News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The "F1 and other Motor Racing" stuff type-thread

Started by gelert, Mon, 2008-04-21, 19:10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2008-04-28, 23:24:41
Btw, if you like flat, move to that Netherlands :P It's flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

It's even worse: it's below flat.  :-\ ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

gelert

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-04-29, 00:03:50
And we have flats.

So did DC last weekend - he pitted for new boots though.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

gelert

PHEW....!

WHAT A WEEKEND....!

A1GP: Switzerland won the Championship (Neil Jani), but this is SO ironic! Switzerland have banned Motor Sports since the 1960's / 1970's / whatever, except for 2-wheeler stuff (allegedly) – 2-wheels = Skiing - maybe? Clockwork – perhaps? Triangular Chocolate and Cuckoo Clocks – who knows? Great drive by Narain Karthikeyan, but only proving that he is too good for "F1 Feeder" Series, and not good enough for F1 per se. FANTASTIC drive by Adam Carroll – NEVER GIVE UP! And Robbie Kerr didn't give-up either - I won't blame the team – tiot happens....!

DTM: CRAP sound from MotorsTV - that a load of us complained about on their Forum – and they replied by saying that it was down to "Storms in the UK"! What! For 12+ Hours! LMAO. Wankers! Whatever, not a great race, mainly as the new Pit-Stop Rules have taken all of the strategy out of the equation – I'm NOT inspired, and unless something changes very soon, I'm gonna wash my hands of this formula. For sure, I miss Mika, and HHF, and Alessi...BUT, according to the PR, Half-A-Schumacher has taken-up their mantle! – DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH....!

BTCC: DONNINGTON – Kramer Curves – Damp Track....what's NOT to like already? Fabrizio Giovanardi proved once again what a complete star he is, whilst his team-mates Tom & Matt also did well. Mike Jordan provided some excellent commentary from his car during the race, and was his usual "Top Bloke" self.

SUPPORT RACES @ Donnington: Josh Hill in the Ginetta Junior Championship was a true revelation, in spite of this only being his 4th race meeting! The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree! Tim Harvey in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB tried his best to spice things up on a track that is notorious for being difficult to pass on – unless your surname is da Silva (or Harvey for that matter! LOL), it's coming down stair-rods, and it's 1993!

Looking forward to Istambul next weekend – shame about Super Aguri though – the TRUE spirit of racing has been dealt a blow by their withdrawal from this season's championship. Couldn't the FIA use some of McLaren's £50 million to help them out? Oh no – sorry – Max is using that to pay his lawyers!
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

gelert

Another race meeting - it must be the weekend...  ;D

F1 @ Istanbul / Istambul Ottodrome (AKA Turkey).

With the very recent demise of Super Aguri, the qually rules have been changed: (source http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67216)

FIA confirms qualifying changes

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, May 8th 2008, 14:59 GMT

The FIA has confirmed that five cars will be excluded from the first two sessions of qualifying in the wake of Super Aguri's withdrawal from Formula One.

The sporting regulations for 2008 were origonally written based around an entry of 24 cars, where seven cars were to be excluded from Q1 and Q2 to leave 10 cars in the final session.

Although there was a proviso written should the entry drop to 22 cars, with six cars being dropped from each session, there was nothing official for a scenario where there were only 20 cars.

But following discussions by the race stewards at the Turkish Grand Prix, it was decided that five cars will be excluded from the first two qualifying sessions.

A statement issued by the FIA on Thursday evening said: "The Stewards, having received a report from the Technical Delegate note that 20 cars will participate in the 2008 Turkish Grand Prix.

"Therefore under article 33.1 of the 2008 Sporting Regulations, the Stewards have decided that only five cars will be excluded after Q1 and Q2 of the Qualifying Practice."

Although fewer cars are to be excluded in the first session, the absence of Super Aguri will actually make it harder for those teams who have to work hard to make it through to Q2.

The pace of Super Aguri so far this season effectively meant the rest of the grid were fighting over four slots in Q1, whereas now there will be an extra risk of not making it through to second qualifying.

The Butterfly Man

Looking forward to the weekend! McLaren seem to be closer to Ferrari than they were in Barcelona so let's hope they can beat 'em tomorrow and on Sunday!

The demise Of Super Aguri is a bit sad though, although I think if this wouldn't have happened now, it would be next year when every team must design their own car. But still I can't help to feel a little sad... :-\ I think the FIA could have easily helped SA to at least get through this year. That would've given them the time to (at least try to) sort out their financial situation. After all, a fuller grid is better for everyone involved in F1...I remember from a couple of years ago the FIA paid Ferrari $100 million dollars to stay in F1. I think SA could've been saved with a fraction of that amount. But oh well, it's no secret the 'F' in FIA stands for Ferrari...

