News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Beatles

Started by Nicky007, Sun, 2015-06-14, 15:53:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

2015 sees the 50-year anniversary of Rubber Soul, the beginning of rock, and prog, which is the true nature of rock (just like with everything else good that gets popular, it gets washed out), as I see it.

Each official Beatles album from the mid-sixties on was a revolution. It was exciting to experience the release of a new Beatles album.

Several other great rock groups emerged at the time, but Beatles were the pioneers *horns*

So guys, raise your glasses to celebrate this anniversary :)

The Room has been rather quiet lately. Let's have a discussion on this groundbreaking group ....

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Here's what Wikipedia says about Rubber Soul - my boldface:

In mid-October 1965, the Beatles entered the recording studio; for the first time when making an album, they had an extended period without other major commitments. Released in December, Rubber Soul has been hailed by critics as a major step forward in the maturity and complexity of the band's music. Their thematic reach was beginning to expand as they embraced deeper aspects of romance and philosophy. Biographers Peter Brown and Steven Gaines attribute the new musical direction to "the Beatles' now habitual use of marijuana", an assertion confirmed by the band – Lennon referred to it as "the pot album", and Starr said: "Grass was really influential in a lot of our changes, especially with the writers. And because they were writing different material, we were playing differently." After Help!‍ '​s foray into the world of classical music with flutes and strings, Harrison's introduction of a sitar on "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" marked a further progression outside the traditional boundaries of popular music. As their lyrics grew more artful, fans began to study them for deeper meaning. Of "Norwegian Wood" Lennon commented: "I was trying to be sophisticated in writing about an affair ... but in such a smokescreen way that you couldn't tell."

While many of Rubber Soul‍ '​s more notable songs were the product of Lennon and McCartney's collaborative songwriting, it also featured distinct compositions from each, though they continued to share official credit. The song "In My Life", of which each later claimed lead authorship, is considered a highlight of the entire Lennon–McCartney catalogue. Harrison called Rubber Soul his "favourite album" and Starr referred to it as "the departure record". McCartney has said, "We'd had our cute period, and now it was time to expand." However, recording engineer Norman Smith later stated that the studio sessions revealed signs of growing conflict within the group – "the clash between John and Paul was becoming obvious", he wrote, and "as far as Paul was concerned, George could do no right". In 2003, Rolling Stone ranked Rubber Soul fifth among "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time", and AllMusic's Richie Unterberger describes it as "one of the classic folk-rock records".

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

OK, you guys don't have a clue. Here goes:

"The Beatles were an English rock band that formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the greatest and most influential act of the rock era. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several genres, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements in innovative ways. In the early 1960s, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania", but as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, they came to be perceived as an embodiment of the ideals shared by the era's sociocultural revolutions...."

- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles

Yaknow, rock didn't start with Arena ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can