News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Aliped

Started by keyboardistmatt, Sun, 2005-07-24, 13:24:51

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardistmatt

After much deliberating, and a brief chat with Clive, I have decided to put up this here post. 

A bit of background info...

I have been playing keyboards since I started teaching myself more than 15 years ago.  When I went to Bournemouth & Poole college back in 1999, I discovered that if I really wanted to, I could write my own music.

In 2002 while at college doing a second course, I found the college's lovely, but old and run-down Rhodes 73, with various faults, broken keys, and suchlike.  I took the opportunity to bring this old piano back to life, so to speak, as I was doing a BTEC Music Technology course, and it might be good for me.  I ordered the relevant parts, and did a great job on it, if I do say so myself! ;)

For this, Knighton Heath Music Centre (where we were based) paid for the parts, and gave me free studio time.  Nice!

Meanwhile, I was already recording a few songs using Cubase VST, my keyboard rig (relatively small at the time!), an ADAT recorder and a Tascam 4-track recorder.  This was partly for a coursework assignment, and partly for my own pleasure, and benefit of learning even more.
I thought it would be nice to have a CD of my own songs that I have written over a couple of years, which I could take home, and was intended as such.

I was told by a lecturer (also and engineer and established musician) that "There is no reason why you cant write, record and sell your music right now..."  I thought about it, and out of curiosity passed my web address to some random people one Saturday night at a rock nightclub I go to in Bournemouth.
My website had three of my songs on it, and the following week, had 5 people approach me saying "You're keyboardistmatt, I listened to your songs on your website - they're really good!"

And so, I managed to sell 5 copies of my CD (with artwork done by me as well...!).

More recently in the 2nd year of the BTEC course, I used that free studio time to record a second CD, using Pro Tools, Cubase VST, etc... with the help of some friends... (I can't play guitar or drums y'see...) the results of which I am rather proud!

So, currently on my website, there are 2 tracks available for download... 1 from each CD.
These two appear to be quite popular within my 'friends and family circuit', so I thought I'd share them with you.  I'd like to get everybody's opinion of these tracks -tell me what you think.
As I said, I had a brief chat with Clive about one of the tracks, and he set my mind at ease... -Thanx again Clive!

My own critisism has to be my mixing skills... there's next to no mixing skill!!  So the vocals sound weak most of the time. 
Also, I'm not sure we've found an identity yet but that will take time.

http://www.geocities.com/keyboardistmatt  :-\
Thanx everyone!

Oh, one other thing... I'm not the best singer...
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Peter

I suppose you want to hear the truth, so don't be mad at me, okay.

Nice work, Matt! Now find someone who can really sing ( :P ) .... harhar

Two Worlds Collide sounded a bit like Witch Hunt during the first seconds :) I find it could use one or two interludes with the piano or so.

W.o.o.N. has a nice drive to it. The "doing doing doing" keyboard starting at 1:30 or so sounds a bit too... well... like from one of my son's kinder-CDs, if you know what I mean.

You can be proud to be able what you did, so all that's left to me is listening and telling you what I hear.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

keyboardistmatt

Thanx for your comments, Peter! :)

I never thought abut the 'doing doing doing' keyboards before... I may need to do some sound editing... ;) ;D

I'm not mad at you, there would be no reason for me to be mad.  I am simply looking at what others have to say, and next time I record, I can use those comments to improve my music more.

As for the singing, each time I do a new CD, it takes me ages to get used to my own voice! ;)

Thanx again for your comments, much appreciated! :)

ANYBODY ELSE? ...PLEASE...? :-\

Simtere

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Mon, 2005-07-25, 14:04:23
ANYBODY ELSE? ...PLEASE...? :-\

Notwithstanding the points already made the basic tracks themselves are competent enough but in my opinion the music sounds very Neo-Prog and lacking that something special that gives it an identity of it's own.  In the early 80's I would probably have been a lot more  impressed by this type of thing, but to be honest it sounds somewhat dated now.

Resolving the issues you are already aware of would certainly help a lot. 

Despite my criticsms it's way better than anything I could achieve - stick with it!!

keyboardistmatt

Thanx dude!

I am taking this on board, so that I can address it for the next one! ;)

Diablos_Bassist

man u know i have both albums,
                                                They're great i have them on when i'm at work oftern.

Your mixing will improve, the bass is alittle on the quiet side.

The vocals are good but it's sung a little flat. I also sing a bit flat but i have been told as you sing higher the flatness starts to go and it sound's much better. so try to stay away from the low stuff. when u get to the low stuff it's better if you speek more than sing.

Most of the 'keys' are too loud and somtimes that can stop the song from being together and can sound split or overpowering. Try maybe more reverb on the guitar, that'll make a difference i'm shore.

I really like it man and i can't wait to have a jam with u and hopfully do some live stuff. let's sort out that soon dude!!!

Shawn K
why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly...

PH

I'm listening to 'Way Out Of Nowhere', and I wish I could do something like that.
The singing is okay I think, but it is indeed too loud and the "Aaahhh" and "Ooohhh" should be more in the background. :)
I can't say that much about it, cause I can't play anything at all.

I can say one thing:

I'm impressed.

Appelmoes??

First a little comment on listening to your own voice back on tape. It always sounds different than when you hear it yourself while speaking/singing.

I first listened to "Two worlds Collide". It has a good drive, nice rhythm (What a weird word...) I think the music is good, taking in account the recording conditions. About the lyrics I can't tell you much because I can't follow all of it. Maybe some lyrics on your site? The singing? Well you said it yourself, so that needs no comments from me ;)
In short I think it a good song, well done! I think you just need to shave off the edges by taking a good singer and try to get in here ;)

Same goes for "Way out of Nowhere", the poing part is funny :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2005-10-06, 22:47:20
In short I think it a good song, well done! I think you just need to shave off the edges by taking a good singer and try to get in here ;)

Ha! :D  That would be wonderful!

I'll think about a professional master for the next one. ;D

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Diablos_Bassist on Thu, 2005-10-06, 18:12:02
The vocals are good but it's sung a little flat. I also sing a bit flat but i have been told as you sing higher the flatness starts to go and it sound's much better. so try to stay away from the low stuff. when u get to the low stuff it's better if you speek more than sing.

That's why there will be a Vocalist when I finally get around to pulling all this together! :)

Ta Dude! ;)

Appelmoes??

Listening to those QNA-samples made me wonder: Any news from your music KBM?

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

No, not at the moment.  I've got alot on my plate just now, with various financial difficulties, christmas and the like.  I have only recently started writing again.  I haven't felt very creative, you see!

When I have any news I'll probably post it on the KBM/Aliped website.  I've got some stuff to put on there actually...! :)

Appelmoes??

You tell us, on your site, that there are downloads, but when I go there... No downloads :'(

(Any news?)

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

Err, yeah, I took them off in order to save some disk space, and because I am currently experimenting with some software for cutting up MP3 files.  The idea is to put a short snippet of every song on the site instead of 2 full songs.  That should save some space! ;)