News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Genesis - favorite album + track

Started by pedanticmongrel, Sat, 2008-12-06, 03:56:23

Previous topic - Next topic

pedanticmongrel

it would be such a tough choice, I'd have to say "Wind and Wuthering" for Album and "Supper's Ready" for track.
"When agony comes more from hope than failure"

h9

Without any doubt, i will choose Foxtrot and Selling England as my favorite genesis album. Foxtrot for supper's ready and Selling england for Firth of fifth . As a conclusion, i love all genesis album from Trespass till Wind and wuthering. But, i have no interest at all for the others.  :D

maddox

Well, my favourite Genesis album is The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.
My favourite track however...

That's a bit harder to choose.
Great songs like Fifth Of Firth, The Cinema Show, Supper's Ready, The Knife...

Difficult... :-\

*holds hand before eyes and drops his finger on the list:

The Cinema Show.  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Yep another one of those impossible questions

I would go for Supper's ready and Genesis 1970 - 1975 Disc 5 aka Foxtrot.

Can we gather from this that Genesis is your favourite band?

PH

Phew... difficult...

Genesis is one of my favourite bands, possibly the first one on the list for me.
For best album it would be...
- Selling England By The Pound
or
- A Trick Of The Tail

Best song...
- The Cinema Show

Still, this is sooo difficult...

Teunis

For the risk of being shot ...........

Home By The Sea part I and II  8).

And the album is called 'Genesis'  ;)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2008-12-06, 22:25:48
For the risk of being shot ...........

Home By The Sea part I and II  8).

Why? I think it's an excellent choice.  :)

Teunis

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2008-12-06, 22:26:24
Why? I think it's an excellent choice.  :)
Well, a lot of people are fan of the early stages and are disgusted by the Phil Collins albums/tracks.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Teunis, Home By The Sea Part I & II is an excellent choice!

But I think Genesis (the album) along with Invisible Touch (the album) is the two worst albums, with some excellent tracks on it. ;)

They should have made an album like this:

Mama
Home By The Sea
Second Home By The Sea
Tonight Tonight Tonight
Domino
The Brazilian

That would be really cool! 8)

-Paco

bellanova

My fave Genesis album is Foxtrot and fave track, Suppers ready. I dont like any of the Phil Collins stuff except Ripples from Trick of the Tail.
My bloke used to play and sing it to me so its a little bitter/sweet at the moment but still a lovely song. I dunno if anyone ever saw that video clip of John Mitchell on his boat and the music played was Ripples. Thats the first time i heard it properly a few years ago!

Nicky007

While I know every single song by Floyd well on the studio albums from Piper to Final Cut (not the film soundtracks tho), I'm not at all that strong with the Genesis songs.

So I can't say more than that I'm fond of all albums from Foxtrot to Duke, and then with the following albums my appreciation falls album by album. Calling All Stations hasnt gripped me at all, even tho I like Ray Wilson's singing in other mixes.

Incidentally, I'v been wondering for a long time why there's so much talk about Genesis in the Room and hardly any about Floyd. I mean, they're both in the same top league, and among the populace, Floyd is a bigger name.

Tell me, guys, why do you find Genesis more interesting than Floyd  ???

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-12-07, 22:38:40
While I know every single song by Floyd well on the studio albums from Piper to Final Cut (not the film tracks tho), I'm not at all that strong with the Genesis songs.

So I can't say more than that I'm fond of all albums from Foxtrot to Duke, and then with the following albums my appreciation falls album by album. Calling All Stations hasnt gripped me at all, even tho I like Ray Wilson's singing in other mixes.

Incidentally, I'v been wondering for a long time why there's so much talk about Genesis in the Room and hardly any about Floyd. I mean, they're both in the same top league, and among the populace, Floyd is a bigger name.

Tell me, guys, why do you find Genesis more interesting than Floyd  ???

Nicky.

I don't.

But I do appreciate both bands

PH

Nicky,
I think it's because of the keyboards.
David Gilmour is a very good guitarist! And Pink Floyd is mainly written from a guitar-point-of-view, while Genesis relies heavily on the keyboards.
Pink Floyd is more spheric and laid back, with spacey sounds, etc. Genesis is more symphonic and (I think) they make more use of the drums. Phil Collins was/is(?) an amazing drummer and in Genesis there were some pretty fast and amazing drum parts!

-Paco

Iggy

And Yes is Symphonic and Guitary.

*horns* *horns* *horns*

maddox

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2008-12-08, 18:39:07

*horns* *horns* *horns*

Which leads to the conclusion that Yes, there is a difference between Pink Floyd and Genesis.

Three dinosaurs in one sentence.  *horns* ;D

h9

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2008-12-08, 18:39:07

I agree with you Sobat, though i think Hackett's guitar also give significance touch for Genesis music. After there were three (worse or even worst moment for such a legendary prog band), they lost their magical stuff IMHO. While, PF was very excellent for the guitar they played. So, Mr. Gilmour can be described as the main person.
However, Yes is very complete. All of the member give fairly contribution. The battle of Guitar vs Keyboard is very terrific.

The Butterfly Man

If I'd say that I dislike Yes, would that be concidered off-topic? If so, I won't say that. ;D

However I do like Genesis (and Pink Floyd as well). Favourite tracks would be 'Afterglow' and 'Los Endos'. Please note there's a lot of Genesis-stuff that I don't know (yet) so if my favourites seem a bit strange, it's because of this big hole in my (Genesis) collection.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2008-12-09, 09:53:08
However I do like Genesis (and Pink Floyd as well). Favourite tracks would be 'Afterglow' and 'Los Endos'. Please note there's a lot of Genesis-stuff that I don't know (yet) so if my favourites seem a bit strange, it's because of this big hole in my (Genesis) collection.

Yes, that's very strange. Really very strange...
But those are great songs! ;D

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-12-09, 09:57:51
Yes, that's very strange. Really very strange...
But those are great songs! ;D

Oh, and I forgot to mention Land Of Confusion...

Tom

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2008-12-09, 10:02:32
Oh, and I forgot to mention Land Of Confusion...

Yeah, and now you've done it...
Go away!

;)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-12-09, 10:31:05
Yeah, and now you've done it...
Go away!

;)

I was just testing to see how far I could go... :D

PH

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2008-12-09, 09:53:08
If I'd say that I dislike Yes, would that be considered off-topic? If so, I won't say that. ;D

Then I won't say that you havent listened to some of their best stuff  ;D

Seriously now, give Going For The One, Tormato, Talk, The Ladder, and the studio tracks on Keys To Ascension a run, sometime, Tommy boy.

And for the love of God, get some of the wonderful Jon and Vangelis stuff (u2 Paxi) - just not their first studio album, Short Stories, which I find boring  ;) :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2008-12-08, 23:04:20
Which leads to the conclusion that Yes,

we have no bananas  :P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: h9 on Tue, 2008-12-09, 00:52:42
I agree with you Sob

;D

Hanin, you probably don't know that "sob" is an abbreviation of "son of a bitch." (Not that Iggy isnt one, but that's probably not what you mean here)  ;D :)

Hm, OK  :D   but I think that several of you guys are glossing over the great lyrics and vocal delivery of Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour, as well as the wonderful atmospherics of Rick Wright  *horns*  altho I'l admit that Nick Mason is not a striking drummer  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can