News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Favourite album

Started by Dude, Sun, 2005-02-13, 13:41:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

What's your favourite Arena-album and why?

Mine is The Visitor. The strong melodies and very different moods, combined with a continuing storyline and beautiful artwork make this album a real classic.

Peter

You mean, like if I were to pick one for the deserted island? I'd prolly choose the Live&Life double album, it has the most music :)

But really, I'm undecided between 'Contagion' and 'Immortal?'. Hard question, mate, they're all such strong albums.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Appelmoes??

Pfoey! Euh... Live&Life, it has the most songs, it's live, it has Contagion (Which I would have chosen if I didn't have L&L) and the 2nd disc contains a lot of good songs from other albums. (Jericho, Solomon, Hanging Tree, Enemy Without  _O_ )
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Mark Jan

They're all very close, but The Visitor is just al tiny little bit better then the other albums. It's a very strong conceptual piece of music. All songs fit perfectly in each other. There is al lot of variation on this album en almost every song is a masterpiece!

Moonloop

Ummm.....tricky one. I'd probably go for "Pride" if I absolutely had to choose. Of the later albums though, the new one is definitely becoming a favourite.  ;D

I kind of prefer the more 'song' orientated albums rather than the concep pieces but then again it depends upon mood. Up until the new album, I certainly played the first 2 albums much more than the last 3.

Probably, my all time favourite will be the next one  ;)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Deenfan

I'm very fortunate. I find every album to be the best so far, and it seems to be a common feeling in my social circles. The best moments I still find on "Pride", and I mean like single parts of songs that really hit the right string inside. Off the top of my head:

"Innocence of acquaintance or liaison / The darker side of hunger and need / We reach a path / the way beyond reason / Now we have sown that nemicidal seed"

"Digging deep for something of value / How much more must I tear at the soil? ... "

"What did you do when you woke today / What did you feel, were you sad or afraid / Searching your thoughts for reasons or meanings / And the choices you made"

I'm still wondering if Pepper's Ghost is better than Contagion. It would be quite a feat, 'cause Contagion... I don't know how much better it can get.

Peter

The longer I think about it, the more I must say: it's definitely a draw for my favorite two, and it will stay that way, I believe. No decision on one of them possible for me, although I voted for Immortal? because the poll doesn't allow double votes :)

pijawkah

mdread666

Visitor or Songs From the Lion's Cage
mdread666

...for it is a human number,
It's number is six hundred and sixty six.

BrianG

I have debates about this all the time.......In the end, probably Contagion.....but it really depends on my mood and what I'm listening to at the time. I really like Lion's Cage (wish it were re-recorded....sometimes I think the production suffers a bit compared to later efforts, but there are great songs on that one). Usually, though, it's a toss-up between Immortal? and Contagion. Then there's the Visitor..... so I have to pick one,eh? Well then I guess it's Contagion. Terrific album. There's a sound about it that pulls me in whenever I listen to it. Just getting into Pepper's Ghost: excellent album as well.....

But Contagion it is.

How's that for hedging on an answer?

HeJePi

No need to think long, for me it is Contagion :)

This is the first Arena album I heard ... and it will always have a special place in my collection ...

A bit out of topic: I was wondering why 'Live and Life' + 'Caught in the act' are 2 differents packages since they share an identical track list. Why not put the concert DVD together with the 2 audio CD ??? and L&L DVD can be added at the end of the concert DVD as a bonus ... it just sound a bit strange for me ;D
'... And if it's hope that dies last, Why do all us hopeless still live.' eVeron - Flesh.

POM

Too hard... like them all!  ;D

"Live and Life" , maybe, 'cause it makes me remember the gig (which was a great moment with friends), and it contains lot of really good songs.

It's quite hard to explain, but my favourite album is always the latest one released so right now I'm on Pepper Ghost's for months... Just like when I discovered Arena, I listened to "Contagion" about 4 months, and the my boyfriend gave me "Visitors" and I listened to it for 3-4 months too ... It's a curious way but... ::) that's my way to enjoy prog' music (with french music, or "pop" it's not the same  ;) )

Simtere

Hard choice to make but I think my favourite album is Pepper's Ghost.  I like the way the band are moving things along, and despite virtual non stop playing this album still sounds as fresh and energetic as when I first heard it.

