News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

PH's CD list

Started by PH, Tue, 2005-12-20, 07:53:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Appelmoes??

Your list is getting pretty impressive! *horns*
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2006-08-07, 14:55:49
Your list is getting pretty impressive! *horns*
Thanks, I thought so too! ;D
Although, my wallet gets less impressive...

PH

*Checks date of last addition*
7th of August....
Almost a month between then and now.

Anyway, my wallet and I went to the shop and the poor thing had to vomit some cash because I just NEEDED the Dream Theater Score DVD.
And then I bought the CD with it...

I hope my little wallet will ever forgive me, every once in the month that I feed him I take it away right before his eyes.
And after every CD/DVD I buy I feel guilty.

But I care for little Wallet, I promise (once again) that I won't buy anything this month!

Hey I've got a great idea! Let's make a deal! You guys (and girls) will sponsor me and give 1 euro a week. If I haven't bought anything between now and next month I'll double the amount and I'll give all the money to a charity fund!
If I have bought a CD/DVD before the 'deadline', I won't double it but (of course) still give it to a charity fund.
We only have to think of something that will help me not buying anything...

Appelmoes??

Here's another joke: Ok I will send you one euro every month! ;)

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Hey, don't you get it?
I'm a do-gooder.

;)

If you're also, you should do so as said in my description! ;)

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Ahem... :-[

Ayreon's The Final Experiment (Special Edition) and Dream Theater's Images And Words added...

PH

OK, I added some stuff today:

Genesis - And Then There Were Three
Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture
IQ - The Seventh House
IQ - Dark Matter
Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever

funkster

Great call with the IQ stuff PH , i have harvest of souls from Dark matter on now  :)

johninblack

Quote from: funkster on Thu, 2006-10-05, 17:45:20
Great call with the IQ stuff PH , i have harvest of souls from Dark matter on now  :)

i have that on in the car.

PH

And I've added some more! ;D

Because I'm almost turning 19 (Tuesday) I got a present from my parents today! :)

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (Expanded 2 Disc Edition)
Which comes with a DVD with 5.1 surround sound versions of the songs.
Problem is, it won't play the songs...
(I don't have a 5.1 surround set but it HAS to give SOME sound, or what?)

Anyway, the music is nice whatsoever. ;D

funkster

I missed your birthday by a bit mate  :-[ but glad you got a cool CD

The Pendragon one is excellent isnt it and once agaion i cannot recomend Tinyfish enough

PH

Kaipa - Kaipa
Kaipa - Inget Nytt Under Solen
Kaipa - Solo
Kaipa - Notes From The Past
Kaipa - Keyholder
Kaipa - Mindrevolutions
Spock's Beard - Octane
Spock's Beard - Spock's Beard
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere...
The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel (for only 10,00 euros!!!)

Peter

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2006-12-21, 11:33:00
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere...

Kewl, got that one, too. Experts at work.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

PH

Ok, it seems I forgot something to add.

A.C.T - Silence
and
Nolan & Wakeman - Jabberwocky (I have this one for four months already...)

Furthermore I've added some samplers.

PH

I added:

Spock's Beard - Snow (Special Edition)
Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura
Pure Reason Revolution (2 CD Version)
Stream Of Passion (Special Edition + Bonus DVD)
Ryo Okumoto - Winners Of The Heart (Single)

After 16 March you can expect more here! ;)

Nicky007

That was a very impressive list, PH, I really must say. Already beforehand, I had experienced that you know a lot about rock (out with one of my rare compliments, so enjoy it fully for a moment).

You think you could cut the list down to 20 groups, maybe even with fave albums ( ), in a provisionally prioritised order?

Thanks beforehand (and a cold beer from me next time (let's see, how many do we have on the list now?)), Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Thanks for the compliment!
Sure Nicky! I will make a top 20 of favourite bands with their best albums in my opinion.
But it would change every time! ;D

But here I go!

