News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Opeth - Watershed

Started by The Butterfly Man, Tue, 2008-02-05, 17:39:14

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

Hi guys, I just found this on Opeth's website:

"Watershed" is the name of Opeth´s 9th studio observation. The album has just been mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren with M. Åkerfeldt. The album consist of 7 songs and the titles are as follows:

1. Coil
2. Heir Apparent
3. The Lotus Eater
4. Burden
5. Porcelain Heart
6. Hessian Peel
7 Hex Omega

All the songs have been written by M. Åkerfeldt apart from "Porcelain Heart" which was co-written with Fredrik Åkesson. One additonal track, "Derelict Herds" has also been recorded and this was written by Mikael Åkerfeldt and Per Wiberg. On top of this, 3 cover songs has been recorded. "Bridge of sighs" from Robin Trower´s 1974 Lp with the same title, "Den ständiga resan" (sung in Swedish) by Marie Fredriksson as well as the classic Alice in Chains song, "Would?".

The album was recorded at Fascination street studios during November 1 and December 13. Some addtional recordings were done between January 3rd and 7th. Produced by Jens Bogren and Mikael Åkerfeldt and Opeth.

Says Mikael Åkerfeldt: "I´ve worked so hard with these songs for quite some time now, I´ve listened to 'em a zillion times. I don't hate them just yet! The album sounds great sonically and I think I can hear us evolving as the record plays on. It is taking us somewhere musically and I don't know where. It's very exciting to say the least! I can't remember having enjoyed a recording this much ever before."

The cover was (as usual) designed by Travis Smith in co-operation with Åkerfeldt. Release date is yet to be confirmed but Roadrunner worldwide will have it out sometime in the Springtime of this year.

I'm really excited about this.*horns* But for now.........there's nothing left for us than just wait...

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Nicky007

Thanks Tom. I'm excited too  *horns*

Their Ghost Reveries was a true masterpiece, so I'm curious to hear what they have to offer now.

And whenever Travis Smith is involved, we can be sure that it's somethin great.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Great news indeed!  *horns*

I've read that most of the songs, if not all of them are 10 minutes+ songs. I like it already.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

I think I just became even more excited after reading this post from some guy on Mike Portnoy's forum! He quoted a message from http://runningthevoodoodown.blogspot.com/2008/02/new-opeth-album-update.html :o

The new Opeth album just landed in my lap. I can't wait to play it again - listening to it through recording-studio speakers in Sweden, it struck me as awe-inspiring and exactly the kind of paradigm-shifting move they need to make at this point in their career, and I'm curious whether that impression will linger on hearing it through iPod headphones. It's simultaneously their most prog and their least metal album to date, but it's guaranteed to make the faithful fill their jeans with huge, milky loads of Åkerfeldt-love. The sonic palette's really broad - acoustic guitars, female vocals on the first track, church organ, oboe, Mellotron, etc., etc., plus some of the heaviest riffs Opeth's ever played. The second track, "Heir Apparent," starts off with a riff straight from Dio-era Sabbath before going through about six other moods in its just-under-nine-minute running time, including possibly Opeth's single fastest, thrashiest break ever. Plus, it justifies its title by featuring solo spots for both new-ish drummer Martin Axenrot and very new guitarist Fredrik Åkesson. In a way, Axenrot's drum break about two and a half minutes into this track - and, indeed, his playing throughout - is just a giant "fuck you" to anyone who might bitch about Martin Lopez's absence.

Tom

maddox

That makes me even more  *horns* *horns* *horns*:D

PH

I must admit that I'm curious to this release.
Especially the "less metal, more prog" thing.
Still I'm a bit reluctant to Opeth... But you already knew that! ;D

-Paco

marcello

It's taken me quite a long time to get into Opeth, but since hearing their collaborative stuff with Steven Wilson, I'm getting to like them much more.
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

kmorse

I read that Opeth also has recorded a cover of Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs." Not sure if it will turn up on a "Special Edition" CD or not. Also coming is a 5.1 remix of "Still Life." I'm in the process of finally installing a surround-sound system in my house and I'd be curious to hear Opeth in surround sound.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

The Butterfly Man

Guys.....

