News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Started by The Butterfly Man, Sun, 2009-03-15, 17:51:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

Quote•Find a SILVER TICKET and Win a MEET & GREET with the Band!

Would that make them the Willy Wonka of prog metal?
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2009-05-04, 23:15:14
Oooh, this is fun:

So, let's see:

Who is going to order the very special Deluxe set?  :D :D :D

1: Me. (at least, i will try too. It's a load of big money i'd say.  :-\)

;D

Hey Mad, check this: http://www.large-online.nl/bin/shop.php?prog=shop&mid=&article=439382&funktion=PRODUCTINFO&bildrub=&product=Dream%20Theater:%20Black%20clouds%20&%20silver%20linings&tc=SEARCH

I think I'm gonna order it here. Saves me a lot on shipping costs! *horns* The only 'negative' point about ordering it this way is that you won't get to download the cover-songs prior to the release date, that's only if you order through RoadRunner.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Bupie

Frankly, it's a bit too much for me on all aspects  :P

And I don't see any trace of the package that would interest me, I mean a 2 CD set featuring the regular album + the 6 covers. Maybe it will show up later ...

PH

Hmm... About the SUPER-DUPER ULTRA SPECIAL MEGA-LIMITED EDITION: I think I'll pass.
The somewhat more 'standard' 3 disc edition will do fine. ;)

The Butterfly Man

It seems the single for A Rite Of Passage will be released on May 11!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0028GDZ7Y/ref=sr_f2_album_1?ie=UTF8&child=B0028GHRLE&qid=1241545315&sr=102-1

There´s also a little preview-clip to be heard! *horns*

Tom

The Butterfly Man

Forget the preview-clip, you can download the whole song here: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/ariteofpassage/

And the good thing is, it is legal! *horns*

I have no idea what it sounds like because I'm at work right now. Man, this is gonna be a long day...

Tom

Steve Jones

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2009-05-05, 18:44:49
Frankly, it's a bit too much for me on all aspects  :P

And I don't see any trace of the package that would interest me, I mean a 2 CD set featuring the regular album + the 6 covers. Maybe it will show up later ...

Isn't it the 3CD set you want then?  The album proper plus an extra disc with the covers?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blackclouds/

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-05-06, 08:05:49
Forget the preview-clip, you can download the whole song here: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/ariteofpassage/
And the good thing is, it is legal! *horns*

Cheers Tom, downloaded *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Bupie

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-05-06, 08:38:27
Isn't it the 3CD set you want then?  The album proper plus an extra disc with the covers?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blackclouds/

Well, I could do without the instrumental mixes CD because I don't plan to organize DT's karaoke evenings on a regular basis at home : I think that could slightly bother the Empress ...  ::)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-05-06, 08:38:27
Cheers Tom, downloaded *horns*

Well, what does it sound like? It's so frustrating that my computer at work doesn't have speakers! Then again, I don't think my collegues can appreciate DT blasting through the office... Oh well, 'only' 6 more hours. :P

Tom

Steve Jones

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-05-06, 10:00:46
Well, what does it sound like? It's so frustrating that my computer at work doesn't have speakers!

I don't know, I'm listening on my iPod at the moment and want to finish what I'm playing before I switch to the laptop.

Comment #1 - It's not a lo-fi download, it's sampled at 320kbps *horns*

Comment #2 - Make sure you access your profile and update it when you receive the confirmation e-mail.  This lets you download a FREE compilation album.  I went for the metal one, which includes:

01  Trivium - Throes of Perdition
02  Slipknot - Dead Memories
03  DragonForce - The Last Journey Home
04  Mutiny Within - Awake (Demo)
05  Machine Head - Halo
06  Opeth - Burden
07  Port Amoral - Villians
08  Cradle of Filth - Honey and Sulphur
09  Soulfly - Blood Fire War Hate
Video - Roadrunner United - The Dagger (Live)
Video - Dream Theater - Forsaken (Live)

I do love a freebie! ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2009-05-06, 09:35:52
Well, I could do without the instrumental mixes CD because I don't plan to organize DT's karaoke evenings on a regular basis at home : I think that could slightly bother the Empress ...  ::)

There's no pleasing some folks ;)

Of course, there's probably those who don't want to pay for the versions WITH the vocals ::) ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

PH

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-05-06, 10:15:46
Comment #2 - Make sure you access your profile and update it when you receive the confirmation e-mail.  This lets you download a FREE compilation album.  I went for the metal one

How cool! :) Must check that out when I'm home!

Tom

Steve Jones

Well, I've only played 'A Rite of Passage' once so far, but it's good, solid, heavy DT that bodes well for the album.  Doesn't really tread any new ground, so won't convert non-believers.  Great guitar and keyboard breaks toward the end.
Regards, Steve Jones

Bupie

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-05-06, 10:19:44
Of course, there's probably those who don't want to pay for the versions WITH the vocals ::) ;D

Considering it this way, the instrumental CD makes sense indeed ...  :D

Tom, some infos about the covers ? The French fanclub doesn't have a clue  :(  Holy Wars or Tornado Of Souls, maybe  ;D  I also heard that Cemetary Gates could be one of them ?

Manatee

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-05-06, 10:00:46
Well, what does it sound like? It's so frustrating that my computer at work doesn't have speakers! Then again, I don't think my collegues can appreciate DT blasting through the office... Oh well, 'only' 6 more hours. :P

I used to keep a set of inexpensive earphones at work for just that reason.  Works great as long as you don't have people trying to talk to you across your office while you're listening.

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-05-06, 10:19:44

Actually, that's just what I'd need to want to buy a Dream Theater album.  There's no question they can play their arses off; LaBrie's singing just grates on me.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2009-05-06, 10:45:57
Tom, some infos about the covers ? The French fanclub doesn't have a clue  :(  Holy Wars or Tornado Of Souls, maybe  ;D  I also heard that Cemetary Gates could be one of them ?

There has been no official word on the covers yet, but Mike Portnoy hinted on his website that one of the covers has already been released in one way or another. This information leads to an Iron Maiden tribute-album (called Maiden Heaven) that came as a free gift with an issue of Kerrang!-magazine in July 2008. Dream Theater recorded a cover of To Tame A Land for this album so I think we can assume that this song is one of the covers that will appear on the new album.

Tom

The Butterfly Man

Yes, I finally heard it! *horns*

What a killer chorus. Very catchy. The instrumental section sounds inspired, although it takes some time to get used to, especially the part right after the keyboard-solo with all these 'bleeps'.

But all in all very promising stuff! :)

Tom

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-05-06, 18:01:58
Yes, I finally heard it! *horns*

What a killer chorus. Very catchy. The instrumental section sounds inspired, although it takes some time to get used to, especially the part right after the keyboard-solo with all these 'bleeps'.

But all in all very promising stuff! :)

Tom

A solid +1 to that!!!  :D

What a track.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

maddox

A very nice video indeed.  8)

Aiming for MTV?  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Bupie

A reaction to the video on the French fan club forum :

"The lineup for the new Dream Theater album finally revealed :

Mike Portnoy : Lead Vocals, Drums, Producer, Songwriter, Sleeve Designer, Webmaster, Prog Nation Mastermind, Lyricist, Recovering Addict, P.R, A&R, Head of Marketing : DT division, C.E.O Yste Jam Records, Double Bass Drums, Octobans, Music Video Director, Live DVD/Blu-Ray Producer

John Petrucci : Lead and Rythm Guitars, Backing Vocals, Riff Writer, Lord of the Shred, Producer, Lyricist, Future Heavy Weight Ultimate Fighting Champion

James Labrie : Tambourine
Jordan Rudess : Scratch, electric ingeneer ( half-time job)

John Myung : WHO ???"

;D

PH

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2009-05-11, 11:01:51
A reaction to the video on the French fan club forum :

"The lineup for the new Dream Theater album finally revealed :

Mike Portnoy : Lead Vocals, Drums, Producer, Songwriter, Sleeve Designer, Webmaster, Prog Nation Mastermind, Lyricist, Recovering Addict, P.R, A&R, Head of Marketing : DT division, C.E.O Yste Jam Records, Double Bass Drums, Octobans, Music Video Director, Live DVD/Blu-Ray Producer

John Petrucci : Lead and Rythm Guitars, Backing Vocals, Riff Writer, Lord of the Shred, Producer, Lyricist, Future Heavy Weight Ultimate Fighting Champion

James Labrie : Tambourine
Jordan Rudess : Scratch, electric ingeneer ( half-time job)

John Myung : WHO ???"

;D

Ok I admit: I laughed! ;D

Tom

Bupie

The first cover is revealed : it will be Rainbow's Stargazer

I must confess I don't know (or don't remember) this song  :-[

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.fr/page/News?news_id=77455