News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Greatest prog singers

Started by Nicky007, Wed, 2007-05-30, 11:04:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

In alphabetical order:

Ray Alder  (Fates Warning, Redemption, Engine)
Russell Allen  (Symphony X, with Jørn Lande, solo)
Jon Anderson  (Yes, Jon & Vangelis, solo)
Mike Baker  (Shadow Gallery, Ayreon)
Gary Belin  (Stride)
David Bowie  (solo)
Chris Cornell  (Soungarden, Audioslave, solo, Temple Of The Dog)
Nick D'Virgilio  (Spock's Beard, solo)
Fish  (Marillion, solo)
Daniel Gildenlöw  (Pain Of Salvation, Transatlantic)
David Gilmore  (Pink Floyd, solo)
Marco Glühmann  (Sylvan)
Tracy Hitchings  (Landmarq, with Clive Nolan and Oliver Wakeman, solo)
James LaBrie  (Dream Theater, solo)
Mac  (Threshold, Sargant Fury, Yargos)
Neal Morse  (Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, solo)
Robert Plant  (Led Zeppelin, Strange Sensation, solo)
Rob Sowden  (Arena, Solar)
Layne Staley  (Alice In Chains, Mad Season)
Roger Waters  (Pink Floyd, solo)
Scott Weiland  (Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, solo)
Damian Wilson  (Threshold, Landmarq, Ayreon, with Rick Wakeman, solo)
Steven Wilson  (Porcupine Tree, Blackfield)
Paul Wrightson  (Arena)
Mikael Åkerfeldt  (Opeth)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-05-30, 11:04:17
IMO INPO :

Rob Sowden      Mac      Chris Cornell      Ray Alder      Nick D'Virgilio      Neal Morse      Paul Wrightson      David Gilmore      Roger Waters      Layne Staley      Scott Weiland      Britney Spears

I think that this topic can get some tempers boiling.

Nicky.

I'm sorry but I think I'll have to add James Labrie to that list. Not to tease you, but only because I feel so. :)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

OK, Tom, if not for any other reason than that he was the right person at the right place at the right time. What wouldn't I do for DT and you (competing with PH here).

LaBrie is added (next to Britney)  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-05-30, 11:04:17
IMO INPO :

Rob Sowden      Mac      Chris Cornell      Ray Alder      Nick D'Virgilio      Neal Morse      Paul Wrightson      David Gilmore      Roger Waters      Layne Staley      Scott Weiland      Fish      James LaBrie      Britney Spears

I think that this topic can get some tempers boiling.

Nicky.

Apart from the fact that I don't even know some of those (namely Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, Ray Alder) , I'm pretty sure that the last one was actually a Freudian something, wasn't it...

Please add Procupine Tree's Steven Wilson, if you will. He always claims to be not an awfully proficient singer, but I like his voice a lot.
Please also add Sylvan's Marco Glühmann. One of the few who can actually transport emotions with his voice.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Proglady

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2007-05-30, 12:47:55

Please also add Sylvan's Marco Glühmann. One of the few who can actually transport emotions with his voice.

I totaly agree with you Peter!!!  *horns*

Andy

On first place - John Wetton - the greatest singer ever.
I also like Fish, John Carson, Paul Wrightson, John Mitchell, Nick Barrett, Rob Sowden.

Sorry but I can't stand Labrie and Dream Theater. They think they are professionals, but their music lacks the soul.

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2007-05-30, 12:47:55
Apart from the fact that I don't even know some of those (namely Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, Ray Alder)

Well, Layne Staley was the singer of Alice in Chains, with Jerry Cantrell harmonising finely. Layne poured out his soul so much in his music that he ended up dying of it. Very sad, and very special.

Scott Weiland was (and hopefully will be again) the singer of Stone Temple Pilots, a group that almost made it to my genius list. He also made a solo album, 12 Bar Blues, which is a masterpiece, also very special. He earns a good buck playing with Slash, Duff, and Matt in Velvet Revolver, a solid rock group with a fraction of the intelligence of STP.

You don't know Ray Alder? Good grief, captain. He's the fabulous singer of Fates Warning and Redemption, one of my absolute nr. 1's.

