News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Bjorn Lynne

Started by PH, Mon, 2007-06-11, 21:49:38

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

I just wanted you all to listen to this nice music.
It's not progressive rock per se, but he's VERY good in making amospheric instrumental albums!!

His influences are (according to himself):
- Mike Oldfield
- Tangerine Dream
- The Flower Kings
- Ozric Tentacles
- Porcupine Tree
- Paul Oakenfold
- Sven Vath
- Andy Pickford
- Jean-Michel Jarre
- Vangelis
- Kitaro
- Thievery Corporation
- Steve Hackett
- Marillion
- Brian Eno
- Genesis
- Dream Theater
- Yes
- Kit Watkins
- Ian Boddy
- Rush
- The Dead Texan
- Nodens Ictus
- Christopher Franke
- Thomas Newman
- Electric Light Orchestra
- Chick Corea
- Mike Stern
- David Arkenstone
- Melwyn Goodall
- Pat Metheny
- Prince
- OSI
- Symphony X
- Eloy
- Echolyn
- Randy Newman
- Clive Nolan
- Pendragon
- Alfy Betz
- Ayreon
- Enya
- Rob Hubbard
- Tim Follin

That's an impressive influences-list if you'd ask me. Some are very obvious, but he manages to make it his own.
He's a progger making interesting music, some keyboard solos are soooo much Nolan inspired, very dark in some places.
I think he's brilliant, but he made maybe too much albums and could have made 3 (or so) albums that would have made the progressive world left stunned.

He was also the composer for computer game music. (Worms, Lemmings)

He has a very broad musical style. Sometimes very symphonic, sometimes electronic. A bit Folky at times.

Listen to some songs on his myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/bjornlynne

They're not even the best songs! :D

You can download (almost all of) his songs as full mp3 with VERY low bitrate (40 kbps) at his official website: lynnemusic.com

Very moody music, very atmospheric.

Nicky007

It's strange, he mentions Clive Nolan and Pendragon, but not Arena. Actually, Starfield sounds rather Arenaish in their quieter moments.

Nice for a drive in this fantastic sunny weather.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

I agree with some of his influences. Like Pat Metheny, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Kitaro and Steve Hackett to name a bit. Can't really find stuff like DT, PT or The Flower Kings in it but maybe that's because i don't know all his works.

Oh,,,....like the songs on MySpace by the way.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

cabo

Bjorn actually started making music on CBM-64 and Amiga... those were the days ;)

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-06-12, 01:50:18
It's strange, he mentions Clive Nolan and Pendragon, but not Arena. Actually, Starfield sounds rather Arenaish in their quieter moments.

Nice for a drive in this fantastic sunny weather.

Nicky.

Those keyboardsolos are very much Arena-ish.

I ordered two albums from him, I hope they'll arrive soon...
And maybe I'll buy some more albums! ;D
He's doing good work.

Sometimes I can really hear the Porcupine Tree infuences! Dream Theater... Hmm... to much lesser extend and the Flower Kings? :D No, I didn't hear it either.
(fortunately...)

PH

Was just listening to one of his albums again and I really like it.
I want to bump this topic and give you all the opportunity to listen again to this amazing artist!

http://www.lynnemusic.com/mp3.html

There you can download free full mp3s of 16 tracks! (One of which is 60 minutes long!)
I should add that his songs are very varied and styles and genres are diverse. So you might not like all of it (some are pure trance songs).

His compositions are dynamic, exciting and uplifting, with memorable melodies. He has got superb reviews in the underground rock and progressive rock magazines and fanzines - all of whom have compared his work with that of Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Hawkwind, Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, Genesis, Marillion, The Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree, Ayreon, Anglagard, and many others.

-Paco

maddox

60 minutes?

Hehe... *horns*

*rushes to lynne's site.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2007-11-02, 20:01:52
60 minutes?

Hehe... *horns*

*rushes to lynne's site.

Well done my son, soon... soon you will know...

maddox

Funny thing is, that this song (Relaxing Mountain) is somewhat similar to Jean Michelle Jare's Waiting For Coustau. Both quite long (Waiting... clocks 45 minutes) and very relaxing with nature tunes in it.

I think my life will definitely like it.  ;D

PH

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2007-11-02, 20:58:55
Funny thing is, that this song (Relaxing Mountain) is somewhat similar to Jean Michelle Jare's Waiting For Coustau. Both quite long (Waiting... clocks 45 minutes) and very relaxing with nature tunes in it.

I think my life will definitely like it.  ;D

Yeah, I know both songs and I do like both of them.
It's not something I'm likely to put on when I have a choice between many albums, but when it's on I do enjoy it. Especially when doing other things since it doesn't require my full attention. Nice background music. Musical wallpaper if you will.

-Paco