News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Crying for help

Started by Mark Jan, Tue, 2005-02-01, 19:19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Jan

This one is for Clive or Mick, if he finds his way to this forum.  ;)

I was wondering what the eight Crying for help-parts on Songs from the lions cage and Pride could mean. Is there a clear link between the Crying for help-parts and the other songs on both albums? Does their presence make both albums concept-albums? And, finally, is there a clear link between Songs from the lions cage and Pride, so that you can speak of one whole, almost a double-album? (despite Arena changed vocalist and bassplayer)

I hope you can give me some information. Thanks!  ;D

Appelmoes??

The following text you can find on the Arena webpage:

QuoteINTRODUCTION
For those of you who are familiar with the "Crying For Help" pieces they should need no introduction. For those of you listening to Arena for the first time, read on..... back together again with the original titles, as well as using this chance to expand.....

The "Crying For Help" tracks were originally intended to be one piece of music. The plan was to write a 'Theme and Variations' which were integral to themselves, both musically and conceptually. At a later point, it was decided to use separate parts of this composition to act as musical interludes between larger and more intense songs on their two first albums, "Songs From The Lions Cage" and "Pride".

With this mini album the band have taken the opportunity to put the tracks back together again, whilst using this chance to expand, change and create fresh material. "The Cry" also features a song called "The Healer" written to be the final part of the "Crying For Help" series.

It is hoped that "The Cry" will provide yet further insight into the many musical and lyrical facets of Arena.

Hope this answers part of your question. I'm also wondering if The lionscage and Pride are (part of the Cry for Help songs) linked.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Clive

Songs and Pride were intended to be linked in some ways.... that's why the Crying for Helps were spread across the two albums. As with all Arena albums, there was a theme to each. The two albums represented a kind of 'rise and fall'... Songs was about returning from the wilderness, greater than before.... Pride dealt with ideas of betrayal and deception. I guess the Cyring for Helps threaded a sence of vulnerability throughout the whole....

Well... that was a little 'dry'..... :)

Mark Jan

I've seen that text on the Arenasite. It gives some information about what Arena wanted with Crying for help, but not very clear what they mean on Songs from the lions cage and Pride. But Clive gave me a clear answer!  ;D

But thanks Appelmoes!  ;D

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sun, 2005-02-13, 23:50:34
The following text you can find on the Arena webpage:

Hope this answers part of your question. I'm also wondering if The lionscage and Pride are (part of the Cry for Help songs) linked.

Mark Jan

Thanks for your information Clive!  ;D From now I can understand both albums better. And that can make them both even better!  8)

I hope I see you soon on stage in the Netherlands. Groningen would be a nice place  ;) But anywhere else would also be fine!  ;D

Quote from: Clive on Mon, 2005-02-14, 08:55:22
Songs and Pride were intended to be linked in some ways.... that's why the Crying for Helps were spread across the two albums. As with all Arena albums, there was a theme to each. The two albums represented a kind of 'rise and fall'... Songs was about returning from the wilderness, greater than before.... Pride dealt with ideas of betrayal and deception. I guess the Cyring for Helps threaded a sence of vulnerability throughout the whole....

Well... that was a little 'dry'..... :)