> Please add Procupine Tree's Steven Wilson, if you will. He always claims to be not an awfully proficient singer, but I like his voice a lot.

You're right, there's something very special and expressive about his voice.

>  Please also add Sylvan's Marco Glühmann. One of the few who can actually transport emotions with his voice.

Haven't heard him yet, but he's on his way to me, or at least his voice is.

But OK, what don't I do for my captain (I'm trying to get friends around here, lonely me with my crazy ideas).

> I'm pretty sure that the last one was actually a Freudian something, wasn't it...

The reason I added Britney was because I have to do some bizniz in order to be able to buy the stuff on my shopping list. At some point, someone will get so annoyed at seeing Britney on the prog singer list that s/he will offer to pay a large sum for me to remove Britney. OK, the bidding starts herewith.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Andy on Wed, 2007-05-30, 13:45:31
On first place - John Wetton - the greatest singer ever.
I also like Fish, John Carson, Paul Wrightson, John Mitchell, Nick Barrett, Rob Sowden.

Sorry but I can't stand Labrie and Dream Theater. They think they are professionals, but their music lacks the soul.

Very welcome here in the Room, Andy. Great to have a Russian Arena fan. Na Zdrovie.

I'll check out Flash Range soon and give you one of my crazy opinions.

With regard to our respective fave singers, the main explanation of the difference is age: You're 20 and I'm 52. (I could almost be your male babushka.)

Dream Theater is a favorite band of several Roomies. Their albums are very difficult to get into, particularly the later ones. They require many attentive listens. But in the last end, we are many proggies who regard Arena and Dream Theater as the two Masters of Prog Rock.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2007-05-30, 12:29:30
Damian Wilson ofcourse.

At this point, I'll promise you to listen more attentively to him, Appelmoes.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Lake of despond

Damian Wilson on Threshold albums, Damian Wilson in Landmarq, Damian Wilson on each Ayreon, Damian Wilson with Rick Wakeman, Damian Wilson as guest in Aina and finally Damian Wilson and his solo work.

Nicky007

OK, looks like I'm being majorised around here, and I always give in to (pretty) ladies.

Damian's on his way to the great list.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

I've removed the IMO from the list, as I'm acting more like a backstopper at this point.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Two names that has to be in it are Daniell Gildenlow (Pain Of Salvation) and Mike Baker (Shadow Gallery).

In my opinion ( ;)) two of the best prog singers in the world.  *horns*

Am a bit surprised about three names though: Layne Stayley, Scott Weiland and Chris Cornell. The first two typical grunge-singers and Chris a powerful, indeed an excellent singer but i don't consider them prog singers. Just...Singers.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Lake of despond on Wed, 2007-05-30, 14:15:45
and finally Damian Wilson and his solo work.
Yet, that's not prog ;)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2007-05-30, 22:37:39
Two names that has to be in it are Daniel Gildenlöw (Pain Of Salvation) and Mike Baker (Shadow Gallery).

In my opinion ( ;)) two of the best prog singers in the world.  *horns*

Let's hear what some other people think. I myself am a moderate fan of these two groups, and I haven't concentrated sufficiently on the singers to determine how good they are.

> Am a bit surprised about three names though: Layne Stayley, Scott Weiland and Chris Cornell. The first two typical grunge-singers and Chris a powerful, indeed an excellent singer but i don't consider them prog singers. Just...Singers.

I can see that you are not familiar with Scott's and Chris' solo albums, resp. 12 Bar Blues and Euphoria Morning. Both albums are clearly prog, and the singing on both of them is tremendous.

Alice In Chains was a very extraordinary group, clearly prog, and Layne a very expressive singer. Listen to the tripod album, and I'm sure you'll agree with me.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-05-30, 23:52:28

I can see that you are not familiar with Scott's and Chris' solo albums, resp. 12 Bar Blues and Euphoria Morning. Both albums are clearly prog, and the singing on both of them is tremendous.

You're right, i'm not familiar with their solo work. Not really fond of Scott's performances (not even with Velvet Revolver btw)  but i am a fan of Chris' voice. I have all the Soundgarden albums and the Temple Of The Dog-project which in my view are amazing.

