News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Mostly Autumn

Started by Moonloop, Wed, 2005-02-09, 13:54:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonloop

Any fans out there ..??

The new album "Storms Over Still Waters" is due in April for pre-orders and September for a general release. There's a limited edition (2000 copies) which includes a 'making of DVD'. See:

http://www.classicrockproductionsonline.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CRP1745

The band have a classic rock/prog feel to them with a hint of a celtic approach (especially in the earlier albums), sublime guitarwork and a mix of male & female vocals. The record label are trying to pass them off as 'the next Pink Floyd' which, quite frankly, is bo***cks, and an insult to both bands, Mostly Autumn don't need the tag, they have their own style and can stand alone with that just fine.

Admittedly, they're not everyone's cup of tea, but personally I'd say they are one of the finest new bands of the last few years and I'd advise anyone to at least check them out.  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

sotonrobin

Here Here

Have all there albums and DVD's and have seen them at least a dozen times, a couple more coming up in the Spring.

This is one band I will advise anyone to go and see live.

Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Mark Jan

Mostly Autumn is an excellent band! I like their music very much, although I still don't know everything they made. I've got Passengers and LOTR. Passengers is a fantastic album. I've heard several songs from their first albums and that sounds great too. I'm looking forward to the new album!  ;D

So, they are described as the new Pink Floyd. That's just nonsense. Mostly Autumn is completely different from Pink Floyd. The problem is that many new progbands are compared with Pink Floyd. They're all new Pink Floyd, they say. Nonsense!

Appelmoes??

Heard Heather on Ayreon's The Human Equation and was really impressed. But I never got around to try and find some M.A. songs to listen. Shame on me, I'll put it on my to do list right away.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Moonloop

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-02-09, 17:46:42
Heard Heather on Ayreon's The Human Equation and was really impressed. But I never got around to try and find some M.A. songs to listen. Shame on me, I'll put it on my to do list right away.

You do that  ;D

The best recommendation I can make is to avoid the Best Of compilation "Catch The Spirit". Although it's a good collection all the tracks were re-recorded and IMO the originals are better. Chronologically, the studio albums are:

For All We Shared
The Spirit Of Autumn Past
The Last Bright Light
Passengers.

The last 2 are probably the best 2

ENJOY

;D ;D

Moonloop

News....

Mostly Autumn have just split with the CRP and will be launching their own record label. Best of luck to them  ;D

sotonrobin

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-02-09, 17:46:42

With Mostly Autumn leaving CRP, CRP are having an 'End of ERA' sale.

http://www.classicrockproductionsonline.com/products.asp?cat=141

As most of the Studio cd's have been listed, I would recomend the 'V' shows DVD.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

The Voyager

In my opinion, Heather Findlay didnt sing enough. Moreover I don't like voice of mr.Josh. Sorry for criticism. 

Moonloop

Personally I quite like the dual vocal approach of Bryan & Heather, it's something you don't get much of these days and I think the band benefits from it. To me, it's certainly better than having either one of them sing everything.

Appreciate your point of view though  :)

The Voyager

To my regret, Karnataka is no longer able to continue. :'(  What's your opinion about such acts as Magenta or Forever Twelve, for example?.. 

Moonloop

I enjoyed all the Karnataka albums but didn't think they were as good as Mostly Autumn. Only heard one Magenta album (Seven) and wasn't too impressed as I thought it was a bit too generic.

Haven't heard of Forever Twelve though  ???

The Voyager

Forever Twelve is a rather good neo-prog band from USA, featuring female vocalist too. I like their debut cd"Remembrance Branch"(except for first track). Cat Ellen has a pleasant voice( but not too strong, perhaps). For me personally, Rachel Johns is stil number one...

sotonrobin

Quote from: The Voyager on Thu, 2005-03-10, 09:22:33
    To my regret, Karnataka is no longer able to continue. :'(  What's your opinion about such acts as Magenta or Forever Twelve, for example?.. 

I have to agree with you about Karnataka, A real shame. A great band live, but IMO didn't come across in the studio as well, (but saying that "Delicate flame of Desire" is one of my favourite albums). I also agree with MoonLoop that they weren't as good as Mostly Autumn.

Magenta i quite like as well, but i have never heard of "Forever Twelve".

Has anyone logged onto the M.A. website lately and listened to the samples from the forth coming album "Storms Over Still Waters"?

From the samples I have listened to, this sounds like ot should be the Best Yet.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

The Voyager

"Delicate Flame Of Desire" is just a top notch. I'm voted for this Karnataka's realease as the best album of 2003. Cos, I have to say once again: it's a matter of personal taste.

Moonloop

Quote from: sotonrobin on Thu, 2005-03-10, 10:58:37

Has anyone logged onto the M.A. website lately and listened to the samples from the forth coming album "Storms Over Still Waters"?

From the samples I have listened to, this sounds like ot should be the Best Yet.

I've resisted the temptation so far  ;) . Got the album on pre-order though and so am just playing the waiting game  ;D

sotonrobin

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-03-10, 12:30:17
I've resisted the temptation so far? ;) . Got the album on pre-order though and so am just playing the waiting game? ;D

I have also got it on pre-order, but my trouble is I tend to be impatient.
I thought I was going through hell whilst waiting for Ayreons "The Human Equation", and It's now happening again.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Moonloop

The new album arrived yesterday - first play indicates it's a classic  ;D

Can't wait to get home from work and play it again....

sotonrobin

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-04-28, 08:56:24
The new album arrived yesterday - first play indicates it's a classic  ;D

Can't wait to get home from work and play it again....

Ok Ok Ok... don't rub it in...

Glad it sounds so good, not that I'm expecting anything less.

Still impatiently waiting.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane