News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Tim Burness

Started by CompanyCroydon, Mon, 2007-12-31, 11:03:02

Previous topic - Next topic

CompanyCroydon

CompanyCroydon

Reaction to "Vision On"
April 23, 2008 by timburness
Theo and myself are in the middle of updating my main site (www.timburness.com) at the moment and I'm putting up links to a selection of the album reviews we've had over the last few months. I think it would be fair to say that the consensus is that "Vision On" is a good but maybe not exceptionally good album. Unfortunately in this day and age of massive competition in an over-saturated market, this is not really good enough! But I can only do my best and as always, a few people at least have genuinely "got" the whole thing of what I'm on about. THANK YOU again to those of you have listened or promoted my music in any way whatsoever, it really is appreciated on a deep level.

As usual there are a number of reviewers who don't like my vocals. I've noticed that this seems to be a relatively common view among many "progressive rock" reviewers, whereas listeners from a broader or poppier background tend not to have a problem with my singing. In fact many people (particularly in connection with the last few albums) have told me they really like my singing. My voice will never be particularly powerful and I guess this will always put some people off my music. Should I take some of the reviewers advice and get in another singer in future? Easier said than done. We shall see. I'm likely to take a different musical direction next time round anyway, vocals may not even feature.

Many people familar with my music in the long-term say that "Vision On" is the best whole album I've made and I tend to agree with this. However, I know I can do a lot better. Time and money tend to be big limitations and given how my life has gone since soon after releasing the album, I'm just glad I managed to get something out there while I still had the chance.

Not many people are buying it. As probably everyone reading this knows, not that many people are buying CDs by anyone these days. So there are now several free tracks available from my site, with an option to buy. Ideally I would love to be making some money back from my music, but the most important thing to me has always been BEING HEARD