1. Arena ("Contagion". "Pepper's Ghost" and "The Visitor" share a second place, but to be honest I love all the albums and this is a temporary order of albums)
2. Genesis ("Selling England By The Pound" followed by either "Wind and Wuthering", "A Trick Of The Tail" or "Foxtrot")
3. Dream Theater ("Octavarium", followed by "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" and then "Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory")
4. Neal Morse (The whole catalog in backward order starting with "Sola Scriptura")
5. Porcupine Tree ("Fear Of A Blank Planet", then either "Deadwing" or "In Absentia", then either "Stupid Dream" or "The Sky Moves Sideways")
6. Kino ("Picture")
7. Frost ("Milliontown")
8. Ayreon ("The Human Equation")
9. Transatlantic ("A Bridge Across Forever")
10. A.C.T ("Last Epic", closely followed by "Silence")
11. Threshold ("Dead Reckoning")
12. Spock's Beard (Either "Spock's Beard" or "Octane" and then "Snow")
13. Nolan & Wakeman ("The Hound Of The Baskervilles" very quickly followed by "Jabberwocky")
14. IQ ("The Seventh House" and then "Dark Matter")
15. Muse ("Absolution")
16. Shadowland ("Ring Of Roses")
17. Pendragon ("The Maquerade Overture")
18. Blackfield ("Blackfield II")
19. Pure Reason Revolution ("The Dark Third")
20. OSI ("Free")

21. Satellite ("Evening Games")
(Just for the sake of it)

Looking back on that list I'm not really happy with it, 'cause I love them all actually.

Just take the top 5 of it and it's better, the rest is more equally.
But then I wouldn't do Kino and Frost justice.
Maybe a top 7 or so...

I dunno, don't really like top lists. ;) ;D

Nicky007

That _is_ a very impressive list, PH. I'm particularly impressed because of your tender age (ooh, too many compliments, I'm already beginning to feel ill).

Some of the groups, I don't know that well (Ayreon, Nolan & Wakeman, Shadowland, Pendragon, Pure Reason Revolution, OSI), but this gives me extra motivation to get to know them better.

On the other hand, I'm missing some of the GOPs (Grand Old Prog groups), but it's understandable that they haven't (yet) arrived on your list, as you didn't grow up with them, as I did. These are particularly Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin. (I know that many would not characterise Beatles as a prog group, but in my eyes, they're one of the most prog, as they started the whole rock project (Elvis and Cliff weren't yet rock).) It could seem surprising that Genesis made it to your list (even on top, which they certainly merit), and not the other three, but my guess is that you haven't yet listened taht much to the latter.

Floyd being one of the major influences of Arena (arguably _the_), I would think that they would be an obvious choice for you. I consider all their studio albums to be masterpieces (apart from the film soundtracks), but Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were here, and The Wall, are in my eyes the most lasting.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Thanks Nicky!
Pink Floyd is very good too, I just need to delve deeper into it's music, instead of discovering new bands. :D

And if you like Arena (and you do!) you NEEEEEEEED to listen to Nolan & Wakeman and Shadowland.
N&W is some sort of Ayreon (but you haven't listened to Ayreon yet, bugger...), it has Clive Nolan and Oliver (son of) Wakeman on keyboards. A lot of guest appearances, but Tracy Hitchings and Bob Catley are on both recordings.
If I'm not mistaken a third album is on the way (could be a while before release though) about Frankenstein(?).

Shadowland is Clive Nolan on keyboards AND VOCALS!!! Karl Groom on guitar. Ian Salmon on Bass.
To me it sounds like Arena Light. Arena No Sugar. Arena No Bubbles. It's Arena but in a stripped way.
You will like it I think.

Ayreon is Rock Opera. A whole lot of famous and favourite guest appearances (Fish (vocals), Damian Wilson (vocals), Clive Nolan (Keyboards), James LaBrie (vocals), Mikael Ackerfeldt (vocals))

Pure Reason Revolution is like Porcupine Tree (I think). Also some Pink Floyd influences. Overall, very clever music, a young band with a lot of talent, I'm very curious about a new release!

OSI is Kevin Moore, Mike Portnoy and Fates Warning guitarist, forgot his name. Guest appearance by Steven Wilson on the first release.
A lot say that the first is better than the second, but I like the second album more.
This band is heavily (heavenly) Moore influenced. Don't search for Dream Theater here.

Pendragon is like Marillion, with a mix of Arena (Nolan on keyboards) and the singer (which is Nick Barrett the guitarist) has a very clean and neat voice!

Check them out! ;)

Nicky007

> And if you like Arena (and you do!) you NEEEEEEEED to listen to Nolan & Wakeman and Shadowland.

I've ordered Jabberwocky. What can you recommend of Shadowland?

> but you haven't listened to Ayreon yet

Nope, but Human Equation is on its way from Amazon. I was long reserved about Ayreon, as I'm usually not so hot on groups where people come and go a lot. (But I guess with all you Flying Dutchmen in the Room, I gotta get to know Ayreon.)

> Pure Reason Revolution ....

Got em noted now.

Thanks for the other tips too.

I've just listened to Kamelot's Black Halo, but Kamelot don't do much for me. Not like SyX, who I really enjoy. It's funny, they're often compared, but I for me there's a world of a difference, SyX have that special: magic.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-05-14, 15:58:36I've ordered Jabberwocky. What can you recommend of Shadowland?
Well... all three of them!
But I think you better start with the first one which I think is the best: Ring Of Roses.
Maybe it's totally not your cup of tea, it has some pop influences and it's... well... I cannot really tell... But I like it anyway. Maybe you should hear some samples first.

And Jabberwocky is good! But if you don't like it, try The Hound Of The Baskervilles, it's heavier, a bit less "romantic", more depressive and aggressive.
And if you do like Jabberwocky, try The Hound too, you won't be disappointed anyway!

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-05-14, 15:58:36Nope, but Human Equation is on its way from Amazon. I was long reserved about Ayreon, as I'm usually not so hot on groups where people come and go a lot. (But I guess with all you Flying Dutchmen in the Room, I gotta get to know Ayreon.)

Ayreon is all about coming and going of people, but it's all centered around one man: the genius Arjen Anthony Lucassen. Somehow there's a certain atmosphere that every Ayreon album has. So, although every album's got other people on it, but it sounds strangely the same (same quality etc) as the other albums.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-05-14, 15:58:36I've just listened to Kamelot's Black Halo, but Kamelot don't do much for me. Not like SyX, who I really enjoy. It's funny, they're often compared, but I for me there's a world of a difference, SyX have that special: magic.

I agree totally! ;D Symphony X is soo much better. I especially like those segues in between songs. They're brilliant and of high quality. And the songs itself are of course also brilliant!
Have you heard the solo album of Michael Pinella? The keyboard player of Symphony X? I think it's genius!

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-05-14, 15:58:36

Nope, but Human Equation is on its way from Amazon. I was long reserved about Ayreon, as I'm usually not so hot on groups where people come and go a lot. (But I guess with all you Flying Dutchmen in the Room, I gotta get to know Ayreon.)

You definitely should give Ayreon a long try, nicky. I'm not really objective but it's marvellous.  :D

And not only because he's Dutch.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Bupie

For Ayreon, considering Nicky tastes, I would go with Into the Electric Castle first.

For Shadowland, I only know Ring of Roses and Through the Looking Glass but I consider the former much better, including a GREAT song : Jigsaw. Plus, TTLG reminds me of the worst album of my favorite band (hello Teunis, are you there ?).  >:(

But all of you, and PH first, should go and listen to The Reasoning right now !!!  *horns*

Teunis

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2007-05-15, 11:09:53
Plus, TTLG reminds me of the worst album of my favorite band (hello Teunis, are you there ?).  >:(
Yes, I'm here, why did you wake me up?  ;) I totolly agree here  ;D.

ITEC is a good start for Ayreon indeed, it was also my first Ayreon album, now I own them all  *horns*

The Reasoning? I will check them out.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)