News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

FROST

Started by PH, Fri, 2005-09-30, 08:29:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Jem

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2006-05-11, 21:57:59
There are two different coverartworks now.

I remember this one, which looks GREAT:

And now we have this one, which looks GREAT:

So, which is it gonna be Jem?

Sadly we had to ditch lightbulb man as he was too expensive. So we shot all our own stuff instead. I think it's looking pretty cool though. The CD booklet stuff is even better!  :)

I've got Paul Tippett to thank for the artwork. He did the Kino album last year and I think he's gone one better for Frost. IMO.

With regard to Pallas, there is some talk of us supporting them on their Autumn tour. Nothing definite yet though. Contracts and all that...

Then perhaps we'll work our way up to a few headline shows after that. I need to write a bit more of the next album first though or else our set'll be a bit short! ;)

Cheers all

Jem x

PH

Quote from: Jem on Fri, 2006-05-12, 10:04:27Sadly we had to ditch lightbulb man as he was too expensive. So we shot all our own stuff instead. I think it's looking pretty cool though. The CD booklet stuff is even better!  :)

It looks GREAT *horns*, and the stuff on your weblog is also great *horns*, I can't wait to see the full booklet!! ;D

Quote from: Jem on Fri, 2006-05-12, 10:04:27I've got Paul Tippett to thank for the artwork. He did the Kino album last year and I think he's gone one better for Frost. IMO.

The style is indeed somewhat the same as Kino's! Kino was Paul Tippett's first albumartwork right? He did a fine job on that, and now this absolutely wonderful artwork for Frost! Amazing!

Quote from: Jem on Fri, 2006-05-12, 10:04:27With regard to Pallas, there is some talk of us supporting them on their Autumn tour. Nothing definite yet though. Contracts and all that...

Pallas instead of IQ? Well, in that case I've got to get my dad into Pallas first. LOL. No matter with whom you'll be touring, I'll be at the Dutch Frost-gig, I can't wait!!!

Quote from: Jem on Fri, 2006-05-12, 10:04:27Then perhaps we'll work our way up to a few headline shows after that. I need to write a bit more of the next album first though or else our set'll be a bit short! ;)

Cheers all

Jem x

Ahhh yes, more stuff! 8)

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Jem on Fri, 2006-05-12, 10:04:27
Sadly we had to ditch lightbulb man as he was too expensive. So we shot all our own stuff instead. I think it's looking pretty cool though. The CD booklet stuff is even better!  :)

I've got Paul Tippett to thank for the artwork. He did the Kino album last year and I think he's gone one better for Frost. IMO.

With regard to Pallas, there is some talk of us supporting them on their Autumn tour. Nothing definite yet though. Contracts and all that...

Then perhaps we'll work our way up to a few headline shows after that. I need to write a bit more of the next album first though or else our set'll be a bit short! ;)

Cheers all

Jem x

Well, you have the pictures there already, why not use those?

...or is it the 'Pay If You Use It' policy...? :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Micha

Quote from: johninblack on Thu, 2006-05-11, 18:51:33

Telephone ??? This is a Police Box !!!!  ;)

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Micha on Sat, 2006-05-13, 03:07:41

That's how the telephone boxes in England used to look. :)

PH

Well, I was in London a year ago, and I saw a couple of those Telephone booths.

PH

By the way, when is Pallas gonna tour?
I've looked on their official site, but that's not very helpful...

maddox

That almost looks the same as Docter Who's ehm...transportation device.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Jem

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2006-05-13, 13:41:18
That almost looks the same as Docter Who's ehm...transportation device.  ;D

Oi!

Leave my Tardis alone! ;) I should point out that that's my Police Box. Pictured here in my snowy garden.

Don't ask how it got there! ;)...

maddox

Quote from: Jem on Sun, 2006-05-14, 21:53:45
[...]
Don't ask how it get there! ;)...

How did it got there?  ???

Sorry, couldn't resist.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

johninblack

Quote from: Jem on Sun, 2006-05-14, 21:53:45
Oi!

Leave my Tardis alone! ;) I should point out that that's my Police Box. Pictured here in my snowy garden.

Don't ask how it got there! ;)...

One can only assume that you woke up one day and there it was!

So you must know the Doctor really well to allow him to park his TARDIS in your garden. Met any Darleks or Cybermen yet?

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2006-05-13, 10:23:45
Well, I was in London a year ago, and I saw a couple of those Telephone booths.

Somebody has one of the old red telephone boxes in their garden near to where I live...

keyboardistmatt

There is one of these old police boxes outside of Earls Court tube station in London! *horns*

funkster

F##k me Jem , i didnt know you co-wrote Thats my goal and 3 , yes 3 , Atomic Kitten no 1s

What is a MAJORLY talented fella like you doing hanging round on here  ;)

Anyway , shock of finding a pop songwriting god almost over , when are the Frost tour dates being released.

And doesnt Andy like like a Timotei model in the pictures  ;D

Jem

Hello Funkster,

Why thank you :). it was only 2 A.K. number 1's though. I co-produced Holly Valance's Kiss Kiss track as well, that went to number 1, but nobody ever remembers that one! :D

Anyway, gigs! Yes there are some dates appearing, only support slots for now. We haven't got enough songs for a full set yet...

I'm not allowed to reveal what they are yet though. There'll be lots of info on the shiny new Frost website which will launch in a couple of weeks time (ish) ;)

Lastly, you leave The Boy Edwards alone!, he's a delicate flower and it took him ages to get his hair right.  ;D ;D

funkster

Lest we forget he is a brummie as well  :D

I will accept a Holly in place of a Kitten which sounds dangerously close to fantasy land  ;)

Looking forward to the album mate , should be a cracker.

Make sure JJJ doesnt wear that dubious stockings and suspenders get up on tour either  ;D my vomit surpressors may fail  :o

Jem

Yes indeedy. Holly everytime.  :-*

funkster

So Mr Godfrey , it is an Ivor Novello award as well eh  :)

I am sure that all the forum members will echo my words

For he's a jolly good fellow and so say all of us  8)

Hurrah for Jem

JJ II

Hip-hip-hooray!

I've got a question for you Jem. On the downloads I heared so far, John sings with a somewhat distorted voice. To be very honest, I think he has a great voice without effects, so what made you decide to use these effects?

PH

Congrats indeed! ;)

So what for should we be on the lookout? Pallas or IQ?
I want to make a schedule, because I want to go to Frost, Stream Of Passion, Kino, Arena etcetera etcetera...

Pallas' website isn't very informative, but where can I find tourdates for Pallas?

johninblack

johninblack

If you can't be bothered to sign up and wait Jem said:

Hi all, these are the dates in the book so far. More to follow.

Jem x

Frost gigs 2006

Thursday 12 October: Germany, Essen, Zeche Carl with Pallas
Address: Wilhelm Mieswandt Allee 100, 45326 Essen
Tel: 00 49 201 8344410
Web: www.zechecarl.de

Friday 13 October: Holland, Helmond Plato with Pallas
Address: Molenstraat 123 Helmond 5701 KB
Tel: 00 31 492 - 599.293
Web: www.poppodiumplato.nl

Saturday 14 October: Holland, Cultuurpodium Boerderij, Zoetermeer: Prog Passion Festival
Address: Amerikaweg 145?2717 AV Zoetermeer??
Tel: 00 31 79 321 10 12
Web: http://www.boerderij.org/

Sunday 15 October: Germany, Sinkkasten with Pallas
Address: Brönnerstr. 5-9, 60313 Frankfurt/Main
Tel: 00 49 180 50 40 30 0
Web: http://www.sinkkasten-frankfurt.de/index20060531.html

Saturday 11 November: England, Classic Rock Society's Winter Rockfest 06 with 10 Acre, Plackband and Galahad
Address: TBA
Web: www.classicrocksociety.net

PH

Quote from: johninblack on Tue, 2006-05-30, 19:23:46
If you can't be bothered to sign up and wait Jem said:

Hi all, these are the dates in the book so far. More to follow.

Jem x

Frost gigs 2006

Thursday 12 October: Germany, Essen, Zeche Carl with Pallas
Address: Wilhelm Mieswandt Allee 100, 45326 Essen
Tel: 00 49 201 8344410
Web: www.zechecarl.de

Friday 13 October: Holland, Helmond Plato with Pallas
Address: Molenstraat 123 Helmond 5701 KB
Tel: 00 31 492 - 599.293
Web: www.poppodiumplato.nl

Saturday 14 October: Holland, Cultuurpodium Boerderij, Zoetermeer: Prog Passion Festival
Address: Amerikaweg 145?2717 AV Zoetermeer??
Tel: 00 31 79 321 10 12
Web: http://www.boerderij.org/

Sunday 15 October: Germany, Sinkkasten with Pallas
Address: Brönnerstr. 5-9, 60313 Frankfurt/Main
Tel: 00 49 180 50 40 30 0
Web: http://www.sinkkasten-frankfurt.de/index20060531.html

Saturday 11 November: England, Classic Rock Society's Winter Rockfest 06 with 10 Acre, Plackband and Galahad
Address: TBA
Web: www.classicrocksociety.net

THANKS A LOT!!! ;D

Jem

Quote from: JJ II on Sat, 2006-05-27, 16:56:23
Hip-hip-hooray!

I've got a question for you Jem. On the downloads I heared so far, John sings with a somewhat distorted voice. To be very honest, I think he has a great voice without effects, so what made you decide to use these effects?

Good question JJ II, in production terms, John's voice untreated just didn't fit in to what the track was doing at that point. Black Light Machine is about television and I wanted to give the impression that the voice was coming out of a crackly old analogue TV. A bit blurred and flickering. I love to experiment with sound and I don't hold the human voice as so sacred that it can't be messed about with. I was always inspired by how Gabriel used his voice so creatively, he could take it from emotional to absolutely frightening. Most of the time he did it with effects and I'm very much the same. I treat the voice just as I would a guitar, sometimes you have to shove it through a whole bunch of distortion or degredation to get it to sound "right". There are more 'normal' bits of vocal on Milliontown, but there's also extremely effectd bits. Light and shade I guess. Just to have an untreated voice singing an hour's worth of music would get a bit boring for me. It might as well be just an accoustic guitar and a folk singer :) I'm going to be experimenting with my voice too when we go out live. I've got a TC Helicon Vocal processor which my microphone will pass through before it gets to the mixing desk. I've got pitch shifters, bit crushers, formant shifters, a vocoder...loads of interesting possibilities. Should be very interesting I hope.

JJ II

Interesting approach, though I tend to disagree with you on the comparison of a guitar with the human voice. Of course you could say both are instruments, but personally I think a voice says a lot more about a person than the equipment he's working with (a guitar, for example).

I see what you say about contrast, it works very well e.g. in Arena's Mea Culpa, where the moment when Rob comes in with his REAL voice is one of the most stunning moments. On the other hand: the effected vocals in that track are not half as emotional as the second part. My point was: this kind of a change doesn't happen in BLM, so the contrast is lacking...

For some reason, with these treated vocals (and I don't mean just bits for effects, but when it's all the way) I always think 'well, (s)he probably can't sing'. This happens a lot with the modern top of the pops material, but it was done with Madonna in the 80's as well.
Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I tend to find real voices more personal than effected ones. They touch me more. Especially in John's case, for example in the end of Losers Day Parade or in Picture...

Anyhow: it was my only minor comment on the track I heared, because I liked it very much overall.