News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Afterlife?

Started by Constable Hogweed, Fri, 2005-03-11, 01:30:02

Previous topic - Next topic

creme anglais

Well Noel Coward said.....
"Of course there are no guarentees that the next life will be any less exasperating than this one"

I do believe in an afterlife, and come to that a previous one (or two...) however by the time we find out the truth I guess it will be far to late to post on the forum and let you know the definitive answer!!! ;D

gelert

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sat, 2005-04-16, 16:53:55
It's easy to believe in a Creator when life is going smoothly, but tis a much harder thing to have faith when everything  seems to be going wrong around us.  But ironically, that's when we have the greatest need for something to believe in.
Interesting observation...I've always found it to be the other way around...easy to pray and ask for help when the tiot has hit the fan...but when everything is running smoothly, doesn't one tend to forget to "thank" whatever deity one believes in...?
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Melo

Quote from: kmorse on Sat, 2005-04-16, 17:43:59
Melo,

I'll pose you this question: From where do you derive your sense of right and wrong?

Xantuary,

Man is an animal - and has an instinct just as all animals do about what is right for "the pack".  A code of laws developed from this instinct. The code of laws were attributed to god - but are really just sensible guidelines to allow man to live in the pack. My sense of right and wrong stems from that; as does yours. We are not born with it - we learn it along the way.

BillBoh1971

My first post here (take it for what it's worth)... ;)

First of all i'm an atheist. Personally i don't believe in a god or a higher being, but since i can't prove my stance i leave the question open. About religion: i'm tempted to follow Melo's arguments but i can't agree completely. To me religion is not completely evil; it's just very paradoxal. Someone mentioned Jesus (one of my "idols" or "examples" i must admit) had problems with religion. I think that is very true. If he would live in our own society, some religious people would probably kill him again. That's why i think religion is paradoxal, but not completely evil (Jesus and people who really walk in his footstep aren't IMO).

Personally i don't practise religion, and i don't ever feel the need to do so (on the contrary). But i can understand some people do, and - as long as they leave other people free in their choice to practise or not to practise a religion - i don't see anything evil in it. The fact catholic church doesn't allow women to become priests for example: i think it's their own business. Personally i don't care if they think so, but that's reason enough for me to choose not to be "part of the club". The stance of catholic church about condoms and thus the spreading of HIV is worse: here they're interfering with people's personal life and death, and that's truly evil IMO (and in fact none of their business).

I agree completely with one thing Melo said though:
QuoteMan is an animal
Yeah, we all seem to forget that sometimes... ;D

Melo

Well, well, well if it ain't me darling Bill??? Now when in all these years have you agreed me with completely???  ;D

BillBoh1971

Quote from: Melo on Sun, 2005-04-17, 22:32:23
Well, well, well if it ain't me darling Bill??? Now when in all these years have you agreed me with completely???  ;D
LOL ... i can't remember. ;D

BillBoh1971

But about the initial question...

Personally i believe an afterlife is very possible, and maybe even probable. Near-death experiences suggest there could be something afterlife. How on earth can someone giving very detailed descriptions of something while being in a coma? OK, for noises, smells ... but for the colour of a dress while the patient's eyes are closed??

Many well-documented scientifical research has been done on near-death experiences and - so far - no proof has ever been given of an afterlife (since nobody has ever returned from there), but some people's stories are so fascinating and so detailed i personally think there must be at least something. Obviously IF there is something, it must be a one-way ticket.

gelert

Quote from: BillBoh1971 on Sun, 2005-04-17, 22:16:49
Personally i don't practise religion

Practise, practice...let's call the whole thing off...   ;D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Xanxtuary

Quote from: gelert on Sun, 2005-04-17, 19:54:54
Interesting observation...I've always found it to be the other way around...easy to pray and ask for help when the tiot has hit the fan...but when everything is running smoothly, doesn't one tend to forget to "thank" whatever deity one believes in...?

What I meant was that when our faith is tested, ie, our lives don't run smoothly, then  we are tempted to think that there isn't a God, or that he/she's not listening to us.  And also true that when things are all happy and jolly, we all too often do forget to be thankful for what we have.  So both statements are valid really.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Melo

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-04-24, 14:28:50
What I meant was that when our faith is tested, ie, our lives don't run smoothly, then  we are tempted to think that there isn't a God, or that he/she's not listening to us.  And also true that when things are all happy and jolly, we all too often do forget to be thankful for what we have.  So both statements are valid really.

I find it difficult to relate to, am afraid.

DigitalDream

Hi,

i think there is a afterlife  ;) hhhmmmm take a look at my Renderosity Page there is a Picture called EndofLife
this is my vision from the End of our Life  ;D

Regards

DigitalDream

Peter

Quote from: DigitalDream on Wed, 2005-05-25, 13:38:50
Hi,

i think there is a afterlife  ;) hhhmmmm take a look at my Renderosity Page there is a Picture called EndofLife
this is my vision from the End of our Life  ;D

In that case, it'd be better not to have an afterlife, right...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

oddball

The term "afterlife" suggests that are only two lifes: a llfe and an afterlife. Sorry, but that seems to be pure nonsense. Either you are a materialist and do only believe in what you can see or touch or  you believe that this world is spiritual world. Either way there's no room for an afterlife. Religion, in my opinion, is a barrier in your mind, something that stops you in midflight. There are no gods, neither Christian, Islamic or whatever. But from the experiences I've made I can ruled out that this world is material. All of our greatest philosophers will agree.  I summon Plato, Kant, (the much underrated) Schopenhauer, Wittgenstein, Lao-zi and Chuang-zi as witnesses. They all more or less agreed that we make up this world in our minds, it has no reality of itself. Edgar Allan Poe, the greatest poet that has ever lived, put it this way: All that we seem or see / is but a dream within a dream.
Cheers
There's really nothing to achieve

Xanxtuary

I kind of get where Oddball is coming from, although I do believe in the concept of an afterlife. 

In a way, since each person perceives the universe, themself and all related memories from a unique view point, everyone does create their own version of the world.  That's why an incident can be re-told by two different people and each account of the same incident will vary according to who's story we listen to.

Linking up with Oddball's thread on the media, there's another example.  One publication's reporting of an incident may focus on a different angle to another. Tis all part of the same kind of thing, human experience in its richness and variety.

So who's to say which view of the world is right?  The answer is there is no correct point of  view, or they are all correct.  Tis the same thing really! 
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Saryna

I thought this thread was going to possibly be about the song 'In my Afterlife' from  our favorite lead singer from Dream Theatre!    It is indeed a great song!  I always have to play it twice when I play it. :-*

My feelings are pretty much along the lines of Xantuary's, Melo's and some others.  There is SOMETHING after this life.  Energy begats energy.  Life is energy.  The only thing is, human's are the only creatures on the planet who do not live in harmony with nature. Extremly controlling and so fearful of being out of control that they have to manufacture a belief system of what an after death would be, and of course that God would be in human form.  With warnings of unbelievers loseing their ticket into heaven.

Anyway, yes, there is something, but I'd rather leave it up for nature's interpretation and keep an open mind about what it will be.  I do feel however that there are other beings than us out there in the universe.  That is for sure.  Not because I believe it, but I feel it.  Not to mention there is so much evidence that would point to the possibility.

Vanderwoude

I think there are many questions that we can't answer (yet), maybe there is something 'above' but there are to few clues to let your life be influenced by that possibility.
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

Appelmoes??

@vdWoude: But not everybody thinks that the "clues" are just that and are certaily not few.

@Saryna: I don't believe that God has a human form, or anything like that. It's just that people have to identify with God somehow, and since we're human, we compare God to us. (Shame english isn't my native tongue, I can't really explain what I mean :( )

(And Charlie Dominici is NOT my fav. DT singer :) But that for another topic :D)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Vanderwoude

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-10-05, 16:22:24
@vdWoude: But not everybody thinks that the "clues" are just that and are certaily not few.

@Saryna: I don't believe that God has a human form, or anything like that. It's just that people have to identify with God somehow, and since we're human, we compare God to us. (Shame english isn't my native tongue, I can't really explain what I mean :( )

My English isn't to good to, but it'll do.

That's why you can't really relie on 'clues,' they are different for everybody. (I haven't had weird experiences or things like that, but not all of my questions are answered yet) And the clues that I know, never give a precise direction. I was raised in a christian enviroment, but I thought about it many times and I came to the conclusion that it's not a very moral system to treat people, especially in the light of judgement day. A discussion about this subject shouldn't do much good I think, as I already stated in the topic 'beliefs' I opened. (I have to say, christianity is a belief that does a lot more good than harm.)

I think when people think about the question if there is something above there, they always think of something intelligent, and because humans are intelligent to, (sort of  ;D) they tend to think of a god that is like us. But I keep the possibility of other intelligent lifeforms in the universe open, and maybe they look very different than we do, so a god could look different to.
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

Appelmoes??

Still, I see your clues as signs. And while I'm on the road, I can't see my journeys end. I will only see it when I get there. I just keep on following the signs given to me as best as I can and believe that they will lead me to the place I want to be. (The afterlife.)

Since we are all different we al get different signs and we all interpret those signs differently. That's why there are different beliefs even within christianity there are a lot of differences.

But this is getting waaaay offtopic ;)

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-10-05, 22:08:13But this is getting waaaay offtopic ;)
But Reaaallly interesting too. ;)
What Christianity you're from Appelmoes??
I'm "Christelijk Gereformeerd".

Okay maybe we should get back on topic indeed. :D

Saryna

Applemoes.....Who is Charlie D?  I was talking about James LaBrie. :)

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-10-05, 22:08:13

Since we are all different we al get different signs and we all interpret those signs differently. That's why there are different beliefs even within christianity there are a lot of differences.

But this is getting waaaay offtopic ;)

I agree with what you are saying, Appelmoes.  And even though English is not your native language I think you put ideas in a very understandable way so I wouldn't worry about that.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Angel-of-Music

Well I for one believe in God, and therefore Heaven and Hell. I may be one of the few, but mind you, the Bible says that a lot of people won't believe.... Anyho, its not a matter of "good guy, bad guy"; its about whether you know what you do is wrong, and honestly are sorry for it, and try to live a better life.

But wouldn't it be kinda funny if Death came up to you and said, "ERM, EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU READY NOW?" like in Terry Pratchett!  ;D

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Angel-of-Music on Sat, 2005-12-24, 18:34:57
But wouldn't it be kinda funny if Death came up to you and said, "ERM, EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU READY NOW?" like in Terry Pratchett!  ;D
Death in The Sims 2 is funny to. He has a mobile phone, and after someone dies, he makes a call up to check if someone has been good or bad ;D

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sat, 2005-12-24, 19:57:16
Death in The Sims 2 is funny to. He has a mobile phone, and after someone dies, he makes a call up to check if someone has been good or bad ;D

And after that, calling for a taxi upstairs?  ;D

Well, i'm not a religious type of guy (not officially that is), but i think that there's more that just this. Maybe it's a thought that soothes the soul, but i can't imagine that after heart stops, it's simply over.

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.