News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dream Theater's Score

Started by maddox, Sat, 2006-08-12, 18:12:05

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Ok cool, but:

TWENTY-FOUR SOMETHING BLOODY EURO'S?!?!?!?! :o :o >:( >:( For those 3 CD's??????

Argh.... I still want it! ;D And the DVD too! I might buy the Metropolis 2000 also and maybe even the Dark Side Of The Moon DVD.
Maddox, I think it was you who bought the DSOTM DVD by Dream Theater, right?
Is it any good? I heard it was a bootleg DVD, which immediately brings me to the question: is it professional.........
I want it to have nice sound and video, if it is like Smoke & Mirrors it can be considered "bought". ;D

maddox

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2006-09-04, 22:07:15
Ok cool, but:

TWENTY-FOUR SOMETHING BLOODY EURO'S?!?!?!?! :o :o >:( >:( For those 3 CD's??????

Argh.... I still want it! ;D And the DVD too! I might buy the Metropolis 2000 also and maybe even the Dark Side Of The Moon DVD.
Maddox, I think it was you who bought the DSOTM DVD by Dream Theater, right?
Is it any good? I heard it was a bootleg DVD, which immediately brings me to the question: is it professional.........
I want it to have nice sound and video, if it is like Smoke & Mirrors it can be considered "bought". ;D

No, sadly enough i didn't bought it yet. I got the 2cd though of The Dark Side Of The Moon and i can tell you that it's marvelous.
It's a bootleg but the sound is far better than the crap bootlegs you can buy on the black market. It's almost a geniune live album.
I can imagine that the DVD is just as good though i don't know anything about the videoshoot. That might be crap for that matter but i'll have to get back to you on that. I can ask it to someone who knows.  8)

Btw, thanx for the reminder of buying the DVD too.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

Hey PH,

I have the Dark Side Of The Moon DVD and I can tell you that it's a must-have. Especially if you're a fan of Dream Theater and/or Pink Floyd. Regarding the quality: It is top notch. Both sound and video are superb. It was professionally recorded and released through Ytsejam Records, the bands own label for "Official Bootlegs", as they're called. Official Bootlegs can ONLY be bought through www.ytsejamrecords.com.

And BTW, don't think about it any further, just BUY the Live Scenes From New York DVD! You won't regret it!

If you want more information on DT releases, just ask...... ;D

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2006-09-05, 00:32:12
Hey PH,

I have the Dark Side Of The Moon DVD and I can tell you that it's a must-have. Especially if you're a fan of Dream Theater and/or Pink Floyd. Regarding the quality: It is top notch. Both sound and video are superb. It was professionally recorded and released through Ytsejam Records, the bands own label for "Official Bootlegs", as they're called. Official Bootlegs can ONLY be bought through www.ytsejamrecords.com.

And BTW, don't think about it any further, just BUY the Live Scenes From New York DVD! You won't regret it!

If you want more information on DT releases, just ask...... ;D

Tom

Well, PH. There's nothing more i can add really. Asked a friend about it and he said almost the same thing.

Oh, there was one thing more he said and i quote: Buy them. Now  8).

PH

Thanks for the info guys!
I'll see what I can do.

Today I bought Score (DVD (21,99 euro) AND CD (17,95)) Bargain!
I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY like it!
The ONLY thing I don't like is Petrucci's hair, the rest is perfect!
The orchestra is a VERY NICE addition!!! Oh my oh my that was GREAT!!!

willowroolz

I can vouch for the quality of the DSotM dvd, it's fantastic. I was at Hammersmith Odeon on the night they filmed it and was right next to one of the cameramen at the front of the balcony - he was getting hassled all the way through by stupid security people, I'm amazed he was able to get such good shots, and it's a brilliant performance by the band.

As for Score, I've watched it several times now and I have to say it's close to being my favourite live dvd of all time.

Mad, I'm going to disagree with you for the first time ever ( :D ;)) because I think the set list is fantastic and is a marvellous celebration of their career. I think my only gripe would be the inclusion of I Walk Beside You, rather than include at least a short section of A Change of Seasons. But after that, having Another Won, Afterlife, Under A Glass Moon, Innocence Faded, Raise The Knife and The Spirit Carries On back to back at the end of the first set is just amazing. Btw, Raise The Knife is the other previously unreleased track, as opposed to Afterlife  :)

The second set with the orchestra is just phenomenal. By the time it reaches the guitar solo at the end of Octavarium I get goosebumps and can feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end. First time through I was standing up and cheering the dvd. It's just awesome  *horns*

I watched Budokan again last night just to compare. I actually think that it's better in terms of image and sound quality, but the set and the performance on Score are far superior.

Love the guy in the orchestra giving the horns sign at the end of Octavarium, too  :D *horns*

Appelmoes??

Quote from: willowroolz on Tue, 2006-09-12, 12:34:43
as opposed to Afterlife  :)
Isn't Afterlife on When Day and Dream Unite?
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

willowroolz

Appelmoes??

So it isn't a previously unrealeased track like Raise the Knife ;)

My drawings on MySpace

willowroolz

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2006-09-12, 17:13:01
So it isn't a previously unrealeased track like Raise the Knife ;)
Er, that's what I said:

"Raise The Knife is the other previously unreleased track, as opposed to Afterlife"

;)

Appelmoes??

D'oh! :o

Sorry, Read to fast ;)

Another question? Why do so many people think 'I Walk Beside You' is so bad? I love that song. Ok, mainly because the words have a special meaning for me. When I bought Octavarium, my (at that time) girlfriend was having a burn-out, so the lyrics kind of made sense to me. But besides that I like the melody lines of the lyrics (very good sing-a-long live I think) and the music in general is very uplifting and creates a feeling of 'support' if you know what I mean. I think songs that can create a mood are almost always beautiful and it needs talent from the writers to be able to make songs like that :)
Well, that's what  tink ;)

My drawings on MySpace

willowroolz

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2006-09-12, 18:23:49
D'oh! :o

Sorry, Read to fast ;)
No problem mate  ;D

Personally, I don't think "I Walk Beside You" is bad at all, I really like it. It's a great change of pace on the Octavarium album, very catchy and short and to the point. On Score, though, they play 4 other tracks from Octavarium - I just think it would've been great if they'd played at least some of A Change of Seasons instead or (bearing in mind A Change of Seasons has already appeared on the Live Scenes From New York cd and dvd) something like Scarred, which I've heard but never seen them perform live. But I fully accept that they were out there not just celebrating 20 years but also promoting the new album, so it's a minor criticism in my opinion  ;D

PH

I really like "I Walk Beside You", it's indeed a very uplifting song and the lyrics are good.

About the Octavarium tracks.

They played:
The Root Of All Evil
The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

In my opinion they should have included Panic Attack and/or Never Enough.
I could have done without The Answer Lies Within or (in that case) I Walk Beside You or Sacrificed Sons.

But overall the DVD is really brilliant!

maddox

Quote from: willowroolz on Tue, 2006-09-12, 12:34:43

Mad, I'm going to disagree with you for the first time ever ( :D ;))

:o  :'(  :'(  ;) I won't hold it against you.  :D

QuoteThe second set with the orchestra is just phenomenal. By the time it reaches the guitar solo at the end of Octavarium I get goosebumps and can feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end. First time through I was standing up and cheering the dvd. It's just awesome  *horns*

I totally agree with that.  :D I was in shock for almost half an hour and smiling, man i was smiling. This is good.  8)

QuoteI watched Budokan again last night just to compare. I actually think that it's better in terms of image and sound quality, but the set and the performance on Score are far superior.

Love the guy in the orchestra giving the horns sign at the end of Octavarium, too  :D *horns*

Didn't watch Budokan after Score yet but i think you are right. The footage is a bit better than score. But who's complaining? I'm not.  :D

Btw. I seemed to notice a women in the orchestra, playing the violin, who had this face like: "Where the hell have i got myself into?  :o"

That was fun.  :D

Appelmoes??

Can you post a screenshot for those that don't have the DVD?

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2006-09-12, 21:00:37

I could have done without The Answer Lies Within or (in that case) I Walk Beside You or Sacrificed Sons.

Those are my thoughts as well. Was there last year in Amsterdam and they played Never Enough and These Walls and man, those song really  *horns*. Would love to hear them on the CD/DVD. Then it definitly would be the CD/DVD of the year.  8)

Not that it's bad. I enjoy it every time i hear/watch it.  8) *horns*

PH

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2006-09-12, 21:08:04Btw. I seemed to notice a women in the orchestra, playing the violin, who had this face like: "Where the hell have i got myself into?  :o"

Yeah indeed! ;D
Also, my dad was watching a bit with me when I was watching the DVD and he said "I think that orchestra will regret it". But the leader is a DT-fan eh?