That said I will always have a soft spot for The Visitor, simply because this was the CD that got me hooked on the band in the first place.

The Voyager

Hello folks. Personally I prefer "The Visitor" and "Immortal?".  Although, "Solomon" is the best Arena's track ever. As for"Contagion"-cd, I don't like it at all.

Peter

Quote from: The Voyager on Sun, 2005-03-06, 13:08:06
  Hello folks. Personally I prefer "The Visitor" and "Immortal?".  Although, "Solomon" is the best Arena's track ever. As for"Contagion"-cd, I don't like it at all.

Eeek, and why is that so, if I may ask?

The Voyager

About "Contagion". Unfortunately, there is no reminiscent track there. It would be rather good album for any mediocre prog-act. But I wonder what happened in 2003 to this great band, that earlier made "The Visitor" and "Immortal?".. Glad to say, a couple of next EPs is much better.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: The Voyager on Tue, 2005-03-08, 08:32:41
   About "Contagion". Unfortunately, there is no reminiscent track there. It would be rather good album for any mediocre prog-act. But I wonder what happened in 2003 to this great band, that earlier made "The Visitor" and "Immortal?".. Glad to say, a couple of next EPs is much better.
Nothing happened to the band, they just made an album you don't like... Shit happens...
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Voyager

Suppose, Arena isn't to be one more ordinary prog-metal band. Time will show.

Spad

"Songs... " occupies for sure one special place in my heart 'cos I bought it ten years ago and I discovered the best sound and musical emotions I've ever heard and felt..... and that day began my love and mania for the Arena sound.

Then each new album has been a really masterpiece, a new pleasure for my hearing and a step forward the previous one. I think Arena now represents the new direction of the progressive-rock, the really 3rd millenium-prog!! I also like such great band as Pendragon or IQ but they still have the same sound of the 80's prog (Marillion in primis).

So, I love each single album but "Songs... " has something more........

Bye.
Spad.
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Nic

Can't decide between "The Visitor" and "Contagion"  :-\ .... my two favourties !

gelert

The last one that I bought is my favourite...

Or is it the other one, umm what's it called...? It's got a picture or something on the front of it, and it's got that tune that sounds like thingy...from that 70's TV show theme...it's on the tip-of-my-tongue...you know...had that actor in it who played that character in that really famous film....with what's-her-name from, um...that sci-fi stuff...looked like the girl from that TV advert for coffee or gravy or catfood or something...!

Well anyway, that one's my favourite, I think. At least for the moment.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

purplehaze

My favourites are the first two albums and the first concert album: Welcome to the Stage.
Because of long-long instrumental parts, beautiful and painful guitar solos.

Deenfan

On the one hand, I still find Contagion to be my favourite (Which makes Pepper's Ghost the first to not tip the last one off the throne), on the other hand, I'm very happy about Pepper's Ghost, and that they released a solid album that really rocks! I can imagine it must be a blast to play live, and a blast to watch.

Only thing about the live DVD I felt was a bit... well, it was much slow or slower than midtempo songs on there. No big deal at all, but I reckon the shows are more adrenalizing now!

Still hoping to get to Trondheim in October. :)

Ian Lay

Another thread I'm going to resurect.....

Like most here I like all the albums but being a person who likes concept albums where tracks flow into each other my favourites have to be The Visiter and Contagion.

Cheers,

Ian
Worrying is like a rocking chair, it takes you for a ride, but gets you nowhere.

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: Ian Lay on Fri, 2005-09-09, 22:33:23
Another thread I'm going to resurect.....

Like most here I like all the albums but being a person who likes concept albums where tracks flow into each other my favourites have to be The Visiter and Contagion.

Cheers,

Ian

I have to agree with Ian.  I like the concept idea and an album like Contagion just flows together so beautifully.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour