News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dream Theater - Studio album # 10

Started by The Butterfly Man, Thu, 2008-11-27, 08:26:49

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

Hi guys, as some of you may know DT is in the studio, writing/recording their new album. Now look what Mike Portnoy just wrote on his website:            

Quote from: Mike Portnoy
Well, normally I wont share any studio info for fear of over speculation and analyzation but I felt the need to share this excitement with y'all:             

Today I finished my drum tracks for the new Dream Theater album!               

And as I normally never give away song descriptions, titles, lengths, etc....I will say just this:             

Imagine a DT album with A Change Of Seasons, Octavarium, Learning To Live, Pull Me Under and The Glass Prison....all on one album....             

COULD YOU HANDLE IT??               

Excited?             
I sure am!!!!

Anticipation starts NOW! *horns*            

Tom            
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

Yay to that i'd say.  :D

Which means another album of epical proportions.
Me likey.  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Thanks for the info, Tom.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: Mike Portnoy
Imagine a DT album with (1) A Change Of Seasons, (2) Octavarium, (3) Learning To Live, (4) Pull Me Under and (5) The Glass Prison....all on one album....

1) Cool
2) Cool
3) Cool
4) Cool
5) Cool

Overall: COOOOOOL!!!

I wonder if they'll break their record of longest track again. ::)

-Paco

The_Weco

Hopefully it'll be a progressive rather than heavy album. The last one was too heavy for my taste.

Was kinda hoping for another concept since it's been 10 years from the Scenes Form A Memory and only really conceptual peace after that has been SDOIT.

Nicky007

Yeah, I'm wondering too. What will they come up with this time ?

Every studio album from DT has been groundbreaking, so we can expect that once again  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Deenfan

No, it hasn't. Not since Awake. ;)

But who knows? Maybe the old corpse is still coughing up blood.

Nicky007

Quote from: Deenfan on Fri, 2008-11-28, 11:38:54
No, it hasn't. Not since Awake. ;)

Guess that's where we lost you, Deenie  :P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

h9

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2008-11-27, 17:37:41
Overall: COOOOOOL!!!
I wonder if they'll break their record of longest track again. ::)

I agree with you Paco. All of those  list is masterpiece DT Works. Especially ACOS and 8ium that very fit to my ear.
LTL also being the best in IAW (one of Myung's writing).
Btw, IMO so far DT has a good market so they can manipulate the market.
After great SFAM, they release SDOIT. A half (CD A) for Metal minded. And another side for Proglovers.
And then they released TOT that very Heavy.
And then they turn again to the more progressive (especially in the 8varium epic).
And then they back again to release something Dark and heavy with SC.
Now, i just imagine that they will create an epic long track song for the next album.
Maybe an hour song, that like what TFK did or GreenCarnation did?

The_Weco

Well I don't think making a long song just to make a long song doen't make sense. They would really need an epic idea (musically and lyricly to carry though it and if they haven't got one, they shouldn't force it just to have a new long song. I'm very fine with 10+min songs like The Ministry Of Lost Souls on the last album.

h9

Quote from: The_Weco on Fri, 2008-11-28, 21:42:46
They would really need an epic idea

Indeed, longer song is not always indicate the better song. And i'm sure you're really love SFAM and SDOIT CD B.  ::)
IMO, if MP said that the next album inspired by those list i'm still sure they will release an epic and maybe with longer duration.
Maybe, "Light Of Day, Day of Darkness" is 'just' a longer song that sounds monotone, but i'm sure you will agree with me that '8varium', 'ACOS', or 'SDOIT epic' are quite different.
There are many changes of idea and tempo and give a different nuance.
Altho IMO the best epic ever are 'Supper's Ready', 'Close to The Edge', and 'Gates of Delirium'.  *horns*

maddox

Quote from: h9 on Sat, 2008-11-29, 09:52:50
"Light Of Day, Day of Darkness"

That would be a real challange if they would do a song like Light... or Garden Of Dreams.  :)
6DOIT isn't really an epic to me, just a few songs tied together. For me it's something like an extended EP.  ;)
I fear that a band like DT would get lost if they would make a real epic like the aforementioned.
Their real power lies in long epical songs between 14 minutes to 25 minutes or the likes.

Nicky007

So you've come of age
Sure you can

The_Weco

Quote from: h9 on Sat, 2008-11-29, 09:52:50
Indeed, longer song is not always indicate the better song. And i'm sure you're really love SFAM and SDOIT CD B.  ::)
IMO, if MP said that the next album inspired by those list i'm still sure they will release an epic and maybe with longer duration.
Maybe, "Light Of Day, Day of Darkness" is 'just' a longer song that sounds monotone, but i'm sure you will agree with me that '8varium', 'ACOS', or 'SDOIT epic' are quite different.
There are many changes of idea and tempo and give a different nuance.
Altho IMO the best epic ever are 'Supper's Ready', 'Close to The Edge', and 'Gates of Delirium'.  *horns*

For sure, I love the stuff in SFAM and SDOIT but those really aren't made as one song. They are single songs tied together musically and lyricly. And that is in my opinnion where DT is really great.

Whereas ACOS is a great peace, I don't think Octavarium quite gets there. Don't get me wrong it's a decent song with interesting build up from the Crazy Diamond -beginning into a very intence end, but when compared with other 20+ "epic prog songs" like Echoes or AHM it just doesn't make it. So, if they're going to do another and even longer peace it's going to be very risky. Atleast after a bit dissapointing SC-album.

maddox

Quote from: The_Weco on Sun, 2008-11-30, 08:35:57
So, if they're going to do another and even longer peace it's going to be very risky. Atleast after a bit dissapointing SC-album.

At least we agree on that matter.  ;)

Not on the Octavarium-song though.  :-\
I can't really make a choice which song is better, ACOS or Octavarium but to me both tracks are pure gems. Especially the Score version. Sure, that one has been polished to the bone but it's nevertheless a great track.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2008-11-30, 10:53:56
I can't really make a choice which song is better, ACOS or Octavarium but to me both tracks are pure gems. Especially the Score version. Sure, that one has been polished to the bone but it's nevertheless a great track.

Agree, Mad, just not on the "nevertheless". Both the studio and Score versions of Octavarium are terrific. And here, Jordan proves once and for all that he's up to it with the other DT-guys  *horns*

ACOS is great too considering that this is early DT  8)

Only with Funeral For A Friend, I prefer the original Elton John version, but that might be cause it's religious for me; iow it's a priori excluded that anyone can surpass Elton there, not even my excellent piano version (I'l play it for you guys when we meet, but then I expect a good Belgian beer in return)  ;D :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can