News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Opeth - Watershed

Started by The Butterfly Man, Tue, 2008-02-05, 17:39:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2008-06-18, 16:32:20
After listening to the album for a couple of weeks now, I think it's safe to say that it's among their best albums (which are Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries in my view).

I definitely agree with that, Tom. Now the big question is whether it's better than GR  :-\

I'm catching more and more of Martin Axenrot's drumming. I'm really swept away by it. The guy's in a league of his own - well, maybe in league with Mike Portnoy; they have similar styles and both are superb. I'v added MA to my list of fave drummers.

Well, I'm not so sure about that...I know, its cool and original the first couple of times you hear it, but it grows old really fast. Now I mostly skip this part and that's a shame, because Burden in itself is such a great track. Great singing and an awesome guitarsolo!

Tom, maybe I don't need to tell you, but you don't need to skip all of Burden; you can just press skip when you get to the screwy part.

Well he's not really that new anymore...he's been a touring member for several years but became a fulltime member before Ghost Reveries.

Yeah, you're right, Tom. One just doesn't notice him that much on GR. He's more present on Watershed.

Hopefully they'l all stick together now. Then we can expect more great music from this great band  *horns*

However, there is a thing that disturbs me (from Wikipedia - Watershed):  "The song Hessian Peel contains a backwards recorded verse - 'My sweet Satan, I see you' can be heard. This might be a reference to a well-known example of backmasking featured in Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, which purportedly contained the phrase 'Here's to my sweet satan'."

Now, why do they have to do something like that ?  It seems outright dumb. They ought to know that there are many Christians who enjoy their music. Here in the Room we had a discussion a year ago on whether there were any snags in Opeth re Christian sensibilities, and at least Keith and I agreed that we could not find any. Now I actually hear that passage in Hessian Peel, and it disturbs me. What do you guys make of it ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-06-18, 23:01:59
However, there is a thing that disturbs me (from Wikipedia - Watershed):  "The song Hessian Peel contains a backwards recorded verse - 'My sweet Satan, I see you' can be heard. This might be a reference to a well-known example of backmasking featured in Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, which purportedly contained the phrase 'Here's to my sweet satan'."

Now, why do they have to do something like that ?  It seems outright dumb. They ought to know that there are many Christians who enjoy their music. Here in the Room we had a discussion a year ago on whether there were any snags in Opeth re Christian sensibilities, and at least Keith and I agreed that we could not find any. Now I actually hear that passage in Hessian Peel, and it disturbs me. What do you guys make of it ?

I read this before but I have to say I really don't mind...

In my view it's just something that is backwards recorded, nothing more, nothing less.

You really cannot hear what is said (or you have to reverse it with some audio-edit program) and it lasts only a couple of seconds. Besides, you probably didn't know it was there until you read it on Wiki. So from now on no more Wiki for you! :D

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Tom, there aint much of a Crusader in you !

;D

But honestly, as a Christian, this playing around with satanism does bother me, even if it's just meant as a joke or tribute. And of course Mikael & Co. know that they're provoking good citizens, also some of their biggest fans, with such stuff. So why ?  Honestly, I don't get it. I liked Mikael's pagan poetry a lot till now, but henceforth I'l be reserved, and that's a pity  :'(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

kmorse

"Backward masking" in the traditional sense never bothered me. I always thought it was a lot of fuss over nothing. I suspect Mikael did this as a bit of a joke. I'm sorry that he did it at all but I don't think he meant it as anything else. Had the words been recorded forward, I would have a different attitude altogether.

I really like that selection on the album, aside from that annoyance.

Oh, and I found a way to get the bonus tracks off the DVD and on to my hard drive. I then burned a CD with all the Watershed songs on it.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Nicky007

Yeah, Keith, maybe I can take it a bit more lightly too. But you agree that it was dumb of Mikael.

I mean, here he got a bunch of Christians diggin his dark pagan music, and then he plays this dirty trick on us  :'( or ;D  ???

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

johninblack

Well, I bloody well love it, satanistic references or not *horns*

Appelmoes??

I bought it, but still haven't listened to it :o
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Steve Jones

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sun, 2008-07-13, 14:12:59

Be careful when you do.  My mate Spud reckoned if he played it sideways he could hear Sir Cliff Richard exhorting him to knit scarves for the church jumble sale.  We're really worried about him, he' s not been to black mass for nearly three weeks now.  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Nicky007

Appy, the side (a disc has two sides) with the stuff written on it should turn upward - of course supposing that your player is turned the normal way around. Then there's some sorta buttony thingy that's gotta be pressed - it doesnt help waiting for it to start by itself. And there must be a glass of beer standing next to it. If you need an explanation as to what to do with the beer, drop me a note and I'l return  8)

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

johninblack

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-07-13, 16:04:19
If you need an explanation as to what to do with the beer

Sorry, you think anyone needs to know what to do with beer ;D ;D ;D

maddox

I bought it, listened to it twice, then it got lost by a little girl, and then my wife found it again in a DVD case of Bob The Builder.  ::)  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

kmorse

Bob the Buiilder Rocks!
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

maddox

Quote from: kmorse on Sun, 2008-07-13, 20:54:49
Bob the Buiilder Rocks!

It indeed does but that wasn't the issue here.  ;D

PH

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

Deenfan

You rockers are all bonkers...

PH

maddox

And Wendy builds a rocky Bob.  :P

PH

Nicky007

You guys could write a Ulysses II. Just associate further to some masturbation ....

OK, so what happened to Opeth ?  Got put away in some box ?   ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-07-14, 22:21:58
You guys could write a Ulysses II. Just associate further to some masturbation ....

OK, so what happened to Opeth ?  Got put away in some box ?   ;D

Nicky.

Yep, the wrong box. Posted to the wrong address so to speak.  ::)

But it's resurfaced again a few days later. But I still have only listened to the album twice.

Steve Jones

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2008-07-14, 23:03:21
But it's resurfaced again a few days later.

Bobbed to the surface, in fact.  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones