News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Smoke And Mirrors DVD

Started by Micha, Sun, 2006-02-19, 17:32:44

Previous topic - Next topic

saint_ade

The point about any DVD being out of sync, is that it SHOULDN'T be. You pay your money and you expect the authoring to be correct. I can make DVDs using Nero software on my home PC and add new soundtracks and get them perfectly in sync dead easily, so I'm sure a professional company can. I have had DVDs made for the business I'm in and if one came back like Smoke & Mirrors, I'd have no hesitation in rejecting the whole batch. There are some DVD players that do suffer from lip sync problems, but by and large that problem has been rectified with the new generation of DVD players. It would seem that the time delay varies from DVD to DVD, but on mine (6 month old Philips) the picture is about half a beat in front of the audio, which is very frustrating more than anything and patently obvious with the drumming, but also quite clear with the guitar solos. I'm sure Clive is on the case and will (hopefully) get a new batch made and we can switch them...(??) Let's keep our fingers crossed for some news.

HelenDo

Just wanted to add that I have at last managed to watch the bonus footage of the re-union concert & its fab. I love this DVD!!!!!

Helenxxxx

nobch

well, sorry fellows,sorry clive!
I still have the sync problem with the dvd! I cant synchronize the drums or the voice with the picture! ;-))
I'm not willing to pay a lot of money for a worse dvd.
Metal Minds P. says: No, there are no problems, so what?

Can anybody help?

Otherwise I will send the DVD+CD back to my distributor.
Arena Fan since 1996

johninblack

Quote from: HelenDo on Sat, 2006-04-29, 22:45:11
Just wanted to add that I have at last managed to watch the bonus footage of the re-union concert & its fab. I love this DVD!!!!!

Helenxxxx

Superb isn't it? And in sync.

marcello

My Smoke and Mirrors DVD came today and I've watched all the way through including bonus features and i find no problems whatsoever with it.

My say is that that DVD is really damn good!!!
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

Stuart

Well, I just got an email from none other than Mr Mick Pointer saying the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a random problem with the synchronization on the new Arena
DVD (Smoke and Mirrors).

If you have a copy that is out of sync there is now a solution!

Simply send your 'out of sync' "Disc Only" Not the packaging to:
Metal Mind Productions
(att: Ola Kobusinska)
40-534 Katowice
ul.Czajek 31
Poland

Don't forget to supply a return address...
and Metal Mind will replace your copy with a new in-sync version.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now we have a solution. Nice one guys.

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Mick

Hi Everyone,

I would like to clear up this Smoke & Mirrors DVD problem once and for all!
The DVD Limited and normal version was licensed to Metal Mind Records in Poland by Verglas Music this means that Metal Mind are responsible for the production of the DVD this is why you need to send your copy to them in Poland for exchange (if its not working as you would expect it to i.e. sound not in time with the vision) address can be found on verglas.com if you bought the DVD from Verglas.com you should have received a mail from me explaining who to contact to get a replacement. Please note this is a random problem and only applies to dvds sent out in April all other dvds are the new production and are fine this includes any bought in a uk shop. can't tell you about distribution in any other country because this is down to Metal mind but again if you have a problem with what you have bought send it back to them!

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience this has caused some of you............  its has been a right royal cock-up!

Mick Pointer

Ps to answer your question about "Tarqin" when John Mitchell first joined the band Paul Wrightson was still in Arena and he found out the John had gone to Eton (the Posh school in England) and (I'm generalising) you find a lot of Tarquins there!
But we don't call him that any more.............

PH

Quote from: Mick on Wed, 2006-05-17, 12:44:40But we don't call him that any more.............
'Cause he didn't like it, yeah. I've read it in the biography! ;D
Cool to see you around here Mick! And now I know why John isn't here, he's afraid we'd give him names. :P
Of course that isn't the case, tell him Mick, you mouse! ;D
::)

Now is the time to buy this great DVD, I hope there are still Limited Editions left...

Stuart

Thanks Mick, I can only imagine how much a pain in the rear this has been for you guys. Nice that is is all sorted out now. My DVD will go back this week for replacement. It was in the first batch sent out, which explains now why some folks never noticed it.

PH

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/05/19/105044.php
^^
There's a review of this DVD. It's not a very good review as I can read from the first paragraph, but I haven't read the whole article yet. Besides that, sometimes it's good to see the critics on a DVD or CD. Pro's and con's is better than only pro's or only con's (in some way), because sometimes you have some sort of 'fanboys' who think everything is good from their beloved artist, while there can be said enough other things about.

Of course, that's hardly the case with Arena, because they're just plain amazing. 'nuff said.

saint_ade

Re: Out of Sync DVD:
Hi, I got my replacement DVD back from Metal Mind in the post this morning. Can't wait to get it home and watch it properly this time.
Anyone else had theirs back yet?
Ade

mdread666

mdread666

...for it is a human number,
It's number is six hundred and sixty six.

saint_ade

So I got mine home last night and tried it. And you know what...? It still ain't spot on, but its MUCH MUCH better than before. That tell-tale first drum of Bedlam Fayre is still a miniscule amount AHEAD of the sound, but it is barely noticeable apart from the drumming..maybe on a couple of intricate guitar solos and fast keyboard solos you can detect it as well.
I can't believe its my kit...Sony Bravia V series 40" and Sony DVD Recorder (only a couple of months old) and nothing else is out of sync. But the picture and sound are great, particularly using progressive scan.
I blame the Poles.... :P

Teunis

A review of the 'Smoke and Mirrors' DVD. It got the status 'DPRP recommended'.
Congratulations to the band.

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200634.php#arena
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: saint_ade on Thu, 2006-06-01, 15:18:27
So I got mine home last night and tried it. And you know what...? It still ain't spot on, but its MUCH MUCH better than before. That tell-tale first drum of Bedlam Fayre is still a miniscule amount AHEAD of the sound, but it is barely noticeable apart from the drumming..maybe on a couple of intricate guitar solos and fast keyboard solos you can detect it as well.
I can't believe its my kit...Sony Bravia V series 40" and Sony DVD Recorder (only a couple of months old) and nothing else is out of sync. But the picture and sound are great, particularly using progressive scan.
I blame the Poles.... :P
That's just because light travels faster than sound, try to sit closer to the screen :P
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Got it today! ;D
I'll check it out right away!

bellanova

I got my replacement dvd too a few weeks ago and it definately is still out of sync. I think it may be my dvd player but most dvds seem to be fine except this one and also "Caught In The Act". However it doesnt spoil the viewing too much. It just gets a bit frustrating on the close ups of John and Micks playing.

PH

Argh... that really sucks... So the problem still isn't solved...

I have seen my DVD and everything was alright... All in sync and the extra features were great!
(All 4 thumbs up, Arena!)

Just one thing; when you're 'browsing' through the DVD, the music is playing and starts again everytime you click on something... really annoying I think.

Ahh well, it's the best Live Concert on DVD that I've got! ;D