News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Ten Years On

Started by mdread666, Wed, 2006-09-20, 09:55:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Appelmoes??

I don't have it, but I can tell what I would like to see in the booklet.

Bits off info of how the song was created, but also why the band choose that song to be on this album. And some crazy studio photo's ofcourse, those are always fun :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Butterfly Man

Ladies and gentlemen........I got it!

After a couple of spins I think I like 'Empire' with Rob on vocals better than the original version. Especially the end-section (the 'let the meek lie down'-part) is awesome! I also think it´s cool that in the verses you can still hear Paul´s backing vocals.

Overall I think this is a good compilation with nice artwork so I think you'll just have to buy it! ;D

Tom

There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

I think it's funny that they decided to do a Rob vocal version of a song which is on the least-best Arena album.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2006-11-09, 21:28:48
I think it's funny that they decided to do a Rob vocal version of a song which is on the least-best Arena album.
That's your opinion ;)

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2006-11-09, 21:53:33
That's your opinion ;)

Indeed! ;)
And I said least-best and not worst, because I still think it's a GREAT album!

Sometimes you wonder where the heck they get all the inspiration from...
I'm absolutely sure that the seventh studio album will be great and probably even better than it's predecessor.
And that's so funny because it's almost impossible, but they did it everytime.

Arena should be called The Amazers, or something.

Dukas

Ten Years On features a pretty good selection, but I think that the tracks should be more varied if it's main goal is to attract new listeners. I would have loved to see this tracklist:

1. Salamander
2. Smoke and Mirrors
3. Elea
4. Empire of a Thousand Days
5. Waiting for the Flood
6. Skin Game
7. Mea Culpa
8. A Crack in the Ice
9. Jericho
10. Crying for Help IV
11. The Hanging Tree/Solomon
12. Friday's Dream

Especially tracks like Waiting for the Flood, Crying for Help IV and Friday's Dream add to an album like this. Track 11 consists of the complete Hanging Tree, followed by Solomon starting from 7.08. It works quite well together, and this way the in my opinion weaker part of Solomon is skipped (don't crucify me!)

Appelmoes??

Oh, I got the album too now and I like Rob's version. But I must admit I only listened to it once :-[ (But I have listened to the other albums...)

My drawings on MySpace

JJ II

QuoteI think it's funny that they decided to do a Rob vocal version of a song which is on the least-best Arena album.

I think there was not much choice. When de tracklist was discussed, a number of people (including myself) urged Clive and Mick to include something different, e.a. outtakes, demo's, etc. of well known songs.

Clive explained that Arena don't do demoes. It's simply not the way they are working. We (Eric and I) suggested re-recording some of the older material with Rob about two years ago. This would be difficult, because it would mean bringing the band together, hiring a studio etc.
It suddenly came to my mind that there was the karaoke-version of Empire on the Edits EP. Using that one would mean that only Rob had to do a studio-session to sing over a ready mixed backing track. I knew that Rob had always liked this track. He mentioned it once in an interview I did with him as one of his favourite pre-Immortal tracks.

So there really wasn't much choice: Empire really was the only song available! I personally think it worked out very well.