You can listen to 2 tracks from Opeth's forthcoming album Watershed........and it's 100% legal! ;D

The first one is a song called The Lotus Eater, which is audio only. You can download it here:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/Music/

The second song is called Porcelain Heart. It is the first single off the album and you can find the video here:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/video/

Be prepared to be amazed! :o

Tom *horns*

PH

I've watched the video.

And now I wonder what this is about...

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-04-23, 20:54:05
I've watched the video.

And now I wonder what this is about...

Don't ask me why but I simply knew you were gonna say that.....

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2008-04-23, 21:08:29
Don't ask me why but I simply knew you were gonna say that.....

Ok, rather then me telling you, let's do it the other way round.

Why do you think that I would say that? ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2008-04-23, 20:41:36
Be prepared to be amazed! :o

Yeah, awesome  *horns*

It's beyond me too, but both music and video are terrific.

The new drummer Martin Axenrot is simply unbelievable.

And Per Wiberg on keyboards adds a lot of delicious spice despite the music being so heavy.

Looks like Opeth have now decided to take the lead.

Thanks, Tom  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Less than a week to go, now.   8)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2008-05-28, 18:38:42
Less than a week to go, now.   8)

Hehe, some are actually a week 'overdue'.  ;D

If you know what i mean.  ;)

The Butterfly Man

Yeah I can't wait to get the new album in my hands, I'm really looking forward to it! It's getting closer........and all we can do is wait.

Tom

funkster

Excellent album and number 34 in the UK album charts  *horns*

Appelmoes??

*puts on "to get" list...
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Butterfly Man

I bought this album a week ago and since then no single day has passed without listening to the album from start to finish at least one time. I'm loving it to bits. I don't really have a favourite track, I simply like the most of them....Only Porcelain Heart doesn't do that much for me yet.

A tip for the (symphonic) prog-lovers in the room (are there any at all? ;)): Listen to the last section of Heir Apparent, it's so brilliant! :o

I think this is (after Damnation, obviously) the album to get for those of you who love Mikael's singing but hate his growling. Sure, the growls are one of the key ingredients that make Opeth the awesome band that it is today, and they are present on this album, sounding more ferocious than ever! However...... only 3 songs out of 7 feature them. In one of those songs (Hessian Peel) the growls don't make their way into the song until past the half way mark (which lies around the 6 minutes or so).

That's it for now, I have work to do! ;D

I'm looking forward to reading more opinions on the album.

Tom

funkster

Loving the album , in fact playing it now , but where is the lyric sheet ???

kmorse

http://www.darklyrics.com/o/opeth.html

Read them.

If you dare!

A lot of them just sound like "Grwwwll ... Grwwwwwl ... Roaaarrrr!" though ;D

kmorse

Does anyone know how to get the three "bonus tracks" off of the DVD? I put all my music files on portable hard drives. The FAQs with the disk say it is possible to do, but Windows Media Player doesn't know what to do with this DVD.

Nicky007

After the first few spins, one of the things I'v enjoyed most is the guitar duel on Burden (track 4). Well OK, the whole song is real nice, but what really gripped me is the duel at the end. Since it switches between right and left speaker, I'm guessin that it's a duel between Mikael and the new guitarist, Fredrik Åkesson, two remarkable guitarists.

The wacky screwin down/up at the far end of Burden is great too.

I consider that the new keyboardist Per Wiberg adds a lot of fine atmosphere to the album.

Martin Axenrot on drums is topnotch too.

Hey guys, how about sharin some experiences in this thread ?  It's not every day that a fabulous album like Watershed is released.

Grrrrowl  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-06-18, 15:13:22
Hey guys, how about sharin some experiences in this thread ?

As you can read a couple of post above, I agree! So come on guys, share your experiences!

The wacky screwin down/up at the far end of Burden is great too.

Well, I'm not so sure about that...I know, its cool and original the first couple of times you hear it, but it grows old really fast. Now I mostly skip this part and that's a shame, because Burden in itself is such a great track. Great singing and an awesome guitarsolo!

I consider that the new keyboardist Per Wiberg adds a lot of fine atmosphere to the album.

Well he's not really that new anymore...he's been a touring member for several years but became a fulltime member before Ghost Reveries. But you're right, he adds a lot of atmosphere throughout the album.

After listening to the album for a couple of weeks now, I think it's safe to say that it's among their best albums (which are Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries in my view).

Tom