News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

The Voyager

Arena - "Songs From The Lion's Cage".

Teunis

About Camel - Rajaz

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-04-28, 08:52:24
Quite brilliant album, by far the best of the latter years output (although they haven't really done a bad album IMHO)

;D

I like the guitar playing on this album, but it is often too 'softy' for me, I prefer heavier stuff. But sometimes I'm in the mood for this one.

Now playing (and IMHO far better): Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Teunis

Quote from: The Voyager on Fri, 2005-04-29, 10:59:02
  Arena - "Songs From The Lion's Cage".

I have ordered this one. Have read so many positive reactions on this one, very curious!

The Voyager

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2005-04-29, 11:35:47
I have ordered this one. Have read so many positive reactions on this one, very curious!

Suppose, you won't be disappoited by this choice.  :D

Teunis

Quote from: The Voyager on Fri, 2005-04-29, 12:13:09
   Suppose, you won't be disappoited by this choice.  :D

I guess so  ;). I'll let you know here!

The Voyager

Lightspeed - "Waves". Good job.

Appelmoes??

Avril - How does it feel
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Teunis

Queen - A kind of magic

Appelmoes??

Opera Fanatica

"OOOHAAAAAHEEEEEEH!!!"
:D

My drawings on MySpace

gelert

Quote from: kmorse on Thu, 2005-04-28, 18:04:59
IQ - "The Wake"

Peter Nicholls couldn't sing on this one, either.

At the risk of starting a war, that's like saying that Jimi Hendrix's guitar is always out-of-tune...

Discuss.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

kmorse

I think Nicholls' voice got better after he returned for the "Ever" CD. On the first two albums he not only cannot carry a tune, he moans and whines and generally sounds like someone has him by the short hairs. His voice is down in the mix -- at least on the CD versions I have (Giant Electric Pea label).

In addition, the first two IQ CDs show a band that doesn't have its compositional house in order yet. The songs jerk around from section to section and lack transition. "The Wake" is an improvement over "Lush Attic" and some of the vocals even tend toward tolerable.

I like IQ's later stuff, but so far, I consider "The Wake" and "Lush Attic" as curios and not much more.

I also think that the comparison of his voice with Peter Gabriel's is a stretch, but everyone perceives that stuff differently.

I am curious as to why he left the group for a while. I don't know much about the group's history.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Deenfan

I've never heard really old IQ, apart from whatever there is of it on the "Lost attic"? CD. Their singer needs some getting used to, even today. Great one, by the way, Gelert, about Hendrix's guitar in tune... Very good. I agree that would be the same discussion! ;D

However, I like him enough to find him charming, in a way. Like a simpler Geddy Lee, almost. Ever and Subterranea are very good stuff. I think the two last are right behind.

But right now, I'm listening to the latest album from Magnum, Brand new morning. -A wonderful album!

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

Spad

.....Tangerine Dream - Livemiles II [27:08]......
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

The Voyager

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2005-04-30, 01:22:55 ... Ever and Subterranea are very good stuff. I think the two last are right behind.

My personal top-list of their last albums: 1. Subterranea, 2. The Seventh House, 3. Dark Matter. 4. Ever... And I can't rate Paul's singing very high. Though it's just a matter of taste.

Teunis

Knight Area - The Sun Also Rises (Dutch symfo, cool!)

kmorse

I would regard Peter Nicholls' (IQ) on the later albums as somewhere between "tolerable" and an "acquired taste." On some tunes, its quality is perfect for the song and other times wholly inappropriate.

I would add is this issue is one of the things that sets Arena apart from many prog bands: the vocals almost always seem appropriate in tone, not to mention in tune.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

The Voyager

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2005-04-30, 15:04:23
Knight Area - The Sun Also Rises (Dutch symfo, cool!)

Their debut album was highly acclaimed. Beyond reasonable measure, in my view.  :o

The Voyager

Pendragon - "Not Of This World".

Teunis

Xanxtuary

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair (the remastered version with all the wierd extra tracks on)

Be interesting to hear what their proposed new material will sound like.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Peter

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-05-01, 15:34:45
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair (the remastered version with all the wierd extra tracks on)

Be interesting to hear what their proposed new material will sound like.

Dear, what a great album. I especially like how "I believe", "Broken" and "Head Over Heels" with the live "Broken" flow into each other...

Oh, and they want to come out with a new album? Cool. They've always been special to me.... must add them to my list...!
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

The Voyager

Magenta - "Seven". Great album!

Moonloop

Mostly Autumn - Storms over Still Waters  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace