News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dreamtheater

Started by POM, Thu, 2005-08-11, 08:57:00

Previous topic - Next topic

POM

What do you think about them?

I just LOVE the new album "Octovarium"!  Not at the first listening (as often when I listen to prog' rock, I have to listen to new album a few times before going "in" it)

Just saw yesterday they're planning a "Fall Tour" accross Europe. They come here in Belgium, and this time I'm going to see them. ("this time", because the last time they came, I let my boyfriend go alone 'cose I was still a bit "afraid" about their style, and the 3 hours show!!!!)

Peter

This year, 21.10. to be exact, will be my first DT gig. I also like "Octavarium" a lot. I also bought "Live at Budokan" after listening to it at a friend's. They sure must be great live.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

POM

I'll tell you what it's like 'cose the gig for me will be on October 12!  ;)

"The answer lies within" is my favorite... so good, and the lyrics are so true!

Appelmoes??

Dream Theater is one of my fav bands. The first time I heard them was when a friend played Scenes from a memory. Later I bought that album and soon all other albums. Still my fav is sfam, but the new album is great too. I really like the last song, Octavarium. Especially the beginning instrumental part. I think the song sounds sometimes a little Ayreonesk.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

erik

Dream Theater are great!!  I really admire what they do. Have all their albums except the debut When Day And Dream Unite. My favourites are 1) Scenes From A Memory 2) Awake 3) Train Of Thought.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

Well, I can't get used to their music. Though I'm a real prog lover, THE bands they always mention as the top of prog, like Dream Theater and Marillion, can't impress me. It's a matter of taste like always. Sorry that I spoil your positive messages  ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

erik

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2005-08-11, 21:16:40
Well, I can't get used to their music. Though I'm a real prog lover, THE bands they always mention as the top of prog, like Dream Theater and Marillion, can't impress me. It's a matter of taste like always. Sorry that I spoil your positive messages  ;).
Don't apologise, everyone's a critic ( of "over smaak valt niet te twisten" zoals we in NL zeggen). But when you say the THE bands always mentioned as the top of prog can't impress you, do you mean absolutely none of them?? :o Not Genesis, Yes, Floyd, really none of the big ones??  :o

Marillion is a complicated topic of course (personally, I really like the currrent Marillion), but surely Script For A Jester's Tear and Misplaced Childhood are classics and you can draw a straight line from Script.. to Songs.., which is after all Mick's "second album"!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

Quote from: erik on Thu, 2005-08-11, 21:27:22
But when you say the THE bands always mentioned as the top of prog can't impress you, do you mean absolutely none of them?? :o Not Genesis, Yes, Floyd, really none of the big ones??  :o
Genesis with Phil Collins was ok. Yes and Floyd have songs I like (mostly singles), but their albums annoy me, with the exception of 'Dark side of the moon' and 'I wish you were here'. 

Moonloop

Must say I'm enjoying the new one much more than their other recent albums. Has a bit more variety to it and seems a bit more 'prog' rather than just trying to play fast and complex for the sake of it.  :)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Stuart

I saw DT live at the Astoria in London a couple of years ago and was blown away. For sheer musicianship they excel in every member of the band and it is a joy to watch. The DVD "Live at the Budokan" is a good alternative if you can't catch them live, with some nice additional sections where Jordan gives a tour of his keyboard setup, and John of his guitar effects rig. Favourite DT album is still Scenes From a Memory.

maddox

:)On october the 11, i will see DT. for the fourth time. This time in Amsterdam. I am anxious to see which classic album will be entirely played. Any sugestions? Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime would be nice.

Anyone???

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2005-08-16, 21:42:51
... which classic album will be entirely played.
pretty cool they do that 8)

My drawings on MySpace

POM

Maddox: you're going at the second night they'll play in Amsterdam?

In Brussel, as it is a single date, they will play only DT.  ;)

maddox

yep, the second night. searched the web for some clues, but nope. nothing to be found...

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

POM

I was listening to "Scene from a Memory" all the past week, in my car.

Just tooooooooooooo good!  ;D

Herben

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2005-08-11, 21:16:40
Did You also try Threshold their really great
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Herben

Quote from: erik on Thu, 2005-08-11, 21:27:22
Marillion is a complicated topic of course (personally, I really like the currrent Marillion), but surely Script For A Jester's Tear and Misplaced Childhood are classics and you can draw a straight line from Script.. to Songs.., which is after all Mick's "second album"!
Maybe an idea to let Arena do the album Script for a Jesters Tear, Fish had done just Recently Misplace Childhood. In a way Script for a Jesters Tear could have been a Arena album

Teunis

Quote from: Herben on Wed, 2005-09-21, 22:21:16
Did You also try Threshold their really great
Yes, I bought the album 'Wounded land' and I like it very much!

Herben

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2005-09-22, 18:52:52
Yes, I bought the album 'Wounded land' and I like it very much!
I also like Critical Mass and Hypothetical very much

Vanderwoude

I think Dream Theater makes very good music, but on many of their songs, the emotions are really strange, in a very special way dramatic. But with Octavarium DT made a lot of progress. The emotions on this album are a bit like the ones from the music of Muse. But DT's music is more progressive I think.
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

PH

I think Dream Theater is very good!!
I myself had a personal Dream Theater experience last weekend... --> I listened to Dream Theater the whole weekend and was totally converted.

Vanderwoude, I think you're right about the dramatic way of singing... I listened to the song "Never Enough" on Octavarium. And LaBrie sings very scary. :o

I really like the epic "Octavarium" on Octavarium.

Moonloop

Just picked up the "Live at the Budokan" 3CD set for £3 in Fopp Records in Manchester. Bargain of the century, surely  ;D

I may even play it somtime in the next 6 months  ;)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Vanderwoude

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2005-10-04, 08:21:57
I really like the epic "Octavarium" on Octavarium.

I listened to it this afternoon, and indeed, it's beautiful. It also has got a really good climax.
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

PH

Quote from: Vanderwoude on Wed, 2005-10-05, 16:00:13
I listened to it this afternoon, and indeed, it's beautiful. It also has got a really good climax.

Trapped inside this octavarium!

And then the horns (I think it's keyboard generated).
But the flute on the end spoils it a bit I think.
It should end a bit more like Moviedrome.

Appelmoes??

Like Beavis would say:
"Scream! Scream!! Ghehe!! Scream!
Ghehehe, cool!"

I like the first part of octavarium, the instrumental part. It reminds me of Ambeon.

My drawings on MySpace