News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

"Octane". New Spock's Beard album.

Started by Moonloop, Wed, 2005-01-26, 08:58:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonloop

Due on Monday. Anyone else waiting for this..??

Jury's still out for me on the Morse-less Beard, was quite happy with "Feel Euphoria" and also NM's solo albums but somehow feel that the spark from the old line up is missing on both counts.

Maybe the new one will settle the doubts - or raise new ones..!!

::)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

Spock's Beard are new to me; I have a colleague who owns 2 or 3 CDs. Maybe I'll give them a spin. Before reading lengthy reviews: what will I have to expect?
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Jez

Great band - seen them live on the last few tours and have all the albums which are all recommended.. I liked the last 'Feel Euphoria' and am waiting patiently for 'Octane' to arrive next week - should be good by all accounts.

Moonloop

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-01-26, 18:17:29
Spock's Beard are new to me; I have a colleague who owns 2 or 3 CDs. Maybe I'll give them a spin. Before reading lengthy reviews: what will I have to expect?

Hmm...difficult to say really, to me SB are a modern version of tracitional prog-rock. Elements of Yes, mid-period King Crimson, Genesis, ELP etc with a mix of lengthy 'epics' and shorter melodic numbers. A lot of the musical and vocal arrangements are quite complex and can take some time to get into, compared with Arena (whom they sound nothing like), the music is generally 'fuller' (and by that, I mean they tend to fill all the gaps and don't leave much room to catch your breath) and with perhaps more emphasis on the prog side (to me, Arena are becoming more 'rock' orientated).

Just re-read that and I don't think it'll help much  ::) , best advise I can give you is to simply listen one (first album "The Light" would be a good starter). Unlike Arena, the albums tend to be quite similar in style and so if you like or dislike one, it's highly probable that your opinion will be the same for the rest.

Be interesting to hear what you think.

Cheers  ;D

Draddi

Well, Moonloop, I didn't know, that SB had a new one coming. Lost my faith in them a little bit after them and Morse splitting up. I have kind of the same opinion, they belong together.
But to me, Morse's solo album was the Bomb. I loved it....
And Peter, remember the song "Distance to the Sun" ? That's SB. ok, I admit, this is not necessarily a good example for their general style, but well....

Moonloop

Well, I've given the new album a few spins now & still don't quite know what to make of it. It's very mellow (apart from one heavier Dream Theater type number) and is totally different (to me) than anything they've done before - doesn't even feel like a prog album at times, the 2nd track could almost have been done by Springsteen  :o

Still a good album mind, just NOT what I was expecting.

;D

gelert

...Just giving it my first listen, as we speak...er, so to speak, er....

...Initial impressions are, that after a HARD day at work, it's very "immediate", and very relaxing, even the "wierd" bits....

...and heavy reliance on the "gud 'ole melon-tro"...

...but is it a classic....?
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Draddi

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-02-07, 19:38:54
...Just giving it my first listen, as we speak...er, so to speak, er....

...Initial impressions are, that after a HARD day at work, it's very "immediate", and very relaxing, even the "wierd" bits....

...and heavy reliance on the "gud 'ole melon-tro"...

...but is it a classic....?
well, had no chance yet to listen to it, cause I am in prog desert here....you get Lacrimosa (can you imagine ?) here and of course the usual garbage like Britney Spears and Miss Aguilera (great, I typed the names, so now I have to clean my keyboard again...) but hardly any prog.

But well, the question I have, gelert, is, can you always expect a classic ?
Sometimes I have the impression, that in the past very good albums have not received the proper appreciation, because our expectations were way too high. You know, after a band has released a jaw-dropping milestone, we simply expect that to happen all the time, and we damn the artists, if they don't deliver.
And after a few years, we sort of grow into the album and like it....
I mean, this happens in many genres, but nowhere as much as in Prog, doesn't it ?
Of course, we expect Prog to progress and progress and progress, but isn't there a limit ? Do we want to end up with things like "Liquid Tension Experiment" (which is simply too sophisticated for me..) and being shy to admit, that in the quietness of our homes, we put in "When Dream and Day unite" and dream away to "The Killing Hand" ?

ok, now I think I have to make a few statements:
- I apologise, if I have offended Fans of LTE
- Yes, I like "The Killing Hand"...it was my first....(on a compilation called "Protect the Innocent") ;)
- I am no exception, see my recent comments on SB
- and finally yes, I should have posted that in the Metaphysical Section

....I better continue working.... ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-01-26, 18:17:29

Great music, Cap !!!

Start with their self-titled album - their latest, from 2006. That one is imo their best  8)

I think I just committed the greatest ever span in time between posts in the Room  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

Even better, you suggest to listen to an album that didn't exist when the question was asked ...  :)

Nicky007

Oops, you guys werent supposed to know that I'm clairvoyant  ;D

Since ya aint up to much music palaver these days, I have to invoke old ghosts  :D

Octane is great too  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me