News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Blind Guardian

Started by funkster, Thu, 2010-04-29, 11:49:29

Previous topic - Next topic

funkster

I have heard this lot mentioned on here a few times and i am intrigued

Are they any good and where is best for a newcomer to start ?

Bupie

Actually, I think I am the only one who spoke about them. I guess Deenfan could tell many things too but he should have to pay a visit in the Room first  :-X

But I figured that, as a big metal fan, you would know them.

Frankly, I find them really good and I have listened to all their albums at the exception of the first two because of poor reviews.

My picks for a start would be the double CD Live of 2003, that is really outstanding, and Somewhere Far Beyond which to my ears is their studio masterpiece. A Night At The Opera is a bit special since it is very ... operatic : good too in its own way but maybe not the best place to start. Imaginations From The Other Side and Nightfall In Middle Earth are the two studio albums that received the most praise so they are good choices too.

The style of BG is very melodic speed/power metal with a few prog touches and anthemic choruses. I think Nicky would qualify them as "Sonata Arctica with b****"  ;D The biggest plus of the band is the vocalist, Hansi Kursh, who has a really incredible voice.

Check the numerous Wacken concert videos on youtube : try the songs Welcome To Dying, Valhalla, Otherland, Script For My Requiem, Bright Eyes, etc  ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2010-04-29, 13:55:56
I think Nicky would qualify them as "Sonata Arctica with b****"  ;D

You know, B****, the great thing about being proggie is that there are so many great bands with b****  *horns*

In fact with all them b**** around, you wonder why there aint more ladies  ;D

I'l give my Imaginations a run one of these days.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me