem of choosing the right size ... which shouldn't be a problem for online orders.

Nicky007

What, are there vinyls too ? - or what are the big discs ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-05-29, 13:45:45
What, are there vinyls too ? - or what are the big discs ?

Included in this 'Deluxe Collector's Edition Box Set' are:

- 3-CD Special Edition Set Includes Album, Instrumental Mixes and 6 Newly Recorded Cover Songs
- Limited Edition Audiophile 180-Gram Double LP Set with Exclusive Artwork from Hugh Syme
- Black Clouds & Silver Linings "Producer's Edition" Disc Includes Isolated Audio Tracks of the Entire Album (This Bonus Disc Only Available in This Set)
- Limited Edition, Numbered Lithograph by Legendary Artist Hugh Syme. 100 Lucky Winners will Find a Litho Personally Signed by the Artist!
- Computer Mouse Pad, Exclusively Available with Box Set
- Find a SILVER TICKET and Win a MEET & GREET with the Band!
- Packaged in a Silver Foil Embossed Black Velvet Box

Tom

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2009-05-29, 10:12:02
Forget that, I made up my mind and pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition a few minutes ago. I still think it's a lot of money for an album, but I just got my salary so I thought 'what the heck!' :P

By the way, this is what it looks like:

Tom

It definitely looks like the one i ordered.  ;D
Looks impressive.  8)

maddox

PH

Whoa! They have long necks!
Only Myung looks the same as always.
;D

Nicky007

Yeah, not very striking in any way. I could hardly distinguish between Petrucci and Portnoy, altho I know them quite well now from interviews and other portrayals.

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2009-05-29, 17:29:04
- Limited Edition Audiophile 180-Gram Double LP Set with Exclusive Artwork from Hugh Syme

Who listens to LP's these days  ???

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

How about these from Wiki - Black Clouds & Silver Linings (Tom and Mad, don't tell me you havent been here):

"Rich Wilson, author of Lifting Shadows, previewed the album for Metal Hammer. He called the album 'Dream Theater's finest and most balanced album in a decade'."

"Mike Portnoy described Black Clouds & Silver Linings as, 'a Dream Theater album with A Change Of Seasons, Octavarium, Learning To Live, Pull Me Under and The Glass Prison all on one album.' Jordan Rudess later explained, 'We've been entering into the Gothic domain quite a bit on this album. There's nothing like a really, really powerful and cool choir sound.' In an interview with Eddie Trunk, Portnoy stated that the album would be around 75 minutes and consist of 'four epics and two singles'."

"The Best Of Times [a track on BCSL] is about Mike Portnoy's father, who died due to cancer. 'I just wanted to write something that was a tribute to our life together,' said Portnoy, who played the song for his father prior to his death."

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Yes i already read that one.
Rich Wilson is also a member of VoicesUK (like me) and also wrote the official Biography Lifting Shadows (which i also have, including my name in it  ;D).

Steve Jones

Excellent!  Just had an e-mail from Amazon saying my copy has despatched.  If postie's not planning to deliver this first thing Monday morning he'd better make sure his passport is up to date! ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2009-06-20, 14:24:01
Excellent!  Just had an e-mail from Amazon saying my copy has despatched.  If postie's not planning to deliver this first thing Monday morning he'd better make sure his passport is up to date! ;D

Mine copy of it should arrive today.

And it did.
Yet i wasn't at home and because the package is rather big, the mailman took it with him again.  >:( >:( >:(

While my neighbours are at home!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

ironcow2103

Well mine arrived from Amazon yesterday and is on continual play. Really enjoying it, it does have a flavour of many previous albums and styles putting you in mind at times of Scenes From A Memory then more recent stuff. I don't think this will convert people who dislike DT but it will please fans of new and old stuff alike...

The covers disc is good, nice to hear somebody cover Stargazer although the original is still the best (and no Blackmore is not overrated, under appreciated more like, compare the original guitar work and how it flows to this cover...)