QuoteAlice In Chains was a very extraordinary group, clearly prog, and Layne a very expressive singer. Listen to the tripod album, and I'm sure you'll agree with me.

Nicky.

I agree with you that AIC was great. I still frequently listen to them. The death of Layne was also the death of one of the best rock bands on earth. Still, in my opinion, i wouldn't call it prog but with that the discussion could go on forever. I don't want that. Let's state that Chris and Layne are/were/whatever great singers.

Yet...Still no Scott Weiland for me. ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

Let's hear what some other people think. I myself am a moderate fan of these two groups, and I haven't concentrated sufficiently on the singers to determine how good they are.

I think you definately have to add Daniel Gildenlow to your list, he is such a great singer! I really really like his voice! Well, he's at one of the top spots of my favourite singers anyway... ;)

Tom

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2007-05-31, 02:58:07
I think you definately have to add Daniel Gildenlow to your list, he is such a great singer! I really really like his voice! Well, he's at one of the top spots of my favourite singers anyway... ;)

OK, he gets to the list, but if I ever see Gildenlöw spelled without the umlaut again here in the Room, he'll be removed immediately.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

I reordered our singers, so they're listed alphabetically now.

I also added the groups they sing & have sung in, + solo. You guys will have to help me out with groups I've missed.

I'd like to hear if you think John Anderson from Yes, Jon and Vangelis, and solo albums, belongs on our great list.

Let me also hear more opinions on singers present on and missing from the list. However, I will not accept any opinion on Scott Weiland from anyone who hasn't listened properly to 12 Bar Blues.

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-05-31, 11:40:01
OK, he gets to the list, but if I ever see Gildenlöw spelled without the umlaut again here in the Room, he'll be removed immediately.

Nicky.

Oooohhhh I'm so very sorry. How can I make it up to you? ;)

But I'm glad that you added Daniel GildenlÖw to your list!

Tom

PH

Mikael Ackerfeldt (sorry about the little "o" that belongs on the "A").
Although I don't really like Opeth and am absolutely not a fan of his music, he has one of the BEST (if not the best) voices there are!
(The clean vocals anyway, he can put the growls for sale to a real Death Metal band).

I'm now listening to OSI and I think Kevin Moore has a very special voice! I like it very much!
But I don't think it belongs to the greatest prog singers...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2007-05-31, 12:42:14
Oooohhhh I'm so very sorry. How can I make it up to you? ;)

Beer next time. My standard answer. And this one demands a double, Tom, one for each missing dot.

But you're right. I was actually gripped by Daniel Gildenlöws voice from start, very powerful and fine English elocution, although I haven't yet been really gripped by PoS' music. Maybe you could help me: Note some of your fave passages for me (and maybe others in the Room).

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-05-31, 16:51:09
Mikael Ackerfeldt (sorry about the little "o" that belongs on the "A").
Although I don't really like Opeth and am absolutely not a fan of his music, he has one of the BEST (if not the best) voices there are!
(The clean vocals anyway, he can put the growls for sale to a real Death Metal band).

I've been thinking about him too. And he's one of the few Vikings who has an excellent English (even though he growls a lot, he doesn't need to, but he might be mad at his wife a lot of the time).

So, Mikael ÅÅÅkerfeldt, welcome to the Great List Of Shattered Singers, or how was it?

> I'm now listening to OSI and I think Kevin Moore has a very special voice! I like it very much!
> But I don't think it belongs to the greatest prog singers...

Agree with you on that one.

Hey guys, give me an answer: How about Jon Anderson? I'm in doubt myself. I like his voice, and I've heard it a lot (have about 30 albums with him singing). But whether he's an actually great singer?

And we gotta find a female prog singer for our list, or else we risk losing our remaining hardy female Roomies. Leave it to the ladies: Who do you propose?

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

Mike Baker seems a great prog singer to me. It's one of my favourite singers of Ayreon's 'The Human Equation'. Then I checked out the music of Shadow Gallery and now I'm a SG fan  8) ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)