Hope McLaren beats the crap out of them this weekend!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2008-05-09, 17:04:28
Hope McLaren beats the crap out of them this weekend!

Hey, watch your language, Sonny !

Consider us elderly gentlemen !

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-05-09, 17:10:36
Hey, watch your language, Sonny !

Consider us elderly gentlemen !

;D

Nicky.

Haha look who's talking! ;)

PH

Iggy

Anyone watch the grand prix Mr Hamilton drove a superb race and won by over a minute.

;D

gelert

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-07-06, 18:18:13
Anyone watch the grand prix Mr Hamilton drove a superb race and won by over a minute.

;D

No. I've given-up watching F1 - and ALL forms of motor racing, as it's very silly and definitely not prog-like. Besides which, Nicky doesn't like it....  *horns*

Nicky007

And you want me to believe this, Gelly ?  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

gelert

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-07-06, 19:20:27
And you want me to believe this, Gelly ?  ;D

Nicky.

It was worth a punt, eh N...?  :D

Classic race weekend. GP2 Feature race & F1 Qually in the dry saw some bizarre results - Webbo qualifying in P2 for example. Fair play to him.

And GP2 Sprint plus F1 Race in the wet - FANTASTIC race by Senna in the GP2, worthy of his uncle's name.

I've yet to watch the Porsche Supercup from this morning (got it recorded for later), but that was apparently a spin-fest also.

However....Lewis in the F1 was Bl**dy mesmerising - and extremely nerve-wracking - 1 minute and 8 seconds ahead of his nearest rival at the tablecloth, whilst Ferrari et al spun themselves dizzy, and I was convinced that LH wasn't going to stay on-track. But the bloke dun the biz...top bananas.

GREAT to see Rubens get his podium - I've missed seeing his little dance with the champagne...and Ross can still cut-it as Master Strategist...

Three-way tie at the top now - and at the half-season point - so it all starts again from scratch if you like. But McLaren in the dry made Ferrari look a bit average - and in the wet made them look positively amateur...which is a shame - NOT...hehehe...  ;D

The only problem was that after listening to Simon Says all week, there is no Kleenex left in the house...so it's all a bit messy chez moi just now...

bluepony

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2008-04-23, 21:07:24
That's very good to know! So when I decide to go to the German GP again (when it's being held at Hockenheim) I don't have to worry about where to stay! Great!  ;)

Tom
So, Tom - have you made up your mind? The German Grand Prix is coming up... next weekend - Hockenheim - will you be there?!

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2008-04-28, 23:24:41
Btw, if you like flat, move to that Netherlands :P It's flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!
Yep, I know - I've been there, you know. It should be a good country for car races, but unfortunately most of your Dutch roads are not quite wide enough to go more than 180 km/h...  ;)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: bluepony on Sun, 2008-07-13, 17:55:04
So, Tom - have you made up your mind? The German Grand Prix is coming up... next weekend - Hockenheim - will you be there?!

I'm already going to the Italian Grand Prix in September and visiting 2 Grand Prix' a year is a bit expensive...

But I went to Hockenheim last thursday to see some testing action! It was great. The weather was good as well. As a bonus Fisichella crashed his car right in front of me. How kind of him... ;)

Tom

maddox

Quote from: bluepony on Sun, 2008-07-13, 17:55:04

Yep, I know - I've been there, you know. It should be a good country for car races, but unfortunately most of your Dutch roads are not quite wide enough to go more than 180 km/h...  ;)

Not entirely true i'd say.

There has been occasions when some people with rather fast cars drove a little bit faster than that. The only problem is: In the Netherlands you aren't alowed to drive faster then 120 km.  ;)

bluepony

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2008-07-13, 19:48:20
I'm already going to the Italian Grand Prix in September and visiting 2 Grand Prix' a year is a bit expensive...
Well, that's right... but you could go to my friend's sisters house - she lives quite close to the circuit. No need of a TV set, she can hear every little thing that's going on on the race track! (And you wouldn't hear the TV anyway... ;D )

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2008-07-13, 19:48:20
But I went to Hockenheim last thursday to see some testing action! It was great. The weather was good as well. As a bonus Fisichella crashed his car right in front of me. How kind of him... ;)

Tom
Wait a minute - you're telling me you were in Germany, near where I live, and you didn't pay a visit?! Wow, you must be really afraid of me!  ;)

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2008-07-13, 20:58:00
Not entirely true i'd say.

There has been occasions when some people with rather fast cars drove a little bit faster than that. The only problem is: In the Netherlands you aren't alowed to drive faster then 120 km.  ;)
Ahem. I wasn't talking about what's allowed - and I wasn't talking about motorways either!