PH

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2006-09-12, 21:12:49
Those are my thoughts as well. Was there last year in Amsterdam and they played Never Enough and These Walls and man, those song really  *horns*. Would love to hear them on the CD/DVD. Then it definitly would be the CD/DVD of the year.  8)

Not that it's bad. I enjoy it every time i hear/watch it.  8) *horns*

I intentionally didn't mention These Walls as I think it's the less best track along with Sacrificed Sons in my opinion... Sorry.

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2006-09-12, 21:13:38
Yeah indeed! ;D
Also, my dad was watching a bit with me when I was watching the DVD and he said "I think that orchestra will regret it". But the leader is a DT-fan eh?

I think the leader is still the only DT-fan of the orchestra.  :D

The Butterfly Man

The songs from Octavarium that they didn't play when they recorded the Score-DVD are included on last years  international fanclubs DVD 'A Walk Beside The Band'. This DVD features interviews with the band and some live performances. I remember that I read somewhere that this was intentional, just to give the fanclubs a little bonus. I don't think that you can get hold of it still, but I thought that it was a nice little background story!  :)

Tom

There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

willowroolz

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2006-09-13, 11:53:21
The songs from Octavarium that they didn't play when they recorded the Score-DVD are included on last years  international fanclubs DVD 'A Walk Beside The Band'. This DVD features interviews with the band and some live performances. I remember that I read somewhere that this was intentional, just to give the fanclubs a little bonus. I don't think that you can get hold of it still, but I thought that it was a nice little background story!  :)
That's a fantastic dvd, that one  *horns*

willowroolz

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2006-09-12, 21:00:37
I really like "I Walk Beside You", it's indeed a very uplifting song and the lyrics are good.

About the Octavarium tracks.

They played:
The Root Of All Evil
The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

It's an interesting one, that. They had to pick tracks that would be suitable with an orchestra, and The Answer Lies Within, Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium all feature an orchestra on the studio versions.

Going back to what Mad said about celebrating their 20th anniversary, I think if they'd played anymore from Octavarium on that night it would have been at the expense of songs from the other albums, which would have been a shame considering the occasion, in my opinion  ;D

willowroolz

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2006-09-12, 21:08:04
Btw. I seemed to notice a women in the orchestra, playing the violin, who had this face like: "Where the hell have i got myself into?  :o"

That was fun.  :D
Yeah, I think I know the one you mean  :D

The woman playing the flute on Octavarium looked scared to death as well  :D

Also, one of the guys in the orchestra has a similar expression and also is wearing huge earplugs  :D :D

maddox

Quote from: willowroolz on Wed, 2006-09-13, 12:04:14
Going back to what Mad said about celebrating their 20th anniversary, I think if they'd played anymore from Octavarium on that night it would have been at the expense of songs from the other albums, which would have been a shame considering the occasion, in my opinion  ;D

I agree with you on that one, though i must point out that i didn't meant that they should play more of Octavarium. Instead they, in my opinion, should have pick other songs instead of 'I walk Beside You' and 'The Answer Lies Within'. Panic Attack would've been so cool.  8)

The idea of playing songs from their early days is one i support. Though the vocal skills of Charles Dominici is somewhat poor, there are some pretty interesting songs on 'When Day And Dream Unite'. Another Hand for instance. Or 'A Fortune In Lies', which both of them they also added to the 'Live At The Marquee' album.

Still i think it's a hell of a DVD/CD.  8) (yep, i've got both.  ;D but you already guessed that.  *horns* :D)

willowroolz

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2006-09-13, 20:10:29
Still i think it's a hell of a DVD/CD.  8) (yep, i've got both.  ;D but you already guessed that.  *horns* :D)
S'Okay, so have I  :D 

They played my favourite track off WDaDU, Afterlife, so I was happy with that.

I would've loved to have seen the likes of Scarred, Lines in the Sand, The Glass Prison etc, but I'm just being picky, it's a fantastic dvd  8)

Have you watched the documentary?

I've posted a review up on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GIWS7E/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/026-2464621-7954069?ie=UTF8, I'm Steve D (it was the only review there at time of posting)  :)