Haven't listened to the InstruMental (their emphasis) versions yet...

maddox

Bad news for the American visitors of Progressive Nation, featuring DT, Zappa Plays Zappa, Pain Of Salvation and BeardFish.

Because of the financial troubles of SPV and daughter-company Inside Out both Beardfish and PoS had to pull out.  :(

Big Elf and Scale The Summit will be replacing them.
I've never heard of Scale The Summit but apparently they are a progressive instrumental band from USA.

erik

Just had a first listen whilst doing my domestic cleaning chores, up to Count Of Tuscany. Very favourable first impression, killer album!! DT *horns*

My only gripe so far is Wither, the DT ballads are a mixed affair but this is really (too) formulaic.

Will get back to this when I've heard it more often including Tuscany.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

erik

Second listen/impression still very favourable! A Nightmare To Remember and The Shattered Fortress are stand out tracks so far. Regarding the latter, I also like the earlier songs very much and this is a great synthesis and ending to the cycle. *horns*
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

maddox

Funny, if you forget about the metal-side that Dream Theater often (understatement) showed in the past few years, then Wither isn't that different then Innocence Faded or some other softer tracks from FII or a few tracks from SFAM.

I like Wither very much and it is well placed in the centre of the album.

Best track for me so far is by far A Nightmare To Remember, closely followed by The Count. But then again, i'm an epic-freak. I think i may have mentioned that before.  ;D
The only track that i had doubts about in the beginning was, ironically enough, The Best Of Times. But even that one is beginning to grow on me. Not literally of course.  ;D

Overall i don't think it's their best album, but it is a major improvement to Sys. Chaos.
A return to form if you ask me.  8) 8) 8)

Bupie

Hey, I am up to five of six complete listens and, hum,  :-[ my opinion is quite completely opposite to Erik's.

So far, my favorite song is Wither : I have always been a sucker for such AORish ballads when they are well made and this one is almost perfect : great chorus, short but great guitar solo, no noodling and a shining James. James is excellent throughout the album IMHO  *horns*

The Best Of Times is also great and reminds me of the times of Surrounded or Innoncence Faded. Nice acoustic intro that leads to some killer riffing, another catchy chorus and a grand guitar finale. The fadeout is the only thing that bothers me, especially from a band that most often extends song over and over. Maybe it's related to the song's message, the fadeout being the representation of a leaving life ?

The Count Of Tuscany is another winner. I still have to get deeper in it but the intro is one of the best  in DT's history. Again, a catchy chorus, which is another very good point for me throughout the album.

These are the three standout tracks for me. As for the three others :

ANTR could be a huge song but I think it's really plagued by the sterile solo section for something like three minutes (!) from about 8'00''. The song also drags too much by its end. Cut it to 12', like many DT songs that I love (TGP, TROAE, TBOT ...) and you have a winner. That is where an outside producer would really help. Alas, Mike is too obstinate ...  :P  The section with semi-growling from Mike doesn't bother me at all, quite the contrary.

AROP didn't convince me when I watched the video. Maybe the sound on my PC, maybe the lyrics, maybe the video itself. I changed my mind, thanks to another great chorus. It's a nice metal song. Unfortunately, again it features some unnecessary soloing  :P

The concept of the Shattered Fortress (melting some parts of the AA's series' previous songs with completely new parts) is interesting but so far I am not convinced by the result (that might change) and, near the end, the passage of TROAE reminds me how a great song this one was compared to TSF.

I think that, logically, the people who like DT for the metal side will prefer ANTR, AROP and TSF while the people -like me- who like their more symphonic/AOR approach will prefer Wither, TBOT and TCOT. But I don't think there is so much logic amongst DT's fans.

All and all, a very good album that only lacks an outisde producer to cut off the fat but I don't think that these clouds and linings will make the sceptics (hello Manatee  :)) change their mind, though.