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: bluepony on Wed, 2008-07-16, 21:37:36
Well, that's right... but you could go to my friend's sisters house - she lives quite close to the circuit. No need of a TV set, she can hear every little thing that's going on on the race track! (And you wouldn't hear the TV anyway... ;D )

That's great, but I would be quite sad actually if I'm só close to the action, but not being able to see it live in front of my eyes...;)

QuoteWait a minute - you're telling me you were in Germany, near where I live, and you didn't pay a visit?! Wow, you must be really afraid of me!  ;)

Well I only decided last tuesday that I would go to Hockenheim on thursday, so that left me with almost no time to get in touch with you and arrange some sort of a 'meeting'. But I would love to next time!

See, I'm really not afraid of you! :D

Tom

maddox

So I just visited this topic just to get it off the Show-unread-posts-since-last-visit thingy.

It's gone now.

Bye.  ;D

gelert

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-07-18, 21:15:35
So I just visited this topic just to get it off the Show-unread-posts-since-last-visit thingy.

It's gone now.

Bye.  ;D
And now it's back...  ;D

Kimi's having another off-weekend then - what's with 6th eh..?

Go Mac...  *horns*

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: gelert on Sat, 2008-07-19, 23:45:27
Kimi's having another off-weekend then - what's with 6th eh..?

Go Mac...  *horns*

Yay, Lewis did it again! :) Great race - with a lot of luck, but still - from Piquet. Ferrari seem to fall behind now, but let's not get too excited just yet... ;)

By the way, did anyone happen to watch the MotoGP race? What a great fight between Rossi and Stoner!

Tom

gelert

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2008-07-21, 10:25:06
By the way, did anyone happen to watch the MotoGP race? What a great fight between Rossi and Stoner!

To paraphrase George Orwell - "4 wheels good - 2 wheels bad"...  ;D

Sorry Tom - I can't get my head around bike racing. Sure, it's exciting to watch. But as my bike riding skills are limited to pulling unintended wheelies when I set off, I gave-up trying to ride the damn things. So respect to those that can. But because of that, I feel no affinity with what I'm watching on the track.

Cars however are a different matter. I've done track days, advanced driving courses, police advanced driving courses, and some rallying. Therefore I do feel an affinity with what is happening on the track where car set-up / tyres / track layout / track conditions / weather conditions / driver all play their parts.

Lewis was in another league yesterday. He'd done the dream: car-and-driver as one. The fact that his team-mate in the same equipment wasn't even close, speaks volumes.
But Heikki is suffering from what ailed Lewis at Silverstone last year, namely inexperience in how to set-up the car to his style for the race - Sure, Heikki was quick over short runs and single laps all of this weekend; but in the long runs, he didn't have the car where it needed to be. Heikki will hopefully be with McLaren next season...by which stage he'll have that 2008 experience, and therefore he'll move up quite a notch IMHO.

Ferrari have dropped-the-ball somewhere along the way. They're actually going backwards in terms of development - witness Massa's inability to even attack the Renault, let alone pass it. Kimi woke-up in the last few laps - but that was more likely that his car came back to him. No, Ferrari either need to revert to their pre-Silverstone direction, or find and correct the reason for their current direction's failings - and fast...! But don't count them out. We're on the Back 9, and still plenty of bunkers and water features for Lewis and Mac to find yet. And Ferrari tracks are coming-up.

GP2 was good this weekend. Romain Grosjean is rapidly disappearing down the plug-hole in my estimation - too many unforced errors...and the worst of all was him making excuses for passing a back-marker under a Yellow Flag. There is NO excuse for contravening safety. Bruno Senna is a star-in-the-ascendant, but perhaps a little early in his experience for F1. I can see Karun Chandok at Kingfisher Force One India next season, because Fishyfella is having a mare in this season, and Vijay Mallya is a shrewd businessman who will know that an Indian driver will get his team some serious subcontinent sponsorship money - I can't see Narain Karthikeyan being given another shot at F1. Although Pantano might get another shot at F1 if he wins the GP2 title - Renault perhaps, if Nelsinho doesn't produce consistent results, this weekend aside.

Right, that's it. Time to do some PLC programing.

Laters.

bluepony

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2008-07-17, 11:39:03
Well I only decided last tuesday that I would go to Hockenheim on thursday, so that left me with almost no time to get in touch with you and arrange some sort of a 'meeting'. But I would love to next time!

See, I'm really not afraid of you! :D

Tom
Well, just drop me a PM or an e-mail next time you're here for a visit - even on short notice - then I'll buy you a beer!  :)

Nicky007

So, guys, prepare for the wedding !!!  (the beer is the female version of the stamp collection)

We'll all come, all 601 of us, won't we ?  :D :D :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

I'm gone for a couple of days... Tsk tsk tsk... >:(

:D
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace